• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

rappel line management

Dmathews87

Currently with my rappel line i unravel it all and climb and it hangs down during my entire hunt, and while i have had deer right up on my tree like this that didnt seem bothered, im looking to do something different. I really dont like the pouches on my saddle with all my rope and ive tried several of them. Anybody leaving the excess in their pack or some other method i might wanna investigate?

If I am one sticking I only pull out what is needed for the climb and the rest stays in the pack until time to get down. 2TC and hunting with a stand, I use the rappel rope for a pull up for the stand and generally just let it hang. Never had a deer react to rope hanging to the ground.

If I am one sticking I only pull out what is needed for the climb and the rest stays in the pack until time to get down. 2TC and hunting with a stand, I use the rappel rope for a pull up for the stand and generally just let it hang. Never had a deer react to rope hanging to the ground.

that was pretty much the plan, any issues with interference while you climb with it being on your back? I imagine with enough slack out its no issue...

This year my rappel / tether will most likely be in a pouch on my pack, right with me on the way up with extra rope tucked in that pouch hanging on the pack hanging on the tree when set up. Trying pouch on left side so that when I hang the pack the pouch is right there. Only small downside I see so far is a little bit of rope movement if I do much tether movement when positioning for a shot. Edit: have considered putting the rope in the pack water bottle pocket to the side, I just don’t like reaching back awkwardly.

I use SRT. I pull up the rope and wrap a foot piece of Paracord with end loops around. Then hang the rope package on my gear strap under my pack.

My rappel rope serves double duty as my bow line. It all comes out and I'll wrap it up while pulling my bow up. It gets stuffed into my dump pouch on my saddle until I need to deploy it to get down.

My rappel rope serves double duty as my bow line. It all comes out and I'll wrap it up while pulling my bow up. It gets stuffed into my dump pouch on my saddle until I need to deploy it to get down.

I use mine to pull up bow as well, im just not a fan of the weight\bulkiness on my saddle with the pouch and rope...

I use mine to pull up bow as well, im just not a fan of the weight\bulkiness on my saddle with the pouch and rope...
I use an oversized pouch. The top connects to my saddle and the bottom has a leg strap that alleviates some of the "pull down" feeling on the saddle. I also use that pouch to pack SRT gear and I can stuff my saddle in their too so all my gear is in 1 pouch. I made it and I'm not sure if anyone is selling anything similar to it...or if there's any sort of market for it.

I use an oversized pouch. The top connects to my saddle and the bottom has a leg strap that alleviates some of the "pull down" feeling on the saddle. I also use that pouch to pack SRT gear and I can stuff my saddle in their too so all my gear is in 1 pouch. I made it and I'm not sure if anyone is selling anything similar to it...or if there's any sort of market for it.

interesting concept....i have a condor drop leg molle panel i could potentially rig something onto...

@Dmathews87 I always wrap around the trunk. Only a very small limb is necessary to hold the mandatory Paracord loop preset at height. You need eventually climb up one time with a ropeless method to install the preset. A screwed in bolt can also be the small limb.

Back