• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rappelling setup

PEEJAY

SH Member
What are your thoughts on this setup guys? 40ft of that rope woul be under 2 lbs i think...if i did my math right. Screenshot_20200405-123537_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20200405-123523_Chrome.jpg

Do you have any experience rappelling? The setup you have on your cart would work for sure, especially if you have experience. That plate gives you a lot of options for tying off if you need to stop and retrieve a platform/sticks on the way down. Just make sure the hollow block bites easily on your rope (assuming you will have that tied below your plate as a backup).

Do you have any experience rappelling? The setup you have on your cart would work for sure, especially if you have experience. That plate gives you a lot of options for tying off if you need to stop and retrieve a platform/sticks on the way down. Just make sure the hollow block bites easily on your rope (assuming you will have that tied below your plate as a backup).
No i dont have any experience but i dont think i will have an issue i will practice lower before full height. Thanks for your response. And yes, i was planning on setting it up just like you said with the hollow block below

If you're one sticking, is it any easier or even worth it to use a full length rope and climb up connected to it like you would for a life line getting up into a preset tree stand? Does anyone do that? I see everyone using just a tether and moving it up the whole time as you go . I feel like you wouldnt have to worry about branches if you could do the paracord thing for a preset and set up the rope. Im just trying to learn all this and have never tried it so im probably missing something. I already have a stick with a top platform and figure this would be a possibilty instead of buying all the extra stuff to ascend. since i want to rappel anyways and would have enough rope in the deal im gonna buy.

If you're one sticking, is it any easier or even worth it to use a full length rope and climb up connected to it like you would for a life line getting up into a preset tree stand? Does anyone do that? I see everyone using just a tether and moving it up the whole time as you go . I feel like you wouldnt have to worry about branches if you could do the paracord thing for a preset and set up the rope. Im just trying to learn all this and have never tried it so im probably missing something. I already have a stick with a top platform and figure this would be a possibilty instead of buying all the extra stuff to ascend. since i want to rappel anyways and would have enough rope in the deal im gonna buy.

Some guys are using their rappel line 40-50' as their tether with a 9' tether/linemans rope to go around branches. Its really up to you, find what works best for you and what you're comfortable with. I'm personally still carrying my tether and linemans rope along with my rappel line until I settle on a preferred climbing method. This past season I climbed with the WE steps with knaider/swaider however had a few instances of steps popping up after a couple hours in the tree, they are hard to reset from above when you're getting just under 6' per move. Having a rappel line with would be a great back up for those instances. I have also started playing around with one sticking, not sure if the climb is any faster/quieter but rappelling down is a lot of fun, and I think its the easier option for my old lady who is tired of using a climber lol.

I am using my rappel line to climb and to hunt from. I carry a shorter tether for going around limbs.
The preset paracord is a viable option, especially if you want to SRT climb. However, if you are going to use a paracord loop and pull up your rappel rope, make sure you practice in the woods and in the dark like you would hunting. It’s not as easy as it is in your yard.

I used to do the same as @mtsrunner but found that my OpLux was fraying too quickly for my liking (moving it up the back side of the tree). Now I almost always use a short section of 9mm HTP to ascend and my OpLux to descend.

I am using my rappel line to climb and to hunt from. I carry a shorter tether for going around limbs.
The preset paracord is a viable option, especially if you want to SRT climb. However, if you are going to use a paracord loop and pull up your rappel rope, make sure you practice in the woods and in the dark like you would hunting. It’s not as easy as it is in your yard.
Can you explain why you need a tether for going around limbs. I cant picture it in my head. You cant just stay on the same path as the main rope?

In one stick climbing they move the tether up the tree as they go. There is not always a limb as high was they want to climb to throw a line over, but there could be a lower limb they have to go around/over. There is a video I'll try to find.

Can you explain why you need a tether for going around limbs. I cant picture it in my head. You cant just stay on the same path as the main rope?
You need to have something to hang from while you move your main rope farther up the tree.

Ok i think i understand. Yea if you can find a vid id appreciate it

In an instance where it was high enough though...you wouldnt need to advance it or use your tether? Like if you had it at the same height you would for SRT

This is what I want to do as well. I believe you shimmy your "tether" (rappel down rope up) as you go using a screamer instead of your regular bridge then once at hunting height, stay connected and get your hunting tether out and set up onto your normal bridge you will use and then take the transition over to this while building slack up into your rappel set up use used to climb up with. These are my thoughts on it right now.

Sorry, I will clarify. If I am SRT climbing, then no, I don’t need another rope to go around limbs. If I am using bolts, LWHC, sticks etc. then I would need an extra tether.

I used to do the same as @mtsrunner but found that my OpLux was fraying too quickly for my liking (moving it up the back side of the tree). Now I almost always use a short section of 9mm HTP to ascend and my OpLux to descend.

I was seeing some fraying, too. I added a 4’ piece of tubular webbing which serves as a friction saver and also keeps the girth hitch from sliding down as I climb.
The downside is that is makes it more difficult to pull the rope down after rapelling.

In an instance where it was high enough though...you wouldnt need to advance it or use your tether? Like if you had it at the same height you would for SRT
Yes. You wouldn't need another tether if you don't go higher than your SRT tie in point.

Back