• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rechargeable Thermocells anybody?

shmelton

SH Member
Has any bought and used one? Are they as good as the butane thermocells? I asked this question in my thread about my Canada bear hunt, but no response. I figured maybe some of you have used them, but didn’t see my ?.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw the Nightcore EMR06 on the Traditional Bowhunting and Wilderness Podcast youtube channel the other day and it looked interesting, but the amazon reviews are not great. On the other hand there are only 5 ratings so far. From one of the reviews it sounds like the Nightcore ones don't fit thermacell pads properly which is a bummer. I bet they'll be good once they've been on the market long enough for the designs to mature a bit.

I tried the hack of recharging the butane cylinders but it just did not work for me. Maybe I was missing something.

So I guess I’ll be the Guinea Pig…I don’t think o many of y’all would spend $50 on a rechargeable thermocell when the proven ones are 1/2 the price. I’m in the same boat. The only reason I’m considering one is the fact the FAA won’t allow the butane refills.

So I guess I’ll be the Guinea Pig…I don’t think o many of y’all would spend $50 on a rechargeable thermocell when the proven ones are 1/2 the price. I’m in the same boat. The only reason I’m considering one is the fact the FAA won’t allow the butane refills.

Following

Which one are you seeing that’s $50? The only ones I’ve seen are the $20, $30, and $100 nitecore models. $20 doesn’t have a battery and you hook it up to a portable charger. $30 lasts a couple hours and can he connected to a charger for additional life. Not sure on the $100 one because I’m not paying that regardless.

@boxerboxer perhaps he's talking about the e90?

@shmelton there's also the backpacker version that runs off a camp stove can. Not sure if that poses the same issues because you can't fly with them but perhaps those cans are easier to find at your destination than the ThermaCELL butanes?

@shmelton there's also the backpacker version that runs off a camp stove can. Not sure if that poses the same issues because you can't fly with them but perhaps those cans are easier to find at your destination than the ThermaCELL butanes?

Ah the EX90, didn't realize Thermacell was in the game too. I read a bunch of amazon reviews, here are the pros/cons I see:

Pros
  • Refills are cheaper per hour than pads/butane
Cons
  • When installed in the EX90 cartridges can leak if not kept upright.
  • When installed in the EX90, liquid evaporates from the cartridge even when device is off. Both this and the leakage issues can be partially mitigated by removing the cartridge and re-capping it when not in use, but if you're walking into a spot and want to have it fully ready and repelling mosquitoes by the time you're sitting you need to start it a good 20 minutes in advance, which means you need to be careful how you carry it in.
  • Can't use up your stash of old thermacell pads if you have them.
  • No way to lock it off so it doesn't turn itself on inside a bag
  • There are maybe 5-10% of reviewers claiming it does nothing at all, but they don't mention wind, and there are also a lot of reviews saying the promised included cartridge was not actually included, so it's possible some of the "it doesn't work" crowd were running without a cartridge, if that's something the device allows. Who knows.
Overall this just doesn't seem like a well thought out design that's mature enough to replace the tried and true butane model.

@shmelton If your issue is not being able to fly with the butane my suggestion would be to drop ship what you need to Canada. @thedutchtouch's suggestion regarding the backpacker model is also a good idea to look into.

Another option is if walmart doesnt have the thermacell refill in sporting goods, sometimes you can find replacement cartridges in the womens beauty section for the travel curling irons.

Refills are sold pretty much everywhere...if u flying in a plane that requires a dedicated airport it gonna be 100% that refills somewhere within 10 mile radius.

I'd just throw them in check luggage and take them with me to the airport. No different that a Bic lighter imo

You can’t fly with the butane cartridges. I’ve been down that road before. I looked at the route we will be taking from the airport to hunting camp, and we pass a Walmart so I’ll pick up butane there.

The EX90 seems like a good idea, but if it leaks than it’s not going to work for me.

I don't have a rechargeable version but did get an adapter to refill modified Thermacell butane bottles( you remove the check valve) and then you can fill with inexpensive butane lighter refill bottles. I got these off a guy from Sweden on Ebay.

Back