• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rifle guys

Tim0712

SH Member
Anyone here cut down a 742 Remington from 22 to 18??? Gonna get more into big woods up north next year so really rather have a carbine I know it’s not as easy as chopping 4” off lol but the only reputable gun smith around me told me he doesn’t recommend it so he won’t do it. That being said if anyone of you guys have done it and have a recommendation please send it my way! I’m in Massachusetts but I will ship the barrel for the right guy

If the twist rate of the barrel matches the speed the bullet you’re trying to stabilize likes, at the new chopped length, and you’re happy with ballistics, there’s not a compelling reason not to do it.

If you don’t know those things, it could be an expensive way to find out

It’s well documented that the Benoits cut down their 760s in 30-06, and that those carbines killed quite a few deer for them.

I can’t imagine it making a lick of difference for big woods performance of your rifle. I wonder why the smith won’t do it.

It’s well documented that the Benoits cut down their 760s in 30-06, and that those carbines killed quite a few deer for them.

I can’t imagine it making a lick of difference for big woods performance of your rifle. I wonder why the smith won’t do it.
My point exactly lol

My ex father in law had the barrel of his 742 30-06 cut down too and he didn’t like it. I don’t remember now why he didn’t I just remember him saying he didn’t use it much after cutting it

I hunt with six people who have 742s. Only one person had a carbine and hunted with it for over 20 years. When one of the other 742 guys had a receiver failure the carbine guy jumped at the longer barrel and never looked back. Thing kicked like a mule and quite honestly what is a 4” shorter barrel doing for you?

We push swamps, hunt logged areas (think saplings every 8 inches), mature hardwoods and wide open CRP.

Again, the only guy in our group with a carbine couldn’t wait to swap that barrel. I would say don’t cut down yours, it’s not as much of a burden as you think it is and conversely, not as much of a benefit by having a shorter barrel.

Keep an eye out on the receiver of that 742 and make sure the bolt is locking up properly. 742’s weren’t made of the best metal and can wear out/ expand in a relatively short amount of time. It is a common problem that’s been widely documented. My brother in law had one that was well worn and would fire with the bolt not locked up. I guess you could say it fired out of battery. If you do shorten it don’t forget to rework the crown.

I wouldn't do it. Twist per inch barrel length, harmonics, and the trade off of 4 inches is not worth the possible downfall. Look at the difference crowning a barrel does. You are taking off 4 inches of timing for what actual benefit? You can buy a brand new guy for the price and possible headaches.

I wouldn't do it. Twist per inch barrel length, harmonics, and the trade off of 4 inches is not worth the possible downfall. Look at the difference crowning a barrel does. You are taking off 4 inches of timing for what actual benefit? You can buy a brand new guy for the price and possible headaches.

rifleshooter.com‘s Bill Marr has done lots of experimenting cutting down barrels incrementally (in .308, .300mag, 7mm mag,and .223) and recording data. They’ve used a hack saw and chop saw. Prehaps the results would surprise or interest folks. Here’s one of the articles, the others are easily found:

I doubt having a barrel cut and crowned properly is as expensive as ya’ll keep making out. It’s $100 at the Gunsmith at Sportsman’s Warehouse, not that I’d use them: https://gunsmith.sportsmans.com/pricing/. Refinishing isn’t much more.

Imo, the main concern is how noise/flash sensitive the user is and how many dBs the shorter barrel adds in an already forceful cartridge. This is user specific, an 18” 30-06 isn’t unheard of.

Last edited:
I would be curious about the action cycling reliability once you lose 4" of pressure-building barrel. It definitely would change the pressure curve/duration... Obviously on a pump (760 etc.) or bolt it wouldn't matter.

I would be curious about the action cycling reliability once you lose 4" of pressure-building barrel. It definitely would change the pressure curve/duration... Obviously on a pump (760 etc.) or bolt it wouldn't matter.

I’ve seen where ports can be ”opened up” and tuned. maybe that’s what the smith is worried about.

Back