• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rain Gear?

oldsouth

Just want to throw this out there. I need some feedback on what everyone uses for rain gear. For years I brought out one of those Mossy Oak tree umbrellas and used that when it rains. It's not always the easiest to use when trying to hunt in good cover. Also this is my first year in a saddle and with the range the saddle gives me, the stationary umbrella will not do me any good. So back to my question, what kind of rain gear does everyone use? Does it really keep you dry?

@Anobody has some milspec Goretec for sale in the classifieds. In my opinion, it is hands-down the best at keeping anyone dry. It's noisy because it crinkles a little. But that's not an issue when it's already raining.

Mil spec packable it’s two things
Packable
Cheap but works

Thanks for the sale pitch, I saw the ad this morning and it's what sparked my interest to start this thread. Not really interested in buying any at the moment. Just looking for feedback and discussion on rain gear.

I think Sitka cloudburst is cream of the crop but not very packable. I have the Cabelas space rain in my pack for when I need to throw something on quick.

I’ve always used frogg toggs, but I do buy a new set every yearor two if I’m lucky...

Keeps me bone dry tho!
$35-45 bucks ain’t too bad either.

I used to have a set of frogg toggs and felt like after a little while the rain would slowly seep in and soak me. Is that why @Mschmeiske you buy a new set every year? Or another reason?

I got soaked last year in a monsoon after it started seeping in so I picked up some Rivers West after the season. I have both the Frontier and Pioneer. Will see if it works as hyped but can’t be worse than what I had.

Last edited:

61h%2BECX1JxL._AC_SL1006_.jpg

I got soaked last year in a monsoon after it started seeping in so I picked up some Rivers West after the season. I have both the Frontier and Pioneer. Will see if it works as hyped but can’t be worse than what I had.
What gear were you in that starting seeping in? Frogg toggs??

I used to have a set of frogg toggs and felt like after a little while the rain would slowly seep in and soak me. Is that why @Mschmeiske you buy a new set every year? Or another reason?

I usually put a hole in the crotch or knees from hopping fences, briars or resting my knees on a tree while in the saddle.

I don't run rain gear from hunting companies. It's too expensive for what you get and the top stuff doesn't go on sale. I would watch the deep discount sites (sierra trading post, campsaver, steep and cheap, mountain steals, and the occasional clearance on rei, backcountry, etc) and buy a jacket and pants with Goretex 3 layer pro shell (that is if you are going for breathability) from one of the top outdoor companies (Arc'teryx, Outdoor Research, etc). They just have a bigger market share and research money (developed a lot of the tech that hunting companies use). You should be able to get a jacket for $150 that would cost you $800 if it was made by a hunting company and was camo (if any hunting companies even make something comparable). But this requires patiently looking once a week until you strike gold.

The type of membrane matters very much, especially regarding low term durability. The single layer type are compromised very easily. The dirty secret is most hunting companies use the cheapest goretex available (paclite.....I'm looking at you Sitka). I have a Sitka Downpour jacket and would not recommend it. I got it half off, but full price was over $300 and is paclite and has design flaws.

There are a few proprietary membranes that mimick goretex 3 layer pro shell, such as Helly Hansen Pro. I have an HH Odin jacket and pants that I like very much.

For sitting in the rain where breathability is not important, then a total blocking layer keeps me much more comfortable than goretex. I run Helly Hansen Impertech at that time (what deep sea fishermen often wear).

Lastly, venting is more important than breathable membrane. I won't buy a jacket that I will wear while walking any distance that does not have pit zippers at least. I forget who did the study, but around 95% of the water vapor that escapes a jacket leaves via the openings in it and not through the goretex or whatever.

Last edited:
I use cabelas space rain.
I have also been known to get creative.
57B7B8BE-EA5A-4C8E-ABB6-5B62AADF94ED.jpeg
I now own a monstrosity made by hawk. I haven’t used it yet in the rain but judging from initial setup it will keep me dry. I just need to hire someone to pack it in and set it up for me.
BFE66294-BBBE-4EB0-984F-69202EBF2FE8.jpeg

Back