• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

RC harness help!?!

Jamieross14

Getting a little nervous I wont have my saddle in time so I've started to look at different options. I like the way a sit drag and rock climbing harness looks. What harness do you guys reccomend?
Also..I just started hunting and have only used a climber (which I wasnt a fan of) and a regular stand.

Getting a little nervous I wont have my saddle in time so I've started to look at different options. I like the way a sit drag and rock climbing harness looks. What harness do you guys reccomend?
Also..I just started hunting and have only used a climber (which I wasnt a fan of) and a regular stand.
I have a Mammut Ophir 3 slide. I would reccomend it but there are many choices out there.

I have a Mammut Ophir 3 slide. I would reccomend it but there are many choices out there.
I know I'm probably missing something here but what do you do for climbing with the rc harness....Linemans belt? seems like most harness's dont have the loops.

I know I'm probably missing something here but what do you do for climbing with the rc harness....Linemans belt? seems like most harness's dont have the loops.
You can hook your lineman's belt to the belay loop or you can rig a simple "belt" around it utilizing the rated loop in the back. There are several ways to do it, just depends on your preference.

Get 2 climbing runners 10-12 inch and girth hitch them around your harness. Just be careful where you put them, anything inside the harness can get uncomfortable depending on climbing methods.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I use a misty mountain Gym Dandy harness. The waist band is 1-3/4 or 1-7/8. This allows me to run it through a piece of 2” climb spec webbing and then 1” climb spec webbing through that too. Then tie water knots at the ends for loops. No way, in a fall/catch is it going to slide up to my armpits if a zip tie snaps or whatever other way to affix linemans belt to RC harness.

I really do not understand how this option is not more popular here.

d5276955315d870e4993ff9c73932b07.jpg

I bought an inexpensive arborist harness of of amazon for my harness. Since it’s an arborist harness it has the linesman loops already sewn in.

I bought an inexpensive arborist harness of of amazon for my harness. Since it’s an arborist harness it has the linesman loops already sewn in.
Which one did you buy? I bought a Mammut Ophir 3 but realized it doesn't have a rated loop in the back to support webbing for a linemans loops. I'm returning it, but would really rather have something with the loops built-in.

I use a misty mountain Gym Dandy harness. The waist band is 1-3/4 or 1-7/8. This allows me to run it through a piece of 2” climb spec webbing and then 1” climb spec webbing through that too. Then tie water knots at the ends for loops. No way, in a fall/catch is it going to slide up to my armpits if a zip tie snaps or whatever other way to affix linemans belt to RC harness.

I really do not understand how this option is not more popular here.

d5276955315d870e4993ff9c73932b07.jpg

This is bad ass! I need to do it ASAP!

It all makes sense. Thanks!

I should have mentioned it in my original post. That is one length of webbing, forming loops at both ends. So, not only is it sewn to the harness on the right and left sides, but it wraps the harness and goes through the loop in back. My theory was that I did not have to rely on my sewing for support because the webbing wrapped my body. The sewing just keeps it in place (although that thread is very strong and the three rows of really ugly sewing is certainly structural).

Which one did you buy? I bought a Mammut Ophir 3 but realized it doesn't have a rated loop in the back to support webbing for a linemans loops. I'm returning it, but would really rather have something with the loops built-in.
YXGood harness on Amazon.

Thanks, @Jgetch. And no issues with pressure from the metal rings while sitting in the sit-drag? That was my reservation with that style of harness.

Thanks, @Jgetch. And no issues with pressure from the metal rings while sitting in the sit-drag? That was my reservation with that style of harness.
The only metal ring is the center ring for the tether. The tension era are metal but they lay flat and the sit drag doesn’t go over where they are. Likewise the “rescue clip” (think that’s what it is) on the back of the harness is In the small of your back above the sit drag. When I used a sit drag I never had any issues with comfort from the harness. My issue with the sit drag was hip pinch and that’s why I hunt from a preacher seat now. Although I am thinking about revisiting the sit drag again this season for some shorter sits.

The only metal ring is the center ring for the tether. The tension era are metal but they lay flat and the sit drag doesn’t go over where they are. Likewise the “rescue clip” (think that’s what it is) on the back of the harness is In the small of your back above the sit drag. When I used a sit drag I never had any issues with comfort from the harness. My issue with the sit drag was hip pinch and that’s why I hunt from a preacher seat now. Although I am thinking about revisiting the sit drag again this season for some shorter sits.
Do it! Sit Drag all the way!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have a Petzl Corax and a Black Diamond BOD. Both are inexpensive, comfortable and work well for their intended purpose.

Back