• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ricky Racer's Cheap & Dirty Platform Revisited

ricky racer

I finished up my Cheap and Dirty Platform and have it ready to use out in the woods. I primed the steps with red oxide primer to resist rust then I used some camouflage Gorilla tape to wrap the steps. The tape dampens the sound and reduces but not totally eliminates the metallic sound should they clank together.

Strap 5 (Medium).jpg

I picked up an Ameristep replacement tree stand retchet strap to serve as the strap for my platform. After looking at quite a few available 1" ratchet straps I chose the Ameristep straps because they appear to be made of the heaviest, most robust material. To use them for my platform, I had to modify the straps a bit. The straps came with a hook permanently attached to the ratchet assembly as well as one end of the loose long strap.

Strap 9 (Medium).jpg

The first thing I had to do was remove the attached hook from the ratchet assembly and prepare the assembly to accept the longer strap. I drilled out the ends of the pin securing the short strap with the hook and removed the pin.

unnamed (Medium).jpg

After removing the pin I next cut the hook off of the sewn loop of the by cutting the hook with a cut off wheel.

Strap (Medium).jpg

strap 2 (Medium).jpg

Once the hook was removed from the long strap, I cut a short piece of 3/8" steel tubing that fit between the ears of the ratchet and inserted a 1/4" bolt the proper length. By inserting the tubing it gave me something to tighten down against when I tightened the hex nut onto the bolt. The tubing/bolt arrangement was slipped through the sewn loop on the one end of the long strap and tightened down. This gives me a 6' long strap for my platform. I currently have it set up with six "steps". I'll be starting a second set soon. I like it!!

Strap 1 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
Looks good.. what's the material of you platform pieces.. I'm assuming lite steel...

Back