• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Random Musings From Your Resident Contrarian and Underage Curmudgeon

kyler1945

SH Member
It seems like the marketing tsunami has largely left the site and migrated to facebook. I'm grateful to Admin for making that happen. Still, we all see shiny toys, and have to touch them and talk about them. And we still get a huge influx of new users to the site. The bait has been dropped in front of them. They know it seems too good to be true. So they stop in to the most trusted institution - SH.Com

I'm going to ramble on about a few things that I tend to go against the grain on, or am in the minority on. If you've got similar feelings, but are afraid to speak up, lest the fanboy tribalism carry you to the stake for virtual burning, I'll be the martyr. Now that I've offered my neck, join me! Let's give young hunters on a budget, or adult onset hunters looking to avoid wasting money a thread to help them cut out some nonsense.

I'll start this by saying that 90% of deer hunting success is a product of the space between your ears, and the space you park your rears. 5% is how much time you use those spaces. And 5% is the gear you use to support the effort. So above all else - go hunt, and worry about gear less, generally.

In no particular order...

I hate rubber boots. I hate putting them on. I hate taking them off. I hate slipping in the mud because of crappy treads. I hate the squeaks they make. I hate how bad my feet sweat in them. I hate that people think somehow that the scent pouring out the top of them and falling to the ground is any less than the scent left by regular hiking boots, tucked into your pants or not. I hunt about as wet an environment as you can hunt in the lower 48. I wear the same boots I wear elk hunting in Colorado as I do in the swamp. It works 75% of the time. For the other 25, it's either warm enough I don't care if my feet get wet - and I can wear the lightest breathable hikers I have, or if it's colder I wear chota hippies inside wading boots. I could see a place for a pair of rubbers with the yoder's chaps for this portion of hunting. But mostly, I cringe when I see dudes hiking hills and busting brush wearing rubber boots. Buy a pair of hiking boots. Your ankles and feet will thank you.

For the inexperienced HUNTER, with a compound bow, I hate 750 grain arrows, and multipin sights, and expandable broadheads, and shooting at deer past 30 yards. I know that's pretty random and disjointed. But really what I mean to say is with a little common sense, a little back of the envelope math, and leveraging millions of shots at deer, You can come to a pretty simple conclusion. Shoot a single pin sight, at deer from 0-30 yards, with a 500-600 grain arrow, with a cut on contact razor sharp broadhead. On a broadside shot, follow the back of the leg up, and shoot at the line separating the lower third of the deer from the middle third. Adjust according to your elevation and the deer's angle to you. That's it. Of course you can tweak any of these things till the cows come home. This the no nonsense, get it done way that allows you to focus on what actually matters in deer hunting - your brain, and the terrain.

I hate climbing sticks. I don't mind a single climbing stick. But packing and unpacking multiple sticks, accounting for them on the climb up, trying not to make noise with multiple pieces of metal all just doesn't make much sense to me. When you factor in every single facet of a climbing method - cost, amount of fiddling to get it ready to hunt, packing and unpacking it, climbing up and down with it, safety, etc - they're all pretty close in sum. The tradeoff of several pounds of sharp metal that must be dealt with before and after a hunt doesn't make any sense to me. I've tried it every different way.

I hate single panel saddles. Yup - I said it. Every single one that I've tried, save the latitude classic with the vertical reinforcements(I need to try it), all end up being the same. You're trying to manage both pressure squeezing your hips, and that pressure concentrating across two pieces of 2" webbing. You can adjust tether height, bridge length, angle of platform. And then you will experience diminishing returns as you try to overcome pressure. It just IS. You can only do so much. I will say that I tolerated this for a couple seasons, until I've gotten familiar with the Hybrid. The fact of the matter is no matter what little tweak or gadget or cut pattern or material that you add to your soft single panel saddle system, you're managing pounds per square inch on muscles and bones that like to experience less of them. If you're not at least trying a double panel saddle, you're missing the boat. My personal opinion is that even the double panel saddles are not good enough, but it seems to be a big enough of a jump that most people should be trying them. Disregard all the marketing about being sleek and light and cool and part of a club. Get your hands on a double panel saddle and thank me later.

That brings me to my next point. Saddle Hunting is not a "thing". I hate that it's become a trend. Smart people have figured out a way to exploit one of the strongest forces in human nature - fear of loss. It's been happening for years, and isn't unique to saddle hunting. Marketing smarty pants have figured out that if you tap into a person's fear, uncertainty, and doubt, they will subconsciously begin to alter their behavior. A person perfectly capable of having hunting success will slowly have their self confidence eroded, and in it's place, a belief that the next piece of gear will be the key to their success. Then their success doesn't change. But their wallet sure is lighter...This isn't an accident. A saddle is just a tool. It has certain advantages over other methods of hanging in a tree. But it comes with some tradeoffs too. In fact, all gear, like most things in life, should be considered in tradeoffs, not just upside. Sometimes it makes sense to hang from some thread facing a tree. Sometimes it doesn't. Use your noggin, and don't let the folks using your money for their second homes and hunting trips convince you otherwise. Speaking of sometimes it doesn't make sense to be in a tree...

I hate that people think you HAVE to climb a tree to hunt deer. Being in a tree serves three functions in hunting circumstances: Sometimes being elevated gives you a better vantage point in certain types of terrain/vegetation. Sometimes being elevated can change the way your scent is carried on the wind. And sometimes being elevated gets you out of a deer's line of sight to draw your bow to make a shot. If being in a tree does not improve your ability to spot deer in cover and/or shoot them, or if being in a tree doesn't change how your scent travels on the wind, or if being in a tree does not improve your odds of being able to draw your bow without being spotted, There's no point in climbing a tree. Think about the time, effort, anxiety, noise, and safety risk that comes along with climbing a tree. Find deer - they usually are where they are. Then figure out how to get in a position to kill them. That might involve getting in a tree. But oftentimes, it doesn't. Your saddle is a tool. Your climbing methods are tools. Use the best tool for the task at hand. I have killed as many deer from the ground at this point, that I have from a tree. Don't make me start pitblindhunter.com...Speaking of only climbing a tree when it makes sense...

Don't climb a tree unless you have really good odds of having a deer that you can shoot, walk under you. Good spots, and lots of time you'll never get back, get wasted sitting in a tree with nothing to show for it. Does the risk, time, effort, etc. make sense if you have a 1/100 chance of a deer coming through? Does having the deer know you're in an area, and that reducing the odds of them being in that area during daylight make sense? Or does it make more sense to use those 2-4 hours doing something to improve your odds of success? I personally feel really stupid when I sit in a tree for 4 hours and don't see a deer. Some folks say you can't kill a deer sitting on the couch. Well, you can't kill them if they're not underneath you, either. If you're the type that just needs peace and quiet away from the wife and kids and job, and sitting still for four hours with no activity is the goal, I'm for it. But if you want to kill deer, there are much more productive things you can do towards that end besides sitting in a tree for hours on end. Go find deer. Wear hiking boots not rubber boots and go burn the soles off of them. Do it in offseason, or during season. But find the deer. And don't get in a tree until you KNOW they'll be walking under it that day. You stack up enough hours and understanding of how deer behave and where they are behaving, you'll whittle down the number of hours needed to scout. Your saddle is a tool. Your climbing method is a tool. A tree is a tool. Use them when they make sense.

Shifting gears a little - I'm a proud badge wearing member of the safety/fun police. But I'm not the person that thinks you shouldn't take risks. In fact, it's the opposite. We've become a very fragile culture in a short period of time. It happens to any wealthy society. We are all afraid to fail, so we just want someone to give us the answer. I want people to fail. I want people to take risks, and fall flat on their face. But I'd prefer this stuff happen in figurative form, not literal. You sit in a tree all day because you're afraid to go get in a deer's kitchen and "blow them out." F That - they're deer. Their brain is tiny. Go get in their kitchen, and hide in the pantry. But when it comes to climbing a tree, and doing it "safely", I think this "just tell me what to do" attitude, combined with big egos, is a recipe for death and serious injury.

Climbing off the ground, to any height, is taking a huge risk. Our bodies are designed to be on the dirt - standing, sitting, kneeling, or laying in it. That design didn't happen overnight. It happened through those folks who understood it living to pass that understanding to their kids, and those that didn't, becoming said dirt. You cannot eliminate all the risk that comes along with getting off the ground. But having a good understanding of how accidents happen, and leveraging the tribal knowledge of the climbing community, will get you as close to zero as possible. The best place to get this knowledge is NOT facebook. It's not even here at SaddleHunter. There are three places to get this information - Books on climbing gear and technique written by competent members of the climbing community, the manufacturers of climbing gear, and certified climbing instructors.

This site, and hunters generally, are pioneering a novel use of tree climbing. But tree climbing itself is pretty evolved. You should keep in mind that people on the internet are just telling people what they think they should do as a signal that they want to be on the same team. They are not telling you what to do because they have any idea what you should actually be doing. They have no basis for giving advice or opinions besides their own anecdotal evidence - at best - and just a baseless opinion at worst. Don't listen to someone on the internet when it comes to climbing gear or techniques. In fact, DON'T ASK a person on the internet for advice or opinions. What you will get from them has a negative value to you. It does not help in ANY way. Seek advice from folks who are qualified and competent.

To anyone giving advice to random strangers on the internet on what equipment to use or how to use it - I hate when you do that. Am I guilty? Yes. This isn't finger pointing. This is acknowledging that this is a bad idea. Part of it is that your advice or opinion is unfounded, and generally useless to the people seeking advice. But the biggest reason is the way that information on the internet scales. Think about how hard it is to read the tone in this post? Can you tell if I'm just a jerk, or I'm trolling, or I really actually care. It's pretty hard to decipher. The reality is that it's a little of all three. Unfortunately, any person with enough money or mobility to get access to the internet can voice their opinion, or state their own facts. And, anyone with enough money or mobility to get access to the internet can read that information, and make decisions based off of what appears to be valid opinions, or useful facts.

This comes down to math. You can take the risk of a failure or injury or death from a number near zero, to something very far away from zero, with just a couple of posts on the internet. Promoting an unsafe climbing method, or the wrong gear on the internet will increase the denominator - that is the number of people potentially using the bad idea or method. 1,000,000 to 1 is a .0001% chance of failure. But if 10,000 people watch your video or view your post, and just 100 people follow suit, it increases to a .01% chance. Let's say those folks use the method or equipment 10 times each in a season - That means someone is going to experience a failure that could end their life or alter it significantly by way of serious injury. The ONLY difference is that the bad idea was shared on the internet.

I don't think people should not climb trees - I just think folks have a fundamental misunderstanding of the risks. And if they were better informed, and thought about it the right way, they can put themselves in a much better position safety wise. Another big help is not climbing a tree for no reason!

I'm fully aware I'm a hypocrite, and quickly turning into an old bat way too young. This is meant to be a little provocative, and get people fired up - in a good way. So please, share your dislikes, or different ways of doing things. Hopefully it will be constructive, and maybe save someone some time or money. And who knows, you might just learn me a thing or two - for that I'd be grateful!

I hate pouches full of stuff on saddles. I can't understand how a pouch containing a lineman's rope is any different than a lineman's rope daisy chained and clipped back to itself. I can't understand why you wouldn't just clip your tether daisy chained to itself on the opposite lineman's loop, and deploy at height.

It's like the new badge to have your saddle brand stamp on your butt, and two pouches hanging off your hips.

It's almost like a dating profile

Kyler1945 - Hates super heavy arrows, super light arrows, and marketing departments. Loves the JX3 and one pin sights zeroed at 30 yards. Thinks most people are stupid, but is smart enough to not come out and say that.

NutterBuster - Hates any saddle he's hunted from more than 7 times and carrying things. Loves drilling trees, murdering baby deer, and hunting on the property line. Thinks most people are stupid, and is funny enough that he can say that and get away with it.

I kid, I kid. What was this thread about again?

Oh yeah, stuff I hate.

I hate that nobody makes a saddle in mossy oak bottomlands except for trophyline. I hate archerytalk threads the way a fat lady hates ice cream. Can't stay away from it and then you hate yourself the next day. I hate bottom straps digging into my butt. I hate posts asking, "Where on this topo should I hunt?" I hate seeing pictures of saddle hunting setups that are bulkier and heavier than my old hand climber. I hate people who killed their biggest buck on a south wind.

And I really, really hate that little debbies went from 25 cents to 59 cents.

I can't tell if you're trying to help or just aggravated.

90% of deer hunting is not between the ears. It only takes a minute to look at some successful hunters and realize it's not because of brain power. I'd say if you have a decent spot or two....75% of it is how often you can be there...time. To kill them, you need more than 5%. 5% is ridiculous.

When I use dump pouches, I carry no backpack. Depending on room I may stuff the linesman belt if cover is thick. Otherwise it carries hangers, gloves, water, bolts, etc.

I hate pouches full of stuff on saddles. I can't understand how a pouch containing a lineman's rope is any different than a lineman's rope daisy chained and clipped back to itself. I can't understand why you wouldn't just clip your tether daisy chained to itself on the opposite lineman's loop, and deploy at height.

It's like the new badge to have your saddle brand stamp on your butt, and two pouches hanging off your hips.
I wish I would've taken a pic of the mangled mess of rope and cockleburs daisy chained and clipped to my lineman loop after using my pouch to haul in a ring of steps and not my usual tether rope.....:) My lineman rope remained unscathed and happy in it's pouch on the other side.

I can't tell if you're trying to help or just aggravated.

90% of deer hunting is not between the ears. It only takes a minute to look at some successful hunters and realize it's not because of brain power. I'd say if you have a decent spot or two....75% of it is how often you can be there...time. To kill them, you need more than 5%. 5% is ridiculous.

When I use dump pouches, I carry no backpack. Depending on room I may stuff the linesman belt if cover is thick. Otherwise it carries hangers, gloves, water, bolts, etc.

"90 % the space between your ears, and the SPACE YOU PARK YOUR REARS" - caps for emphasis on where you hunt. And the second most important thing I pointed out was time spent there.

We agree in principle, but likely could bicker over exact numbers. Probably not worth the bicker!

I wish I would've taken a pic of the mangled mess of rope and cockleburs daisy chained and clipped to my lineman loop after using my pouch to haul in a ring of steps and not my usual tether rope.....:) My lineman rope remained unscathed and happy in it's pouch on the other side.

Haha I rode by ebike through a sea of cockleburrs up to my eyeyballs. lineman's daisy chained on one side, tether on other. I looked like a cockleburr bush when I stopped on other side. Head to toe. Covered. The thirty seconds of cockleburr removal on my ropes I would've saved having them in pouches wouldn't have made a material difference in the time spent on total cockleburr removal.

Side note - that journey was way less painful the first time through when they were all soft and green. I look like I got in a fight with a bucket full of baby squirrels today.

You really are going to have to get back to pre-coved full time work. I didn't read a single word of your post....:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Lucas version - Tell me something that you think everyone does in saddle hunting that is dumb, overrated, or pointless.

Time.....that's my issue. I have killer spots and can't get in them when I want/need to.

Case in point....last week. Super windy day. Went in and drilled two trees before taking my daughter to hockey practice. 455 one of the Booners is under my set. Two days later, 1255. Then again on the 7th before dark while I was at a 4 o'clock wedding. Who gets married the first week of November.....ohhhh, one of my friends.

Here are a few responses and contrarian points of my own:
  1. As with everything, there are trade-offs for rubber boots compared to hikers. The single biggest reason I wear rubber boots is that when I spray them and my pants with permethrin and tuck my pants legs into my boots, I get zero ticks or chiggers. As someone who contracted the AlphaGal allergy from a tick bite as a 10- or 12-year-old (but thankfully outgrew it/developed immunity in my 20's), avoiding those blood-sucking demons is my top priority in the woods, even above killing deer. I don't think they're less scent-shedding, and my feet often get wetter from sweating in them than they would from stepping in the occasional puddle or creek in hikers. Were it not for tick prevention, I'd wear a comfy pair of hikers ALL THE TIME.
  2. People would kill more deer if they spent more time practicing with their current bow/arrow setups and limiting their shot distances and choices and less time tinkering with arrow weights, inserts, etc. Sure, that stuff helps the top 5% of folks who already have their proficiency dialed in, but there are way too many guys who use the "pie plate test" to verify accuracy, then turn to their arrow/broadhead setup and far too few guys making sure they're grouping 3" or less at 20 yards (or whatever their max self-imposed shooting distance is).
  3. I agree that using multiple climbing sticks sucks, but it's probably the least-bad option for hunting places where you can't drill into trees or use spurs.
  4. Pouches are great. They add almost no weight to my saddle and keep things neatly organized. I don't understand the downside other than cost for folks who need the money for other gear.
  5. For guys hunting smaller private-land parcels (100 acres or less) year after year who also already have a bunch of tree stands, saddles are an inferior option to preset stands, especially ladder stands. You'll never convince me climbing a tree with bolts and my linemans belt and dangling in my saddle is safer than climbing a ladder and tethering in or climbing screw-ins up to a lock-on while using a ground-to-height safety line. Also, preset stands are quieter to get into and out of, and can be more comfortable than saddles. Most importantly, I wiggle far less sitting with my back to the tree than I do swinging in the saddle; maybe that's a "me" thing, but it seems an awful lot of folks on here are the same. That said, saddles are great for: (a) hunting public land; (b) guys who don't have a barn full of tree stands already; (c) guys who don't want to hunt the "old faithful" tree but instead want to consistently hunt new spots. I love my saddle, but it is definitely not replacing my preset tree stands, especially on the family farm I hunt with my dad, who doesn't own (or want) a saddle.

Haha I rode by ebike through a sea of cockleburrs up to my eyeyballs. lineman's daisy chained on one side, tether on other. I looked like a cockleburr bush when I stopped on other side. Head to toe. Covered. The thirty seconds of cockleburr removal on my ropes I would've saved having them in pouches wouldn't have made a material difference in the time spent on total cockleburr removal.

Side note - that journey was way less painful the first time through when they were all soft and green. I look like I got in a fight with a bucket full of baby squirrels today.
Lol! Fair enough but dump pouches are so tacticool!

And I'd agree that deer hunting is not a particularly intellectual pursuit. I hate folks who complicate it or try to pitch big bucks as wise old warriors or cunning survivalist or whatever.

They're goats who will try and hump a rubber decoy...

Now that’s funny. For the longest time I thought people were hunting some intellectually mutated deer in the North. Figured out they were just embellishing to make the kill story better or the skunk story more palatable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate FB and all the drivel it contains. And speaking of that, I absolutely hate the PFA posts. Post about anything, e.g., a Doyle’s hoist, and attach a pic of the biggest buck you shot. Those narcissistic doofuses!

And I hate that i was sick with the flu (not sure If COVID or not) all last week. Went to go out Saturday and screwed up my right ankle. Now I am hobbling around during the best time of the season.

I hate the weird decisions made to save a few ounces (using Oplux for climbing line or using Oplux as a rappel line with devices not meant to work on that sized rope) that result in people taking unnecessary risks. And I was an "ultralight" backpacker. Cutting the handle off my toothbrush (never actually did this) can't result in death. I love being and seeing curmudgeons!

Back