• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rear view mirror

Hebeskibe

Ok you are at hunting height and doing everything right not a lot of movement deer always seem to come from behind me and I get busted sometimes oftentimes I thought a rear view mirror attached to the tree might increase the odds in my favor has anyone tried successfully

It's actually been offered as a product before! Several companies have offered mirrors test attached to trees, hat brims, or stands. I kinda have always wanted to try a small mirror on my hat brim personally.

I have a buddy who actually has a bicycle rearview mirror attached to his climber. I tease him that he moves more trying to find an image of the noise source in the mirror than he would if he just turned around to look behind himself.

Never done it or even thought about it but I would think a motorcycle mirror with a screw would do the trick lol

I’ve seen some pretty big rear views for hunting. I’ve used the rear facing camera on my phone before to look behind me. A mirror would probably do better but it’s tough to see a deer even when you know it’s there on the phone.

We paint and avoid shiny stuff when purchasing hunting items yet here we are talking about adding a signal mirror to our setups.

Sounds counter productive...

We paint and avoid shiny stuff when purchasing hunting items yet here we are talking about adding a signal mirror to our setups.

Sounds counter productive...
As long as the mirror is angled down, it cant reflect sky or sunlight.

Not saying to tape a mirror to your ball cap, but I've thought about it more and more as I get used to hunting 360 from a saddle.

Last edited:
Gary Larson Far Side....classic!
dcd53a641e200321d75f807115705ed8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

You'll just have to watch The Ballad of Buster Scruggs and find out. For a Netflix original, it's pretty freakin' good. But it has Tom Waits in it, so I'm pretty heavily biased.
For your own usage sight over the same shoulder as the mirror. Much more ethical of a shot that way. Don’t use a revolver the cylinder gap would bust your nutterbustin eardrums. On a serious note have you considered an inspection mirror. I just don’t think the hat clipped mirrors would let you see enough.

For your own usage sight over the same shoulder as the mirror. Much more ethical of a shot that way. Don’t use a revolver the cylinder gap would bust your nutterbustin eardrums. On a serious note have you considered an inspection mirror. I just don’t think the hat clipped mirrors would let you see enough.
I just put it in the cart. I'll report back once I get some time with it. Somebody has to take one for the team, and it's not like I have a reputation on the line.

I think it will drive me crazy at first, but have the potential to become a "why didn't I do this years ago" thing if you stick it out. Think about how naturally you use the mirrors on your car. With it mounted to your head, I think you could learn to pretty instinctively tilt your head and pick up on stuff.

If nothing else, it'll be a fun video.

I just don’t think the hat clipped mirrors would let you see enough.
The closer the mirror is to your eye, the larger the field of view will be.
I don't use a mirror but one mounted on your hat will be more useful than a larger one mounted to the tree or other stationary gear.
I've always thought one of those little "head mirrors" that bicycle riders use could work. One issue is eyesight...I need reading glasses to focus on things that close to my eyes. If I don't wear reading lens when I hunt, I have a hell of a time seeing the screen on my camcorder. A mirror would be the same way.

Back