• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rappelling / SRT (Oplux or Predator)?

sad_story

Oplux or Predator for:

1) Rappelling only
2) SRT and/or Rappelling

Looking for opinions, pro/con

Thanks!

Predator might be hard to get
Oplux is expensive

I see you picked these two ropes an 11.4mm and an 8mm. It sounds like packability is not your top priority so I would cross oplux off the list.

Why not just get some HTP or Ultratech? Cheaper than both of those and it will be more packable than predator.

Last edited:
@enkriss thanks for the response. Oplux is my first choice specially because of packability, I had an opportunity to get new predator on a deal/trade so i was considering it...

But after sleeping on it, I will hold out for the oplux as weight and packabikty is my priority.

8 mm Oplux and 8 mm ultra tech will pack about the same. 9 mm ultra tech will have much more bulk. I have both.

9mm ultra tech is $1.69 per foot.
8 mm Oplux is 1.89 per foot.
9mm HTP. $0.89 per foot.
Get the Oplux. IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Definitely should consider 9mm HTP over most larger ropes. It’s a purpose built rappel rope and works great for SRT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back