• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

retractable bow hoist suggestions?

Looking for something that attaches to my saddle or harness that pays out line as I climb and retracts as I descend.

Looking for something that attaches to my saddle or harness that pays out line as I climb and retracts as I descend.
I think these, or the ones with webbing come highly rate on here

And a pouch to hold it on your saddle, just need to add a grommet to run the line through the pouch.

And a pouch to hold it on your saddle, just need to add a grommet to run the line through the pouch.
What do u mean add a grommet? There is a slit purposely left open to pass the line thru

Stop looking and grab a Doyle’s. I’ve tried using retractable dog leashes to be cheap, but Doyle’s is made for this and it just works.

Last edited:
I got tired of tangled paracord and went with an Allen deluxe bow hoist. I don't use the plastic hook, rather on the back of it is a velcro belt loop that fits through a molle strap perfectly (i.e. very tight). I have it behind my left hip on my saddle and I always put my bow in that spot to climb a tree (with sticks, two of which are hanging on my front left hip). I would like if the rope was actually ribbon because lowering it too fast will put a brush burn on your hand but the auto retract is great as you pull a bow up or climb down and the whole reel just disappears on my hip.

1671055037067.png

(sorry I couldn't resist) another Doyle's fan here. worth every ounce! I pull my bow up with mine, and my rappel line down with it. Auto out, auto in, just slow it down so it doesn't make noise when pulling bow up

they come in ribbon or rope line versions. I recommend ribbon.
http://www.huntinhoist.com/products.php

I got tired of tangled paracord and went with an Allen deluxe bow hoist. I don't use the plastic hook, rather on the back of it is a velcro belt loop that fits through a molle strap perfectly (i.e. very tight). I have it behind my left hip on my saddle and I always put my bow in that spot to climb a tree (with sticks, two of which are hanging on my front left hip). I would like if the rope was actually ribbon because lowering it too fast will put a brush burn on your hand but the auto retract is great as you pull a bow up or climb down and the whole reel just disappears on my hip.

View attachment 78162

No offense but this thing is worthless. the line is like dental floss and impossible to grip. I thought I was going to lose a finger trying to haul up my gear or lowering it down with this floss line. DO NOT BUY THIS

Retractable dog leash. A few of us have bought the Harbor Freight ones, disassembled them, and replaced the line with arborist throwline. Also I've seen people replace the chalkline in a chalk reel with throwline, or spool throwline onto an automatic fishing reel. Note that throwline is slick, and therefore probably more conducive to pulling up a bow than your pack. I pull my pack up on my rappel line.

I put 40’ of Dynaglide in a Harbor Freight Dog leash, but ultimately decided I didn’t need to carry that weight because I could just carry everything up on my back to begin with. But If you feel that you need one, then you prolly don’t mind carrying the weight of the Doyle’s Hoist so that would probably be your best option. I’d certainly get the one with the webbing if I went that route.

35’ of paracord with steel S-Biners on each end, ran through a key ring attached to my saddle. One end is my bow pull-up cord and the other end attaches to my rappel line and doubles as my rope retrieval line.

I used to have a gear hoist attached to my saddle but soon realized it was more of a PIA than a benefit, and was just “one more thing”.

Semper Fi,
Mike

I’m a broken record on this:
Get you a retractable dog leash from a budget store (mine came from IKEA for $4.99) and call it a day. It can hoist a German Shepherd into the tree with me if I want, and it’s like 25’ long. Doyle’s will cost you a steak dinner for the same thing, and you can’t use it to leash your tracking dog after the kill :wink:.70836457-4E81-455F-AFFC-5C791E0D8569.jpegB467401C-C428-4A00-97FC-D919570983C4.jpeg

Agreed the Allen hoist stinks. Mine would bind up when retracting, the cord is thin so hurts your hands if you have weight on it and generally didn't work well. I went back to using a length of amsteel. Overkill but it doesn't stretch or tangle like Paracord does and it doubles as my pull down rope.

Of course the name escapes me but there's some strong construction tape thats pretty cheap that people use, for pulling wire through conduit I think.

As far as retractable, it's Doyle's or bust, but they are heavy. The dog leashes can work if you find the right one but most are cheap or not long enough or heavy. Doyle's is heavy too for the size

Allen hoist broke first year. Hated the ribbon. Now use the doyle's hoist with rope. Year 2 and still working. Love the ease in use. I recomend the doyle's hoist.

35’ of paracord with steel S-Biners on each end, ran through a key ring attached to my saddle. One end is my bow pull-up cord and the other end attaches to my rappel line and doubles as my rope retrieval line.

I used to have a gear hoist attached to my saddle but soon realized it was more of a PIA than a benefit, and was just “one more thing”.

Semper Fi,
Mike

Pic of keyring and how it's attached ?

Back