• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rappel rope?

Scooter1234

Thoughts on this rope for rappelling?

edfa43bbf110f653c7d888595e804b59.jpg

f97f174d200ba106011e407bf763d886.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is exactly the right rope for rappelling, IMHO.
Rock climbers rappel on dynamic rope all the time. It should be safe.
The rope you show is listed as a single rope which means it is intended to support a climber with a single line.

Last edited:
It’s probably fine but I’d go with the canyon 9mm or the ultra tech 8mm. Both are on eastern Woods Outdoors

I've rappelled MANY times on dynamic rope. Recreational, tactically and in rescue/training. It works fine. I wouldn't call myself an "expert" by any means but from personal experience it works great. They key with any rope for rappel is rope maintenance and edge protection. I like to keep a rope log that holds me accountable in terms of checking over my ropes from top to bottom and all the way around. Just like checking a fire extinguisher or looking at your bow sting/cables.

This rope would work great for rappelling and would also make a good tether that would offer a small measure of shock absorption in case of a fall.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

At least you shouldn't have trouble finding it in your backpack.

Campsaver.com usually has good deals on sterling rope.

I should add I’m 240 lbs haha

I wasn’t sure about t his rope simply bc of the lower Kn ratings

I should add I’m 240 lbs haha

I wasn’t sure about t his rope simply bc of the lower Kn ratings

Those ratings are impact forces to measure stretch not breaking force. Climbing ropes don't usually provide breaking strength which should be much higher.

On Rope 1 is a good source for ropes - they have been serving the carving community for years and very knowledgeable.

you can buy rope direct from sterling, I purchased some 10mm stuff from them last week, they shipped it in a day
and I had it here in two days from Maine
good to deal with

Back