• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Really happy with my system

Bama_Xander

As a saddle hunter we are always tweaking things and wondering if there is something better out there. This year I made a few changes and at this moment I am completely satisfied with my system. Granted, that could change in a month, week or hour from now :tearsofjoy:.

The changes I made:
  • I went from full length beast sticks to the mini beast sticks. They are much more packable, a bit lighter, get caught on less things and even fit inside my tote.
  • I went from the regular Predator to the Predator XL. It was a minor weight increase (essentially even with the lighter sticks) but the extra room makes sits so much more comfortable. It also is much easier to shoot the weak side shot. I see no difference in packability or setting it up. All positive gains.
  • I am using the Predator pack with two SYS haulers attached instead of my Myster Ranch Pop-up 28. I loved the MR Pop-up but it was heavy (almost 5 lbs). I got it to be ready to pack out deer but oftentimes you don't kill and the extra weight is unnecessary. Also, it's likely I am gonna take the stand, sticks and weapon back to the truck before packing out so now I just keep it in the truck/boat and can grab it to pack out a deer when I bring the gear back.
  • I decided I didn't want to change to an Amsteel rope mod or Amsteel daisy chain. I researched them hard but at the end of the day I decided I like the cam buckles. They are stealth striped so they are quiet. They aren't that much weight and they are so good at holding sticks to the tree. This one has the greatest chance of changing but those mods are quite expensive so I would like to try a friend's before buying.
  • My wife got me a Cruzr XC for Christmas last year and I have got to put it to use this season. I really like it. It is very comfortable for me over the Phantom. Not that the Phantom was uncomfortable, the Cruzr XC is just very comfortable for a minimal increase in weight/bulk.
  • I got the Tethrd Suspenders. Those are real nice. (Insert Uncle Eddy gif). They make it easy to put the gear on and off and keep it where it needs to be. Great product Tethrd!
  • I went from 11mm to 8mm rope. I like that a lot. It packs easier and the sheath doesnt get caught on the tree as much as my 11mm type did.
  • I've continued use of the Backwoods Mobile Gear Versa aider. This thing is a dream. It works so well. It allows me to take just 3 mini beast sticks on almost any hunt. The exception would be for hillier country. I mostly hunt river bottoms so it's not often that I bring all 4.
  • I am also carrying my sticks the @DaveT1963 method with paracord attached to the backpack strap hanging at your side. This is real nice to get through stuff and I don't have to take off my pack to start climbing. See video below:

With all these changes I can put my sticks, platform in the predator pack with the SYS haulers, and fully loaded saddle in a regular plastic tote. This is really nice for loading up and moving gear. This system is also trim and light. I have found it easier to carry and easier to get through thick brush. It is also efficient when I get to the tree.

As I mentioned in the beginning, oftentimes we are unhappy and always wanting more. I am satisfied and feel really good. It doesn't mean I won't tinker and tweak at all but my wife and wallet can be happy that it probably won't involve any more purchases soon. :tearsofjoy:

Great thread. Agree with many of your conclusions. Appreciate the video link as it is one I missed previously and will be using both stick management ideas. Always learn things from @DaveT1963.

Still like to tinker though. So many new ideas on here, and new products on the market. Of course, most don't fundamentally change things.

One area I'm still unsettled on is my system needs during our colder weather gun seasons up north. Carrying extra layers, losing leaf cover, longer sits, and firearm range all seem to change my system expectations. For example, 3 sticks and CAYGA which are a dream in October, totally suck in Nov./Dec.

But for 4-5 hour archery hunts in 50-70 degree weather, a light backpack with a small platform, 3 sticks and an aider, and a Recon leave me quite content walking in/out, climbing up/down, & sitting/leaning. Not much reason to change any of that.

As a saddle hunter we are always tweaking things and wondering if there is something better out there. This year I made a few changes and at this moment I am completely satisfied with my system. Granted, that could change in a month, week or hour from now :tearsofjoy:.

The changes I made:
  • I went from full length beast sticks to the mini beast sticks. They are much more packable, a bit lighter, get caught on less things and even fit inside my tote.
  • I went from the regular Predator to the Predator XL. It was a minor weight increase (essentially even with the lighter sticks) but the extra room makes sits so much more comfortable. It also is much easier to shoot the weak side shot. I see no difference in packability or setting it up. All positive gains.
  • I am using the Predator pack with two SYS haulers attached instead of my Myster Ranch Pop-up 28. I loved the MR Pop-up but it was heavy (almost 5 lbs). I got it to be ready to pack out deer but oftentimes you don't kill and the extra weight is unnecessary. Also, it's likely I am gonna take the stand, sticks and weapon back to the truck before packing out so now I just keep it in the truck/boat and can grab it to pack out a deer when I bring the gear back.
  • I decided I didn't want to change to an Amsteel rope mod or Amsteel daisy chain. I researched them hard but at the end of the day I decided I like the cam buckles. They are stealth striped so they are quiet. They aren't that much weight and they are so good at holding sticks to the tree. This one has the greatest chance of changing but those mods are quite expensive so I would like to try a friend's before buying.
  • My wife got me a Cruzr XC for Christmas last year and I have got to put it to use this season. I really like it. It is very comfortable for me over the Phantom. Not that the Phantom was uncomfortable, the Cruzr XC is just very comfortable for a minimal increase in weight/bulk.
  • I got the Tethrd Suspenders. Those are real nice. (Insert Uncle Eddy gif). They make it easy to put the gear on and off and keep it where it needs to be. Great product Tethrd!
  • I went from 11mm to 8mm rope. I like that a lot. It packs easier and the sheath doesnt get caught on the tree as much as my 11mm type did.
  • I've continued use of the Backwoods Mobile Gear Versa aider. This thing is a dream. It works so well. It allows me to take just 3 mini beast sticks on almost any hunt. The exception would be for hillier country. I mostly hunt river bottoms so it's not often that I bring all 4.
  • I am also carrying my sticks the @DaveT1963 method with paracord attached to the backpack strap hanging at your side. This is real nice to get through stuff and I don't have to take off my pack to start climbing. See video below:

With all these changes I can put my sticks, platform in the predator pack with the SYS haulers, and fully loaded saddle in a regular plastic tote. This is really nice for loading up and moving gear. This system is also trim and light. I have found it easier to carry and easier to get through thick brush. It is also efficient when I get to the tree.

As I mentioned in the beginning, oftentimes we are unhappy and always wanting more. I am satisfied and feel really good. It doesn't mean I won't tinker and tweak at all but my wife and wallet can be happy that it probably won't involve any more purchases soon. :tearsofjoy:
Cool now we need pictures of everything from the tote, to the sticks, to the pack, the works.

Recently trying to ditch my pop up too and move to just carrying my sticks in. Anyone else have a strap suggestion for carrying in sticks? I’m all ears.

I bought one of these a couple of seasons back. I believe it was the 2-4ft length shoulder strap. They're cheap enough you can get multiple sizes. Works pretty well. Mine has the plastic buckles.

I was also a cam buckle fan, didn’t find the “noise” people associate with them to be a problem either. I did fork out the money for amsteel daisy chains and honestly they are awesome. For a set of 5, 4 sticks and 1 for the platform you save a pound or so. The pound isn’t a huge deal but the tree size diameter In is what sold me. I use a modified truckers hitch and they really stay on a tree so well.

I too find myself wanting to try to drop the bulk and weight of a frame pack. They just are so versatile it’s hard for me to get away from.

Also I’m curious. Since carrying sticks your hands so u find it a painwalking through thicc brush while holding your bow in your other hand?

I love my Cruzr Xc, don’t seem any need to change anything about my saddle rn.

Awesome write up! I wish more people would do it as well on the same topic!

Great post:

I’m glad to see the predator pack idea, I just ordered one to do what you are talking about.

Do you mind sharing what you learned in your research that led you to stay with the buckle? I literally just put a daisy chain on my xl yesterday for the first time and see it as an instant improvement. Truckers hitch.

I’m running a phantom xl and would love to try a cruzr.

Recently trying to ditch my pop up too and move to just carrying my sticks in. Anyone else have a strap suggestion for carrying in sticks? I’m all ears.
Backwoods Mobile Gear Papoose. I put Packrabbit backpack straps on it. Very light stick carrying system especially for early season hunts. BMG Papoose Load Out 2.jpg

Great thread. Agree with many of your conclusions. Appreciate the video link as it is one I missed previously and will be using both stick management ideas. Always learn things from @DaveT1963.

Still like to tinker though. So many new ideas on here, and new products on the market. Of course, most don't fundamentally change things.

One area I'm still unsettled on is my system needs during our colder weather gun seasons up north. Carrying extra layers, losing leaf cover, longer sits, and firearm range all seem to change my system expectations. For example, 3 sticks and CAYGA which are a dream in October, totally suck in Nov./Dec.

But for 4-5 hour archery hunts in 50-70 degree weather, a light backpack with a small platform, 3 sticks and an aider, and a Recon leave me quite content walking in/out, climbing up/down, & sitting/leaning. Not much reason to change any of that.
Yea, in Bama cold weather is not as big a deal. It can get cold but not often and not like the midwest. I killed a deer Thursday in the middle of December in 70 degree weather with a drytech shirt and regular pants.

I like the @DaveT1963 way but another to try if you have a predator pack you can attach them to it. I have tested it around the house but not in the field. The THP guys frequently attach them to a Predator pack. I have really liked not having to take my pack off to start climbing using Dave's way above.

I was also a cam buckle fan, didn’t find the “noise” people associate with them to be a problem either. I did fork out the money for amsteel daisy chains and honestly they are awesome. For a set of 5, 4 sticks and 1 for the platform you save a pound or so. The pound isn’t a huge deal but the tree size diameter In is what sold me. I use a modified truckers hitch and they really stay on a tree so well.

I too find myself wanting to try to drop the bulk and weight of a frame pack. They just are so versatile it’s hard for me to get away from.

Also I’m curious. Since carrying sticks your hands so u find it a painwalking through thicc brush while holding your bow in your other hand?

I love my Cruzr Xc, don’t seem any need to change anything about my saddle rn.

Awesome write up! I wish more people would do it as well on the same topic!
If I was to make this change the modified truckers hitch with amsteel daisy chains is the way I would go. My research involved looking at about every video on Youtube with rope mod and daisy chains. I would listen to a bit of what the people said but I more watch how the stick reacted on the tree, solidness, fiddle factor and speed. I find I am very quick with the cam buckles. The longer straps from these mods are nice for big trees but I often find myself in basketball or smaller-sized trees. I carry some Versa Straps in my SYS hauler for big trees if needed but it is the exception and not the rule. Managing the extra 6 feet of strap was just not fun when I used the longer versa straps for a season. I figured it would be the same with daisy chains.

I feel so free without my frame pack. I absolutely loved the MR Pop up too but once I went trim, there was no turning back. That Predator pack with the updated straps is really nice. Sits well and makes you feel like a ninja stealth style.

Carrying the sticks the DaveT way is equal if not better in the brush. I can't tell you how many times I got caught on the top when trying to duck under stuff and about put on my butt when sticks were strapped vertically on my back. With the above way in the video you can swing them behind you and that's nice. You are still gonna get caught some but no more than the other. Your just kind of switching where you will get caught. You can even use the bow out front to kinda guide your path while the sticks are swung behind and just react and move the stick where they need to be. The only main deficiency is if you're trying to look at OnX maps on your phone, carry your weapon and try to move forward through the brush. You need a third hand to manipulate the sticks. I just get a bearing, put my phone back in my pocket and move forward with my ball compass on my backpack strap.

Great post:

I’m glad to see the predator pack idea, I just ordered one to do what you are talking about.

Do you mind sharing what you learned in your research that led you to stay with the buckle? I literally just put a daisy chain on my xl yesterday for the first time and see it as an instant improvement. Truckers hitch.

I’m running a phantom xl and would love to try a cruzr.
You are gonna love the Predator Pack. It's very well built and trim with everything you need. Throw a SYS hauler or two on there and you can get all your goodies in there. They also have several small things that show the thought that went into the pack.

My research involved watching about every video on Youtube of rope mods and daisy chains. I would listen to a bit of what the people said but I more watch how the stick reacted on the tree, solidness, fiddle factor and speed. I find I am very quick with the cam buckles. The longer straps from these mods are nice for big trees but I often find myself in basketball or smaller-sized trees. I carry some Versa Straps in my SYS hauler for big trees if needed but it is the exception and not the rule. Managing the extra 6 feet of strap was just not fun when I used the longer versa straps for a season. I figured it would be the same with daisy chains. I think the modified truckers hitch with daisy chain has some advantages, I just don't feel like it's worth the money for me right now and the extra struggle with all the extra strap when I often end up in smaller trees. Knowing me, I might end up trying it next season when the tinker bug starts to bite.

Reactions: CP3
If you’re rope mod curious, try the buckless method. It’s free!
I tried it for a bit. Seemed like a good method. Then I did it wrong once and rode a stick down the tree. Very frightening. I think it can be good, It just has some fiddle factor I didn't like in the dark. The cam buckle is hard to mess up.

You are gonna love the Predator Pack. It's very well built and trim with everything you need. Throw a SYS hauler or two on there and you can get all your goodies in there. They also have several small things that show the thought that went into the pack.

My research involved watching about every video on Youtube of rope mods and daisy chains. I would listen to a bit of what the people said but I more watch how the stick reacted on the tree, solidness, fiddle factor and speed. I find I am very quick with the cam buckles. The longer straps from these mods are nice for big trees but I often find myself in basketball or smaller-sized trees. I carry some Versa Straps in my SYS hauler for big trees if needed but it is the exception and not the rule. Managing the extra 6 feet of strap was just not fun when I used the longer versa straps for a season. I figured it would be the same with daisy chains. I think the modified truckers hitch with daisy chain has some advantages, I just don't feel like it's worth the money for me right now and the extra struggle with all the extra strap when I often end up in smaller trees. Knowing me, I might end up trying it next season when the tinker bug starts to bite.

Thanks. I’m trying the daisy chain on my platform. In practice I’ve been able to get it very tight. Almost where I can’t cam it over tight.

I pretty much just one stick now with my EWO Onestick with the UP but I was trying to sell this last year and wanted to load it up to show it can carry a lot. The Muddy Sticks are just so heavy. I have one I use to one stick with too but after getting and using the EWO setup, I haven't used the Muddy's at all this season.

Get some EWO standoffs for your Muddy sticks! :hearteyes:
I pretty much just one stick now with my EWO Onestick with the UP but I was trying to sell this Papoose last year and wanted to load it up to show it can carry a lot. I used the Muddy's due to their heavy weight. I have one I use to one stick with too but after getting and using the EWO setup, I haven't used the Muddy's at all this season. They are great sticks though.

I killed a deer Thursday in the middle of December in 70 degree weather with a drytech shirt and regular pants.
You suck.... and congrats!

I was just looking at the bama weather this week (my daughter is looking at UA and AU) and shook my head at the temps knowing hunting season marches on there. Here in Vermont we're done and it's 30 degrees and snowing 4-10 inches tonight.

Back