• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rappel line remote release

Hello everyone,

I am thinking through trying out one sticking this year. I like the ability to carry one stick and rappel at the end of the hunt. The only hangup I’ve come up with so far is retrieving rappel line once on the ground. A lot of trees I end up hunting in have large limbs that I have to work around. I wasn‘t sure how it would be possible to retrieve my line with large limbs on the way down until I found the JRB saddle hunters hitch remote release variant. This looks like the perfect system for me but I do have a few questions.

Is there any other hitch method that works in a similar fashion with the remote release? For comparisons sake I am interested if anyone has a similar knot.

Does anyone have any experience using this method with larger diameter rope? I was looking at using HTP Static 11mm line so I can stick with the Ropeman for my tether adjustment when hunting.

Any other creative ideas for retrieving line in limby trees?

Thanks for your time!

I used it all last season on 8mm. For me, it was sketchy at first and not very easy to tie but it works as advertised. I don’t see how larger rope would make any real difference. I will continue to use it.

Hello everyone,

I am thinking through trying out one sticking this year. I like the ability to carry one stick and rappel at the end of the hunt. The only hangup I’ve come up with so far is retrieving rappel line once on the ground. A lot of trees I end up hunting in have large limbs that I have to work around. I wasn‘t sure how it would be possible to retrieve my line with large limbs on the way down until I found the JRB saddle hunters hitch remote release variant. This looks like the perfect system for me but I do have a few questions.

Is there any other hitch method that works in a similar fashion with the remote release? For comparisons sake I am interested if anyone has a similar knot.

Does anyone have any experience using this method with larger diameter rope? I was looking at using HTP Static 11mm line so I can stick with the Ropeman for my tether adjustment when hunting.

Any other creative ideas for retrieving line in limby trees?

Thanks for your time!
Hey brother. I know of 3 options.

1. About 2 years ago, there were some using the "Stone/Stein knot and Fiddlestick ". Its sometimes used by mountaineering folk. I don't recommend it.

2. In fact, that was my main motivation for devising the JRB Hitch. This is what I use and recommend. I am attaching a video link. I have used it on all kinds of ropes including stiff ones. Tying anything on a stiff rope is always a bit more work, but it performs great.

3.The other option is the remote release option on my "saddle hunters Hitch". I suppose it's a little easier to tie than the JRB.

I have another option coming soon... this one is easier than all to tie but its not exploding and so anything ya gotta drag around the circumference of the tree is going require a good pull.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

If you want to KISS it:
4. Choke line and attach retrieval line when convienient, pull down when on ground. If in doubt line will pass over branch, test while up there setting it.
View attachment 63563
I have a very similar setup. I just tied a paracord prussik loop to my rappel line in same area you show. I only use it about 25% of the time, whenever I'm over a tight crotch I might have trouble pulling the biner back through. It's pulled tight and it just rides there on my rappel line in case I need it.

Most times I'm either not above a branch or its a straight horizontal branch exit. In those cases I just hook up just opposite of the tag end right next to the hitch biner and simply pull the rope out to loosen the girth hitch and the whole loop falls down the tree or I pull the hitch biner out over the flat branch after I've pulled the tag end out. There's less friction around the tree to overcome this way.

Keep your connection the way Brocky has it hooked up ( the correct side of the delta link) one can also tie an Alpine butterfly in the same position for pull down. This type of connection keeps friction to a minimum especially when encountering branches when coming down.

If I remember right, even a little farther back is the ideal location for easiest release. I got this info from TreeSpyder on TreeBuzz, very knowledgeable but takes patience and an open mind to pick up what he’s putting down.

Lot of good stuff over on Treebuzz-I have met a few of them and climbed with Kevin Bingham in the early days of the Ropewrench development. I made a couple of prototypes out of Lignum Vitae wood( one of if not the hardest woods) they used to use them as babbots(bearings) that the old ships would run through. It is not only hard but is self lubricating with it's natural oils- smells very nice also. Those guys over there live it and make a living out of efficient climbing.

That is the ships propeller shafts ran through them as a bearing surface.

Kenny (TreeSpyder) never fails to leave me completely lost with his writing, but thankfully he also puts a bit of labor into his drawings with an older flash art image program and that usually drives home the point he’s trying to convey. He’s taught me a lot over the years, really brilliant guy.

Back