• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Quieting carabiner’s - how to?

Mag1

I am wondering what is a good way to cover and quiet carabiners? I have wrapped them in electrical tape (not great a quieting), tried heat shrink tubing (hard to get it to bend around the corners). What are you guys using? This would be for my tether Prusik. I haven’t tried it yet, but was thinking of wrapping one with tennis racket grip tape. Any thoughts?

I ran electrical tape (electrician here) last season and it was better than nothing. I ran it right over the hinges and it made them slow down and much quieter. I would like to see better options though.

I am wondering what is a good way to cover and quiet carabiners? I have wrapped them in electrical tape (not great a quieting), tried heat shrink tubing (hard to get it to bend around the corners). What are you guys using? This would be for my tether Prusik. I haven’t tried it yet, but was thinking of wrapping one with tennis racket grip tape. Any thoughts?
Vet wrap tape. It's a cheaper version of camoform. You can get it in camo on amazon. It holds up pretty well and when it starts to wear down you can easily replace it. I love stealth strips but I like the vet wrap tape better for places that see more contact and get worn down because it won't leave a sticky mess.

I use cheap electric tape - it is rubberized and works, easily available anywhere, and pretty effective.

well, maybe I'll just go back to the electrical tape. do need to get some tennis racket grip tape for my bow, may still try it. thanks

I put a small piece of tape in the back of the female portion.
60dd906c1da96bbbdfb297060bc6e6b5.jpg
b7d13391c1bfa103cf2b71968f970861.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I just chucked about a foot of core material from when I spliced my tether. Argh.......

Thanks for all the input. I may dig out my scrap stealth strip. I was just wondering if there was special/easy to do stuff. It’s been in the bow box the whole time.

I like heat shrink. Yes it bunches up a bit on the corners but so does everything else. You can cut a triangle out of it to mitigate this though. I just leave the section uncovered where the bridge rides or where the ropeman sits if it doesn’t fit over the heat shrink. It’s durable, silences well and isn’t sticky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fixing to plastic dip some and see if that works.

Performix 11203 Plasti Dip Black Multi-Purpose Rubber Coating Aerosol - 11 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006SU3QW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_vYmFBbCEKJGPN
Plastidip is only durable without abrasion. Any spray on product that requires adhesion, like paint, or Plastidip, prep is the key to getting it to stick, along with multiple, thin coats. To get it to stick well, I thoroughly clean all surfaces with alcohol, and then spray 5 coats, 30 mins apart. Then 2 clear coats, 30 mins apart. Thats a lot of work that I would hate to know you did to have it all come off the first couple of times that you use it.

Plastidip is only durable without abrasion. Any spray on product that requires adhesion, like paint, or Plastidip, prep is the key to getting it to stick, along with multiple, thin coats. To get it to stick well, I thoroughly clean all surfaces with alcohol, and then spray 5 coats, 30 mins apart. Then 2 clear coats, 30 mins apart. Thats a lot of work that I would hate to know you did to have it all come off the first couple of times that you use it.

I have done it yet. I did do some small hooks to hang my binos and quiver on today.

I ran electrical tape (electrician here) last season and it was better than nothing. I ran it right over the hinges and it made them slow down and much quieter. I would like to see better options though.

Not sure if someone already mentioned this, but I'm try out "Linerless Rubber Splicing Tape." It's thicker than elec. tape. Its a 0.76mm thick roll of rubber. The adhesive doesn't seem thick and gunky so I don't think it'll leave a mess on the carabiners.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191003-175043_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191003-175043_Gallery.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 53
Back