• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

retrieval rope- dynaglide or amsteel?

I don't do pull down for a rope, but I do pull things up.

I've always wanted a rope of decent texture and diameter so that it doesn't cut my hand. Also, thin/flexible ropes get tangled.

My pull up rope is paracord because 7/64 amsteel and various flavors of dynaglide (zing it?) are slick and thin. I'd be afraid it would take off in my hand and burn me/not be in control and it would be more likely to tangle.

no idea if this is a concern for pull down ropes though

I like the dynaglide. Figure 8 wrapped and stuffed in my roll pouch below where my quicklink w/ madrock is stored. Doesn't really knot up or tangle, it is a bit thin but if I have to pull hard enough that its going to cut into my hand then I'll have to wrap it around a stick anyway.

I like the dynaglide. Figure 8 wrapped and stuffed in my roll pouch below where my quicklink w/ madrock is stored. Doesn't really knot up or tangle, it is a bit thin but if I have to pull hard enough that its going to cut into my hand then I'll have to wrap it around a stick anyway.

that's the difference between pull up and pull down then....didn't think of that angle

I use 7/64 amsteel, mostly because I bought a roll a few years ago so I have it. I previously tried Paracord but found it to tangle easier and be too stretchy for pull down rope, with amsteel I can wrap it around my stick and really yank on it if I really need to free a stuck rope. Theoretically I could also use it to lower myself down in an emergency or something if I dropped my rope, though I've never tried that.

If all you're doing is pulling a bow up and your rope down, no I don't think it really matters. Dynaglide is thinner, may cut into the fingers slightly more, but that's a negligible difference IMHO.

Used dynaglide to start with but I wanted to pull up and down my bow with it as well. The dynaglide is too thin an hard to lower your bow without it sliding through your hands. Switched to 4mm accessory cord and it works great as both a bow hoist and retrieval rope

I use 550 paracord with a small keychain carabiner on the end. It's cheap, readily available, strong enough and large enough in diameter that I can keep it from friction burning my hands while lowering my bow. I keep it wrapped on a hawk handle (see attached link) that I hook to a light biner attached to the rear of my saddle. It pays out nicely as I climb and wraps up and stores out of the way easily. It's the only thing I carry on my saddle.

1678381442585.png 1678381467258.png

I use the dyna glide for retrieval, no stretch but you need to wrap it around stick or flashlight or you can lose a finger

I use 550 paracord with a small keychain carabiner on the end. It's cheap, readily available, strong enough and large enough in diameter that I can keep it from friction burning my hands while lowering my bow. I keep it wrapped on a hawk handle (see attached link) that I hook to a light biner attached to the rear of my saddle. It pays out nicely as I climb and wraps up and stores out of the way easily. It's the only thing I carry on my saddle.

View attachment 82521 View attachment 82522

what saddle is that?

Back