• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Repelling with a saddle

BigAl

I've been thinking of trying out repelling out of the tree pulling my climbing method on the way down. For you guys that might do something similar I'd like to pick your brains for good ideas on this. I really think that it is safe than any other way down and I'd like know what equipment needed to be efficient and stop at correct places to remove my climbing method. I'm not really interested in SRT or DRT to climb. Thanks in advance for tips and advice!

All you really need is a long tether (25' minimium) and a belay device of some sort. The Madrock Safeguard is popular, but there are a lot of cheaper options out there. An adjustable bridge that can be shortened for rappel is also great. Puts the belay/rappel device in a more controllable position.

Dont forget to have a pull line to get your rappel rope out of the tree.

I have 30' of 8mm oplux I keep a figure 8 on a bite knotted in one end. I "single stick" up with a webbing 5 step etrier, and leave the oplux balled up in a pouch until I am ready to descend. When it's time to climb down I girth hitch the oplux around the tree, I attach paracord with a carabiner to my oplux and drop the tag end down so I can pull it free once on the ground. I then use a black diamond figure 8, but when you attach figure 8 pull a small loop of rope from behind through the larger loop and around the outside of the smaller part of the 8, keep the 8 so the small loop is at 3 o'clock, then rotate clockwise so the top of the 8 is at 9 o'clock and clip your carabiner(not the one on your tether) into the larger loop of the 8 and onto your bridge.

This should hold your progress and not let you descend. Once you confirm you are safely supported by the figure 8 you can remove your tether, lower any gear you dont intend to climb down. Then all you do is pull down on the small end of the figure 8 with your other hand on the tag end of the rope and you should be able to climb down. Anytime you let go of the figure 8 you should auto stop.

This method is cheap, once you do it properly it isnt hard and allows you to retrieve platform or stick at face level without worry, but plenty of folks will tell you it is dangerous so please, practice at low height and dont hold me responsible if you screw up.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I am on the fence on whether I want to descend single rope with para cord pull down, or just double the rope and dual rope descend with a atc and autoblock. Lighter packaging for single, but easier to retrieve for double. I have all of the stuff for single, so that will be my method this year.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

All you really need is a long tether (25' minimium) and a belay device of some sort. The Madrock Safeguard is popular, but there are a lot of cheaper options out there. An adjustable bridge that can be shortened for rappel is also great. Puts the belay/rappel device in a more controllable position.

Dont forget to have a pull line to get your rappel rope out of the tree.
I think the pull line
I have 30' of 8mm oplux I keep a figure 8 on a bite knotted in one end. I "single stick" up with a webbing 5 step etrier, and leave the oplux balled up in a pouch until I am ready to descend. When it's time to climb down I girth hitch the oplux around the tree, I attach paracord with a carabiner to my oplux and drop the tag end down so I can pull it free once on the ground. I then use a black diamond figure 8, but when you attach figure 8 pull a small loop of rope from behind through the larger loop and around the outside of the smaller part of the 8, keep the 8 so the small loop is at 3 o'clock, then rotate clockwise so the top of the 8 is at 9 o'clock and clip your carabiner(not the one on your tether) into the larger loop of the 8 and onto your bridge.

This should hold your progress and not let you descend. Once you confirm you are safely supported by the figure 8 you can remove your tether, lower any gear you dont intend to climb down. Then all you do is pull down on the small end of the figure 8 with your other hand on the tag end of the rope and you should be able to climb down. Anytime you let go of the figure 8 you should auto stop.

This method is cheap, once you do it properly it isnt hard and allows you to retrieve platform or stick at face level without worry, but plenty of folks will tell you it is dangerous so please, practice at low height and dont hold me responsible if you screw up.

Gotcha

I'm very interested in repelling if the safety factor is at its best........I want to use a 5 step aider......coming down its harder so repelling is a good option if safer.

I'm very interested in repelling if the safety factor is at its best........I want to use a 5 step aider......coming down its harder so repelling is a good option if safer.
For sure, I use the 5 step girth hitched to a tree, no mess, no weight, no bulk, attach your ROS or platform, stash your aider, now your feet are the lowest point something could see in the woods. Get yourself one of those expensive repelling devices and roll out. I love my figure 8 because no bulk and nothing mechanical, but once you start repelling down, you wont go back.

I rappel down using a super munter, and lock off using a leg wrap to remove my single stick. Zero extra cost or weight, lots of friction for a controlled descent. Add a third hand prussic for extra safety if you want. And i use a long piece of 550 as an HYS strap that also pulls down my tether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rappel down using a super munter, and lock off using a leg wrap to remove my single stick. Zero extra cost or weight, lots of friction for a controlled descent. Add a third hand prussic for extra safety if you want. And i use a long piece of 550 as an HYS strap that also pulls down my tether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@TJutte I literally just shared your video (post#9) lol

The single vs double rope thing you will have to answer for yourself but with an ATC you can do either. If you change your mind then you are still good to go.

I am on the fence on whether I want to descend single rope with para cord pull down, or just double the rope and dual rope descend with a atc and autoblock. Lighter packaging for single, but easier to retrieve for double. I have all of the stuff for single, so that will be my method this year.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I just tie the loops together on my climbing rope and my pull down line. Now I have one rope that is half thick and half thin. The pull down rope goes up automatically when I pull my climbing line up. I don't have to untie anything and I can't forget to attach my pull down line. I can even attach my pack to the end of my pull down line and use it to pull my pack up.

Last edited:
Back