• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Question regarding height

CharlieTN

Sep 21, 2019
Was watching a video of the one-stick method and the person claimed that they were at 20’ with three moves of the stick. As best as I could tell, their head might be at 20‘ but their feet weren’t. I’ve always measured the height my feet are at.

When you measure, where are you measuring at?

Height of top of the highest stick/step?
Height of platform?
Head height?

EricS

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Dec 14, 2016
Georgia
I usually talk height as in where my platform/ring of steps is located. If I say. Bottomed our my Doyle’s that’s 30’ to saddle.

cspot

Oct 6, 2019
I usually go by where my feet are. I don't really get too crazy most of the time with how high that I am. I seldom measure that distance. I go to where I think I need to be in the tree. I am not fond of heights so going in excess of about 15 or 20 ft isn't likely to happen.

gameflogger

SH Member
Dec 2, 2014
Texas
I usually measure height at where I need to be to see well with the canopy. Sure higher is better, but sometimes you can get so high that your line of sight diminishes and height becomes irrelevant at that time. In my opinion height is not as important as sight and cover.

Reactions: Recurveaholic

robstewart

Feb 4, 2019
I have a 30’ tether and a 30’ paracord line. I use that to estimate but basically that limits my foot height to about 24’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

enkriss

SH Member
Sep 13, 2018
Well... people also claim they can get up 20’ with 3 sticks and no aiders.... rrrrrrright!

Measure at the platform.

Reactions: Nutterbuster

boyne bowhunter

Staff member
SH Member
Aug 17, 2016
NW Michigan
To the platform as well. For me, it takes 4 to 5 stick moves (after the initial placement on the tree) to get between 20 and 25 feet.

Ontariofarmer

SH Member
Dec 25, 2015
Was watching a video of the one-stick method and the person claimed that they were at 20’ with three moves of the stick. As best as I could tell, their head might be at 20‘ but their feet weren’t. I’ve always measured the height my feet are at.

When you measure, where are you measuring at?

Height of top of the highest stick/step?
Height of platform?
Head height?

Watching some of @Cain s videos. I think he could do it. Walking up the tree pulling yourself up with a tether. If I was taller and I am not and 20 years younger I think it is doable.

Most of the time though you are correct. People exaggerate Likely 20 feet to their swelled heads not their feet. Being strong young tall and flexible it is likely doable. I am maybe one of the above
Most claims of height are subjective not objective
I like smaller moves when one sticking and I use an aider.
On my first move I can get over 6.5 feet pulling my self up with my tether. Then I get about 4 feet for for subsequent moves
Less seems to work for me. I can get more by reaching down and piling hard on my cam strap rope. That is often noisy and harder for a 62 year old so I don’t do it. One extra move with a lot less effort is often not any slower

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

bj139

Jun 13, 2019
SE PA
When the leaves are on the trees going higher often means your vision is obscured by the leaf canopy.

Reactions: bigjoe

enkriss

SH Member
Sep 13, 2018
Going higher may help cover wise but decreases your killzone window substantially especially at closer range. I personally don’t like to go over 20. I like the 15-18 foot range. I have 5 beast sticks might start only bringing 4 with me. Spine shot one this year... I hate that. Makes me feel terrible when I have to put another one in them.

Reactions: bj139

raisins

SH Member
Jan 17, 2019
Well... people also claim they can get up 20’ with 3 sticks and no aiders.... rrrrrrright!

Measure at the platform.

And do it safely and quietly from time of stepping to tree to when hanging in around 5 minutes....

elk yinzer

SH Member
Oct 23, 2017
State College, PA
Height is measured to your feet/platform. Period. I have my pullup rope ticked off every 3' just so I can get a good reference.

I get an honest 15-18' using 3 sticks with a CAYG aider. If I really stretch that out, I can hit 20. I find myself more often in the right tree with good cover 10-15 feet without even using the aider, than I do 15-20. I don't think I've been above 20 feet in the past two years.

Reactions: Ontariofarmer

raisins

SH Member
Jan 17, 2019
Height is measured to your feet/platform. Period. I have my pullup rope ticked off every 3' just so I can get a good reference.

I get an honest 15-18' using 3 sticks with a CAYG aider. If I really stretch that out, I can hit 20. I find myself more often in the right tree with good cover 10-15 feet without even using the aider, than I do 15-20. I don't think I've been above 20 feet in the past two years.

Sounds about right. Each of my sticks (cut heliums) have a single step up that is 23". With 4 sticks and a CAYG aider that gives me a 21" step, I can get 21 feet pretty easily and have gotten as high as 27 feet on perfect trees with light clothes and when I was feeling flexible. I probably average around 24 feet with 4 sticks though.

mattsteg

Sep 26, 2018

Measure at the platform.
You can probably get pretty close with full length sticks. Say you can stretch out 26 in between sticks and 42in to the first stick. 32 in sticks get you to 18 ft.

The last 2 ft are fantasy though.

Reactions: Nutterbuster