• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rappelling Video

emrah.oruc.7

Hey guys. I know rappelling down after one-sticking is really popular now, but I made a video showing some issues that made it not a great choice for me. First off, I’m NOT trying to bash or prove anyone wrong if they choose this method of getting down. It’s simply a video detailing some things to think about if you’ve never tried it and are thinking about giving it a go.

Also yes, I know there are devices such as the Madrock Safeguard that makes things a little easier.

Again, this video is not meant to bash or say your experience will be like my experience. I’m just trying to educate folks on some issues related to rappelling. Look forward to your thoughts.

Emrah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would choose not to rappel As well, if I used the equipment you do, and in the manner you use it.

some thoughts though:

- You only need one pull up rope - drop your bow, clip the opposite end to your girth hitch before descending. You dont need a second rope.

- store both your rappel rope and pull up rope while hunting, using the figure 8 method. Rope plays out perfectly every time and never tangles.

- most climbers keep at least one extra carabiner for an emergency. You would be wise to do so as well. That extra carabiner should already be on you for connecting to your rappel device.

- even though I don’t think using a basic rappel device is clunky or a pain, someone can spend a few extra bucks for a safeguard or equivalent, and remove the need for two setups - they can hang from the safeguard while hunting.

The devil is in the details. If you practice with your system, and use the right tools and methods, rappelling down will be safe, quiet, fast, and require little to no extra equipment. The kit can add as little as 6 ounces to your kit or as much as 2lbs. It depends on money and desire for ease of use. If you don’t practice, and have a system incorporating the most moving parts, it will probably not feel like it’s worth it.

I would choose not to rappel As well, if I used the equipment you do, and in the manner you use it.

some thoughts though:

- You only need one pull up rope - drop your bow, clip the opposite end to your girth hitch before descending. You dont need a second rope.

- store both your rappel rope and pull up rope while hunting, using the figure 8 method. Rope plays out perfectly every time and never tangles.

- most climbers keep at least one extra carabiner for an emergency. You would be wise to do so as well. That extra carabiner should already be on you for connecting to your rappel device.

- even though I don’t think using a basic rappel device is clunky or a pain, someone can spend a few extra bucks for a safeguard or equivalent, and remove the need for two setups - they can hang from the safeguard while hunting.

The devil is in the details. If you practice with your system, and use the right tools and methods, rappelling down will be safe, quiet, fast, and require little to no extra equipment. The kit can add as little as 6 ounces to your kit or as much as 2lbs. It depends on money and desire for ease of use. If you don’t practice, and have a system incorporating the most moving parts, it will probably not feel like it’s worth it.

Spot on ^^^

When I watched your video my first thought was...Huh? Where is the problem? You make the switch over so nicely. Carrying 3 extra small things doesn't seem like a problem to me. Slow down when you make your videos. You were making me nervous just watching it and I'm only on my second cup of coffee. :)

I rappel down. I understand when you say it's not for you, but the gear you have I feel is wrong.

First it looks like you're using a ropeman 1 or 2. Cannot really tell...second your autoblock should be tied better. Third...your bow line can be your rope retrieval line as well. Lower your bow...hook the top of your bow line to the girth hitch and when on the ground...disconnect your bow. Walk backwards about 10-15 feet from the tree and give it a pull. It will come out.

Here is my equipment.
Rope: Oplux 42'
ascender/descender: Grivel plus or safeguard.
backup: 6mm TRC line tied into a distel hitch with scafford knots connecting to my carabiner

I come out of the tree very smoothly with the Grival plus or a little less with the safeguard but smooth enough.

Technically all u need to rappel is the rappel rope,pull down rope, and a carabineer....2 of those things u more than likely already carry

" Third...your bow line can be your rope retrieval line as well. Lower your bow...hook the top of your bow line to the girth hitch and when on the ground...disconnect your bow. Walk backwards about 10-15 feet from the tree and give it a pull. It will come out. "

Yea i agree. im not following why OP would need 2 ropes...

for devices...a sterling ATS (not atc) makes things easy and simple

god bless you if 1 sticking down is easier than rappelling in the dark. i feel just as safe trying to jump.

Last edited:
" Third...your bow line can be your rope retrieval line as well. Lower your bow...hook the top of your bow line to the girth hitch and when on the ground...disconnect your bow. Walk backwards about 10-15 feet from the tree and give it a pull. It will come out. "

Yea im not following why you would need 2 ropes...

for devices...a sterling ATS (not atc) makes things easy and simple

god bless you if 1 sticking down is easier in the dark. i feel just as safe trying to jump.

Edited because I did not read the post clearly.

Last edited:
Thanks for making the video. Watch the solo scout videos that red beard has posted. As others have said, it seems you have complicated the process. red beard has since switched from an atc to a safegaurd, but heck that could be outdated info by now as well. lol He hooks up his atc as soon as he gets in the tree, and his bow rope unhooks from his saddle and connects to the main tether before he even pulls up his bow. So several things that were a pain for you are easily addressed before you even start your hunt. Systems are constantly evolving.

One rope for my long tether that I have a secondary use for rappelling. One 30' of 550 cord for bow pull up or lowering...same as you do. This is what I clip into my girth hitch/quick link.

You have a bridge and lineman's--I do as well. You have a short tether...I do too.

If you feel safer one sticking in the dark...then more power to you. Good luck and be safe.

Wait are you talking to me or OP. I was agreeing with your post and tallking to the OP about everything lol. i just edited my post that was confusing

I switch to a figure 8 to rappel down but can do it with the safeguard. I am just a lot smoother with the 8 because I have used it so much. So many methods but important to be comfortable with what you are using. Be Safe!

Thanks for the video and starting the conversation. Some good points have been made above. Another technique to consider is you can easily switch to a texas style rapel with what you already have on the rope. You already have the top ascender of the texas system in place. Your back up hitch can become the foot portion of the system. On the way down it may not be as fast as a grigri or safeguard but it’s pretty good. It’s also not as smooth with hitches compared to ascenders but I think it is worth considering.

I don’t know that you are but I prefer not to use the Kong Duck with climbing methods that introduce slack in the tether, such as 1sticking, since it is not a fall arrest device.

I don't want to pile on...but this feels like a lot of extra complexity. Especially when you're already hanging from 2 tethers. If you don't like rigging an ATC, just rig one of them with your rappel rope + a safeguard, and hunt ready to descend.

Wait are you talking to me or OP. I was agreeing with your post and tallking to the OP about everything lol. i just edited my post that was confusing

Sorry...after I posted that I went back and looked it over. Then my students needed help and I totally forgot about editing the post. my apologies.

You guys make very valid points. It never occurred to me to use the other end of my pull up rope to use as a pull-down rope, probably because it’s always girth hitched to my saddle on one end. Easy enough solution. Duh!

A lot of problems can be alleviated by using a Safeguard too, and I do acknowledge that in the vid.

I guess I’m not a fan of having such long rope. This is PURELY because of my choice to run two tethers for safety.

I’ve done both Grivel Figure 8 and Black Diamond ATC. A horse a piece as far as bulk goes but the Grivel is noisy.

I guess my biggest issue was having to tie an autoblock, hook up another carabiner, etc. Yes, I’m probably making it more of a big deal than I should. Oh, and btw, I DO tie a proper autoblock. I just rushed it in the video just for demo purposes.

Oh and lastly, whoever said to slow down when I talk, you’re right. When I make a video it seems totally normal to me. When I go back and watch it, I find I speak way too fast and my arms and hands are flailing everywhere lol. Trying to not do that.

I might give the Safeguard a go in the future. It’ll do double duty to hang from as well as rappel from.

Thanks for the inputs.

Emrah

Another option, especially since you're going dusl tether, would be to use a firmer holding hitch on your second tether and use that in place of your autoblock when rapelling. Depending on bridge length it could be above or below (just keep it where it can't get caught in the device. At that point you're just adding your rappel device and maybe relocating where you're clipping in your existing hitch.

Question for you guys:

Do you back up your Safeguard with an autoblock of some sort or just rely on the device?

Emrah

Question for you guys:

Do you back up your Safeguard with an autoblock of some sort or just rely on the device?

Emrah

I just rely on the device. It locks up on its own long enough to take my platform and stick off the tree. Also, as someone pointed out above, I attach one end of my pull up/down cord to the rappel rope before I lower the bow. That way I only need one length of string.

Thanks though for posting an opposing viewpoint, sometimes people only read the good sides of a process and don't consider (or even hear about) the potential downsides to a method. The beauty of this is we can all pick and chose our methods. I'm a rappel guy myself but I still one stick down the tree several times a year just to keep in some sort of practice. You never know when you may need to and is a good skill to have in your back pocket.

Last edited:
Back