• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

HeartlandOutdoorLiving

I am just curious what most of you do with your leg straps when walking in, to your tree. Are you latching the legs straps from your vehicle and walking into the woods with them attached. Or are you not wearing the saddle to your hunting location?
The reason I ask, is some of the home made versions with the drag sit style don't even have leg straps, but I am wondering now if the ones that do have the leg straps if there is any issue with the straps causing blistering or hot spots when walking.
I may be over thinking it and if I am sorry, still learning, I know I don't want to get to the final spot and be all blistered up.
Part two of quick question, does the leg straps actually have any weight bearing properties or is it mostly a way to keep the saddle from sliding, I am just wondering how many folks have actually take a fall down through or possibly would have taken a fall down through the center if they didn't have the leg straps.?
Thanks again for not minding me asking questions and I hope you all have a blessed week.
42 days (not that I am counting.:) )
Dale

That’s another one of those personal preference things. I have always had them attached while walking in and have never had any problems with it bothering me. Some like to cover the buckles to reduce noise. Some like to buckle them together behind them. Some carry the saddle in a pack. Like I said, personal preference.

The people using the sit drag are usually pairing it with a rock climbing harness which does have leg straps. I wouldn’t say you are likely to fall out of a saddle without leg straps but you better have a good waist belt/buckle in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I don't like the straps around my legs walking in. I never have, even on the safety harnesses that come with traditional stands (probably the single biggest reason I rarely used them). On my Kestrel I keep the leg straps buckled but don't run them under my legs for the walk in. Once I get to the tree I unbuckle them and route them under my legs as they are intended.

I always have my leg straps attached when walking to the tree. It’s a matter of personal preference. But once I get up to hunting height I loosen them and my waist belt up. It makes a major comfort difference in my opinion. I’m not sure if the leg straps on the kestrel are load bearing but I believe so.

Man I hope everyone realizes that a Rock Climbing Harness MUST be worn with a Sit Drag style saddle. A lot of comments lately that leads me to believe otherwise.

Man I hope everyone realizes that a Rock Climbing Harness MUST be worn with a Sit Drag style saddle. A lot of comments lately that leads me to believe otherwise.

I don’t wear one. I did the first few times. Then stopped as did most people that started using a sitdrag.

Oh and attached I don’t like anything swinging around as I walk in I like to keep everything tight to my body

Thank you all for your comments, sorry for the delay, I spent all day trying to make a hunting saddle. I woke up wanting to see if I could make one and the question was based around a simple design and something easy enough I could make with limited resources. So thanks again for all your help and ideas on the wearability of the saddles. Thanks again guys, I will post up some pic if anyone wants to see what I come up with.
Dale

Share some pics. That’s what we do here!

I will, I think most of them are on my wifes phone, I need to get logged in on my phone and I will post some from work. I have most of it done, I have two long days at work, so I don't know If I will get it "Completed" this week. I plan to go out of town this weekend and work on the deer place as well.

Man straight fire , right out of the gate! Looks good, as for leg buckles go, last year I buckled them behind & just used the waist buckle on the kestrel for the hike in, then adjust at base of tree. This year I think I’m going to do same thing with kite, but take off & step through at tree before climbing up. Not sure we’ll see how it goes. I had my system down last year, only a slight adjustment this year.

On my first saddle type harness I would not put it on until i got to the tree. This was because it was a boatswain chair so you couldn't really walk in it. When i get my Mantis I plan to wear it in full up ready to go.

Man straight fire , right out of the gate! Looks good, as for leg buckles go, last year I buckled them behind & just used the waist buckle on the kestrel for the hike in, then adjust at base of tree. This year I think I’m going to do same thing with kite, but take off & step through at tree before climbing up. Not sure we’ll see how it goes. I had my system down last year, only a slight adjustment this year.
Thank you sir, I am trying and I think I will do the same, I will claps them behind me, I put leather in the center to beaf up the sewn overlaps, probably overkill, but I don't want to fall out,. I am going to try to take it out this weekend and try some trees, I don't have any trees at the house, so going to try it down SE oklahoma.
Thank you and thank you for taking the time to reply it is greatly appreciated.

On my first saddle type harness I would not put it on until i got to the tree. This was because it was a boatswain chair so you couldn't really walk in it. When i get my Mantis I plan to wear it in full up ready to go.
I get that, If I had a mantis, I am pretty sure I would to, it don't look like it would be a problem at all. It is on my list we shall see what happens. Thank you for taking the time to reply, it is greatly appreciated.
Dale

That’s another one of those personal preference things. I have always had them attached while walking in and have never had any problems with it bothering me. Some like to cover the buckles to reduce noise. Some like to buckle them together behind them. Some carry the saddle in a pack. Like I said, personal preference.

The people using the sit drag are usually pairing it with a rock climbing harness which does have leg straps. I wouldn’t say you are likely to fall out of a saddle without leg straps but you better have a good waist belt/buckle in place.

Yes sir makes sense, thank you so much for taking the time time reply, sorry for the delay, I have had two double shifts in a row, extra hunting money if you will Thanks again I appreciate you and your input.
dale

Personally I don't like the straps around my legs walking in. I never have, even on the safety harnesses that come with traditional stands (probably the single biggest reason I rarely used them). On my Kestrel I keep the leg straps buckled but don't run them under my legs for the walk in. Once I get to the tree I unbuckle them and route them under my legs as they are intended.

I think I will do the same with my little home made kit I am making, thank you for your input and have a blessed week, Sorry for the delay been working too much the past couple of days

No sir, the Videos I have seen, they look like sit and drag with nothing else, so thank you for the heads up and I appreciate you taking the time to not only reply, but give us the additional information on the safety rock climbing harness paired with the sit and drag, Thank you, it means a lot to me.
Dale

Not sure if that is sarcastic, but I would hate for someone to get hurt like that, slipping out of a sit drag.

Back