• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Pulling the tether out of the tree after rappelling

DOMMA

Jan 20, 2019
I am new to 1-stick climbing. I am practicing and getting better. One of the issues I have is retrieving the tether/rappel rope out of tree after the climb. I am using DynaGlide tied to a string just behind the knot holding the Petzl Oval Screw Link.

Any rough bark or limbs is making retrieving my rope difficult. Is there any tricks, other than climbing smooth trees with no limbs?

TNSTAAFL

SH Member
May 16, 2018
Research JRB hitch and Saddle Hunters Hitch (remote release variant). Both available on JRB website and YouTube channel.

Reactions: Samcirrus

DOMMA

Jan 20, 2019
It looks like it works but might be a little complicated tying this knot in the dark. I suppose I could use a head lamp.

Reactions: Brocky

Jimdude

Jan 9, 2021
New Jersey
Tip: don’t stand at the base of the tree. Back away at least 5-10 feet from it. That made a significant difference for me. I use an aluminum carabiner behind the knot. I don’t know for sure but I think the ability for the pull point to be able to slide around may also have an effect.

DOMMA

Jan 20, 2019
It looks like it works but might be a little complicated tying this knot in the dark. I suppose I could use a head lamp.
Easiest way I've found is to attach a nite ize s biner tied to some dyna glide straight to the screw link. I don't have much luck behind the knot like everyone shows. Straight to the link & I haven't had any more problems. Even through limbs or a deep crotch.

Can you show a pic?

Brocky

SH Member
Sep 27, 2020
de mitten
I am new to 1-stick climbing. I am practicing and getting better. One of the issues I have is retrieving the tether/rappel rope out of tree after the climb. I am using DynaGlide tied to a string just behind the knot holding the Petzl Oval Screw Link.

Any rough bark or limbs is making retrieving my rope difficult. Is there any tricks, other than climbing smooth trees with no limbs?
When pulling the Dynaglide, stand back a little, as stated, and sideways so that the tether isn’t holding the tension. Wiggle the rappel rope at first as you pull on Dynaglide.

TNSTAAFL

SH Member
May 16, 2018
If you are referring to the JRB knots, don't wait for dark/descent. Tie it as soon as you are are at hunting height. That way all you do is remove the locking biner and rappel down.

Loopwing

SH Member
Mar 10, 2020
Virginia
Yeah, don't wait until dark to hook everything up. I hook up my pulldown rope as soon as I am at height. I just have a small nite ize wrap holding the string. That way if i have to bail early then I am already set up.

Reactions: Pilk64 and Jimdude

TCaltagirone

SH Member
Jan 27, 2019
Wrap your dynaglide around your stick to help pull and like others have said step out from the base of the tree a couple feet. Also before rappelling down ensure your quicklink or carabiner connection is in a position to where it wont get stuck in the crotch of a limb and i always like to break the tension of the girth hitch if ive been hanging there for awhile to loosen its grip from the bark before rappelling down.

Reactions: Patriot

boyne bowhunter

Staff member
SH Member
Aug 17, 2016
NW Michigan
Unless I've climbed above a tight crotch or branch I have to worry about pulling my link back through I attach my pull down rope on the loose end of the rope right next to the link. Doing it as shown in the diagram on the right below greatly eases the force necessary to pull the girth hitch loose since you don't have to defeat the friction of the rope passing all the way around the tree. The down side is that this can leave the link in the tree which can make it difficult to pull through a tight crevice if there is one. You can pull the link down first if you have enough rope by pulling the rope down until you can reach the loop you're pulling then drop the pull down rope and grab the tag end and the loop you just pulled down. Pull the tag end while loosely holding the loop and letting the rope slide back around the tree and the link will come down out of the tree first.

Honestly though, if I've climbed over a tight crevice I hook up right behind the link on the backside of the tree and pull the link out directly. If it hangs up at all I find generally backing away from the tree a bit and then alternating pressure between the tag end of the rope and the pull down rope will work it loose pretty quick.

Example shown below:
Blue line = Climbing Rope, Grey line = Pull down string, Red Arrows = where rope has to move to come loose

1646009646687.png

Weldabeast

SH Member
May 23, 2019
Northeast Florida
What exactly is happening to give u problems?

If u have the room at back up 10-15 feet and pull from an angle and.not straight down. Wrap the rope under ur butt and sit down...if it still problematic undue the prusik/device untie.the stopper knot and pull the whole length of rope thru ....holding both the pull down and rappel rope and whipping the tar outta them can unseat a jammed link or knot. I girth hitch my mule tape pulldown rope roughly 6 inches behind the quick link like the super sweet drawing Boyne drew

Samcirrus

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Apr 14, 2020
All frustrations go away if you spend an hour learning the remote release hitches!!!
Then just attach your pull down line to your rope end loop.

Reactions: TNSTAAFL

DOMMA

Jan 20, 2019
Unless I've climbed above a tight crotch or branch I have to worry about pulling my link back through I attach my pull down rope on the loose end of the rope right next to the link. Doing it as shown in the diagram on the right below greatly eases the force necessary to pull the girth hitch loose since you don't have to defeat the friction of the rope passing all the way around the tree. The down side is that this can leave the link in the tree which can make it difficult to pull through a tight crevice if there is one. You can pull the link down first if you have enough rope by pulling the rope down until you can reach the loop you're pulling then drop the pull down rope and grab the tag end and the loop you just pulled down. Pull the tag end while loosely holding the loop and letting the rope slide back around the tree and the link will come down out of the tree first.

Honestly though, if I've climbed over a tight crevice I hook up right behind the link on the backside of the tree and pull the link out directly. If it hangs up at all I find generally backing away from the tree a bit and then alternating pressure between the tag end of the rope and the pull down rope will work it loose pretty quick.

Example shown below:
Blue line = Climbing Rope, Grey line = Pull down string, Red Arrows = where rope has to move to come loose

View attachment 62538
This makes sense - I will try it. Thanks.