• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rangefinder Sights Worth It???

alex_sebh

Feb 14, 2023
I'm using a Trophy Ridge 5 pin sight. Nothing fancy. Rangefinder sights look totally awesome, but man are they pricey! Has anyone used one and can say whether they're practical enough to justify the price?

raisins

SH Member
Jan 17, 2019
If your bow is over 250 fps and you have a handheld laser rangefinder and you aren't shooting over 40 yards, then I don't see the point and think every upside has more downsides. Same with the EZV sights, you couldn't pay me to use one.

bowhuntr09

SH Member
Jul 28, 2018
Midlothian, VA
I love my Garmin Xero A1i. Don’t plan to ever be without that or similar. Why range with one hand, put it away and draw your bow when you can just draw your bow, press a button to range and automatically get a pin for that exact distance and angle?

raisins

SH Member
Jan 17, 2019
I love my Garmin Xero A1i. Don’t plan to ever be without that or similar. Why range with one hand, put it away and draw your bow when you can just draw your bow, press a button to range and automatically get a pin for that exact distance and angle?

I just range all around the tree at landmarks and memorize that. That way I don't have to do anything when my nerves act up due to a buck walking in and I'm always ready. Also, don't have to do anything if the deer is moving around. If your bow is reasonably fast and you have 2 or 3 pins, then shooting out to 40 yards is easy if you've ranged around the tree. I have only ranged a deer's body once and I was putting one out of it's misery (someone else shot) and it was bedded down far away. Instead, I just know the range to around 4 to 8 objects around the tree.

bowhuntr09

SH Member
Jul 28, 2018
Midlothian, VA
I just range all around the tree at landmarks and memorize that. That way I don't have to do anything when my nerves act up due to a buck walking in and I'm always ready. Also, don't have to do anything if the deer is moving around. If your bow is reasonably fast and you have 2 or 3 pins, then shooting out to 40 yards is easy if you've ranged around the tree. I have only ranged a deer's body once and I was putting one out of it's misery (someone else shot) and it was bedded down far away. Instead, I just know the range to around 4 to 8 objects around the tree.
I used to do that as well, but there are a lot of things that can go wrong. You can have a brain fart at the moment of truth and forget what range that spot was. If you’re using a single pin slider, you can forget to move your pin. If your using a multi pin you could inadvertently focus on the top pin when you meant the next one. Lots of things can happen in the heat of the moment on the human side.

Now sure, there is a slight chance my electronic ranging sight could fail at the exact moment I need it most, but I will take odds that that is less likely to happen vs the human error factor.
Animal moves, doesn’t matter, press the button at the tip of my bow hand index finger and get an instantaneous updated pin for new range. It literally couldn’t be easier. I know they are not for everyone either because people are technology averse, not legal in all states, or too expensive.

Reactions: raisins

Camelcluch

SH Member
Oct 2, 2020
Just like everything, lots of pros and cons. Not every state allows them but you won’t ever forget your rangefinder. Could fail but looks cool. I’m sure we can go on. You really need to decide if the pros out weigh the cons. But let us know what you think after you buy one.

bowhunthard88

SH Member
Apr 9, 2020
Dingmans Ferry, PA
I've used the Garmin Xero sight(s) since 2018. If you can do it, do it. There are definitely more pros than cons; but definitely consider price, legality (your location and possible future hunts), etc. I haven't been able to make mine fail, and I originally bought one to see where the breaking point was, although I'm sure someone has figured out a way lol. I'm actually removing one from one of my setups due to range calculation constraints, but I'm keeping one on my primary hunting bow.

Islandshooter

SH Member
Nov 19, 2018
Flagler Beach, FL
I used to do that as well, but there are a lot of things that can go wrong. You can have a brain fart at the moment of truth and forget what range that spot was. If you’re using a single pin slider, you can forget to move your pin. If your using a multi pin you could inadvertently focus on the top pin when you meant the next one. Lots of things can happen in the heat of the moment on the human side.

Now sure, there is a slight chance my electronic ranging sight could fail at the exact moment I need it most, but I will take odds that that is less likely to happen vs the human error factor.
Animal moves, doesn’t matter, press the button at the tip of my bow hand index finger and get an instantaneous updated pin for new range. It literally couldn’t be easier. I know they are not for everyone either because people are technology averse, not legal in all states, or too expensive.
Or…you can range all around except for downwind. I mean, what are the odds that the thermals will drop straight down just before dark and the big buck you’ve been chasing for a week will follow a doe right through your scent cone??? I got lucky and guessed the range and double lunged him. But thats the season i bought my Garmin. Love it still.

Attachments

• 65CD9CB5-E9B9-4776-B93F-245D3DF6944A.jpeg
    65CD9CB5-E9B9-4776-B93F-245D3DF6944A.jpeg
    428 KB · Views: 28

Exhumis

SH Member
Mar 12, 2019
Northern Virginia
I also shoot a garmin Xero. My primary reasons are: I hunt a couple different properties with different characteristics open terrain vs heavily wooded, etc. I also was tired of ranging then storing the range finder then retrieving it then storing it etc. Yes I’ve preranged trees and objects before to set distances blah blah but that’s hit or miss for me depending on circumstances. I also had a single pin which I liked but depending on distance you have to remember to add/subtract height or move your pin. The Xero you can set up with preset pins as well as the ranged pin. I really like the ranged pin option as it gives me more flexibility. I don’t have to fiddle with the range finder anymore. The other thing I like about it is it’s fun, and it’s that what this is all about? Having fun?
I had the chance to fiddle with the Burris in a bow shop but I liked the garmin better. The Burris is too busy for me.
Edit: fwiw I bought mine used for a bit less than half what they go for new. No way I was gonna buy one brand new.

Last edited:

alex_sebh

Feb 14, 2023
Yeah I'm not at the point now to where I could swing it, but I definitely think I'd like to try one. Maybe the Burris because it's a lot cheaper, but the Garmin really looks like it's the best made.