• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rifle Hunters: Hang it OR Sling it ?

Vorsteg

SH Member
As my season was over before it started (from injury), I am looking at other ways to hunt next year. So my question is for you rifle/shotgun/muzzleloader hunters. Do you hang your rifle on a hook or do you have some kind of sling or tactical sling which allows your firearm to be nestled to your body?

Same set up as my bow on public or mobile sets on private. Daisy chain and a hero clip. I place my sling on the hero clip. I happen to be using a HYS Strap from tethrd I picked up used on this forum for the past two seasons.

I hang my gun on the tree BUT on the opposite side from where I’d hang my bow

For me it’s easier when shouldering the gun because of the bridge

I hang my gun on the tree BUT on the opposite side from where I’d hang my bow

For me it’s easier when shouldering the gun because of the bridge
Same here.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hang it for field edge hunts with good visibility but if its close quarters it'll spend the majority of time after I settle in across the bridge in front of me.

I run my remy 700 with a magpul stock which has attachment points that allow for the usage of the
MS1 Slider sling. The sling has allowance for rapid adjustment via a loop sewn into the sling so you can go from crossbody/low ready to ready position in a moments notice. This is because I’m tasked with predator management on a farm and they sometimes pop out at a moments notice and I don’t have time to grab my rifle from a hook nor does movement discipline allow for it as they’d spook. They are fantastic slings, fully deployed I can easily sing my rifle over a few layers of clothing with room to spare.

A few differences I have for rifle vs bow…

gear strap gets hung lower. Squirrel steps become pack and rifle holders. Gun hangs on the right (right handed shooter) and those steps are at a level where I can lay my gun across them and use them for a rest on the left and right side of the tree.

for bow the gear strap is higher and bow goes on the left from a hook, pack and quiver on the right from a hook and steps on my platform strap for sneakin around a tree to gig one.

What size hero clip?
Just the ones you would get from EWO or whatever. The end of it has a plastic knub type thing, I use a standard size 1 to 1/1/4" sling not a padded or cobra style sling but even then with my crossbow, which does have a limbsaver cobra style sling, I just hang it close to where the strap narrows to go through the sling swivel where the sling stud is.

Back