• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

PURCHASE OR DIY CLIMBING METHOD

AccPrnHunter

I’ve been spending some time lately drawing up plans for some diy sticks. I’ve pretty satisfied with what I’ve come up with, but I’m still on the fence. From all my research on material, I’ll probably be close to $100 +/- a few bucks for material not to mention the labor of cutting the aluminum for stand offs and double wide steps. I’ll have to use a combination of table saw, chop saw, a grinder, hack saw, a drill for drilling holes and probably some filing. I know it’s a lot of labor involved, but it’s not like I’m doing anything. The design I’ve chosen is based off the beast sticks. I’ve had to take some educated guesswork on dimensions from some pictures and videos I’ve seen. I think I’m pretty close. I don’t work at all because of an accident I had in 2010. So I have the time. Or I can just take the easy way out and buy something new or used. If that’s the way I go, I need to decide on whether to use sticks or W.E. steps. I could use some advice or suggestions from of you guys. Opinions on positive and negative for either route I take. All the aluminum for the post, steps and standoffs I can purchase for about $73. I need to include hardware and an attachment method. I’ve decided on 1/4 amsteel and versa button if I commit to the diy. My post is gonna be 1” tube x 23-24”.

Attachments

1/4” is fine if you prefer it but I use 7/64 Daisy chain with absolutely no problems. The 1/8” is plenty sting and minimally bulkier

1/4” is fine if you prefer it but I use 7/64 Daisy chain with absolutely no problems. The 1/8” is plenty sting and minimally bulkier

I’m getting both. I just haven’t completely made up my mind. I may do W. E. I don’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good Deal, Just making sure. Where did you get the price from? Local or online?

Online. I’ve looked at a few different places. I’d like to get it all from one spot , but the prices fluctuate so much between vendors and sizes.

I built sticks out of parts from Dano, but bought the tubing from online metals. I bought 1/16" and 1/8" wall thickness. I used the 1/16" wall first and the top stick started to deform because I had a big top step on it. I remade it with the 1/8" tube wall and it was not that much heavier. I am also going to start one sticking.

With your tool list and all the work your about to ge yourself into I would say wait for the 100$ sale on hawk or api.

With your tool list and all the work your about to ge yourself into I would say wait for the 100$ sale on hawk or api.

I’m brain storming now! You know how it is when you’re ready to buy. I’m all over the place right now. Lol

i have the api huntn sticks i bought used / cut down on here and i like them. they are 99 new. it would be something to keep you busy building your own though

I cut this out of aluminum angle. I tried to use a mill my dad has and ended up using the mill with a drill bit to drill the holes and then cutting between the holes with a jig saw. I had to use cutting oil on the jig saw blade to keep it from fowling with aluminum.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200201-172258_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20200201-172258_Facebook.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 24
Cutting the step and standoff by hand will be difficult

Yeah I know it! That’s where all the labor is. The rest is easy. It’s almost not worth diy. The material cost almost as much as buying new sticks. I like the beast sticks which is why I’m considering the build myself. I can’t see spending $80/stick. That’s just unreasonable.

Back