• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rappelling hardware

diuilin

I'm trying to put together a rappelling setup, and I'm seeing a wide variety of options. I assumed that I'd need a figure-8 and then something like a Ropeman, Kong Duck, Madrock Safeguard, or even a prussik for safety and as a parking brake (e.g. for removing my stick). Any guidance for a late-onset hunter just getting into saddle and one-sticking? From what I can tell, Garrett (DIY Sportsman) rappels with just a Madrock Safeguard. Can you really use these devices to achieve a safe, steady descent? As for ascenders in general, you can buy rock climbing ascenders for a little under $30; so why are these much more expensive devices so popular? Thanks!

I will share my stuff lol

I started as just rappelling with:

Oplux, grivel 2x8, triangle quick link and hollowblock autoblock

You can use this to 1-stick too. Might add some 6mm TRC to make distel but hollowblock could work.

Then I got into SRT and added:

Canyon c-IV rope and safegaurd to rappel.

Safegaurd is not required unless SRT but it is simple and easy to control descent without autoblock.

Oplux 8mm, a black diamond figure 8, and a prussic. Is minimalist. Im stupid, and don't use the prussic and reppell in a very unsafe but easy manner with just a figure 8 and a rope.

If safety is your bag get a gri gri or listen to everyone else. But the way I run my figure 8 as long as it is loaded with weight no worries.

de0718d9b015a749f85b99066c6139b0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I use to rappel a lot when I lived out west and was a lot younger so I thought to myself I would just do the figure 8 its cheap and simple..... Then I tried using a gri-gri and was completely hooked why wouldn't I want to safeguard my self from falling usually my hands are cold by the end of my hunt and I couldn't tell you how many times that I have started to climb down only to have a deer coming up a trail. with a self braking device you can stop right where you are and possibly get a shot.

All you really need is a grigri or a safeguard IMHO, I dont back my Grigri up with an autoblock. If I am going to take my hand off the tag end of the rope I tie an alpine butterfly knot as a stopper.

I will edit to say that I also have a figure 8 sewn to my hunting vest, with instructions, just in case I drop or damage my grigri as an emergency descent option. But I climb SRT, if you are one sticking, your stick is your emergency descent option.

I did have an incident last weekend where i was showing my brother my saddle stuff and when i went to rappel with my safeguard, i must've pulled the handle too far, or not focused enough because i fell about 8 ft to the ground and had a nasty rope burn on my tag end hand. I think i will switch to backing up my safeguard with an autoblock in the future.

Luckily the ground was real mossy and i didnt break my ankle because i landed with my entire weight on my left foot.

Be careful out there and stay safe

Hot Butt Rappel. Rewind to the beginning for the full story after watching the smooth rappel.

I did have an incident last weekend where i was showing my brother my saddle stuff and when i went to rappel with my safeguard, i must've pulled the handle too far, or not focused enough because i fell about 8 ft to the ground and had a nasty rope burn on my tag end hand. I think i will switch to backing up my safeguard with an autoblock in the future.

Luckily the ground was real mossy and i didnt break my ankle because i landed with my entire weight on my left foot.

Be careful out there and stay safe
That's the good thing about the Grigri+ is it has the anti-panic feature. If you pull the handle too far it locks up and you have to reset the lever to descend again.

That's the good thing about the Grigri+ is it has the anti-panic feature. If you pull the handle too far it locks up and you have to reset the lever to descend again.
How well does that feature work?

I have a gri + for that reason but I stopped using it. Why? The safeguard is lighter and if I back it up with a friction hitch then I won’t drop anyways

I think so much of the gri gri +. I would sell it for $25 less than the lowest price you can find on the internet
88f734534782f07cf0095d244e2196bf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Seems to work pretty well. Usually don't close enough to the break point on the panic trigger to activate it.

Oplux 8mm, a black diamond figure 8, and a prussic. Is minimalist. Im stupid, and don't use the prussic and reppell in a very unsafe but easy manner with just a figure 8 and a rope.

If safety is your bag get a gri gri or listen to everyone else. But the way I run my figure 8 as long as it is loaded with weight no worries.

de0718d9b015a749f85b99066c6139b0.jpg

As a former rock climber (haven't done it much in quite a few years), I've never seen a figure-8 wrapped that way. Is that a saddlehunting technique? something for smaller ropes? or what? It definitely looks like it would provide a lot more friction than the more usual method.

As a former rock climber (haven't done it much in quite a few years), I've never seen a figure-8 wrapped that way. Is that a saddlehunting technique? something for smaller ropes? or what? It definitely looks like it would provide a lot more friction than the more usual method.

Figure 8 auto stop mode.

But it is dangerous as if there becomes slack in the rope, it can work out of the figure 8 and then one goes splat.

Neat thought, but an autolock looks like it might be safer. We each weigh our risk tolerance to activities and make our own choices.

It looks like this guy uses it for ascending.

Figure 8 auto stop mode.

But it is dangerous as if there becomes slack in the rope, it can work out of the figure 8 and then one goes splat.

Neat thought, but an autolock looks like it might be safer. We each weigh our risk tolerance to activities and make our own choices.

It looks like this guy uses it for ascending.

I wouldn't use any method where I might go splat. :D

I was trying to use a figure 8 as a progress capture for srt, this setup allows you to stay in place unless you pull down on the smaller loop of the figure 8. The second you release the friction stops descent.

Thanks for all the advice. I ordered a Safeguard for tether/rappel line and a Ropeman 1 to replace the prussik on my LB. Moosejaw has a really good sale going right now if anyone else is looking. I got both for a total of $116.55.

You’ll like the safeguard. I just got one. Took 10 min to get ok with the decent. I’m much more proficient now. But o didn’t mind the arc and prussik at all.

Back