• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rifles Passed...Coming to Illinois...

Newhunter1

SH Member
So I've been watching this for some time. It seems that HB4386 passed both the House and Senate. I can now sight in my 350 legend...looking forward to this going into effect as 1. Lightfield slugs are no longer made and 2. Slugs are stupidly expensive. I mean 20.00 for 5 rounds....who wants to spend 4.00 a shot. If I was going to do that I would have bought a Barrett .50 cal https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/bi...A=102&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=137698&SessionID=110

So I've been watching this for some time. It seems that HB4386 passed both the House and Senate. I can now sight in my 350 legend...looking forward to this going into effect as 1. Lightfield slugs are no longer made and 2. Slugs are stupidly expensive. I mean 20.00 for 5 rounds....who wants to spend 4.00 a shot. If I was going to do that I would have bought a Barrett .50 cal https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/bi...A=102&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=137698&SessionID=110

So does it still need signed by the Governor?

I'm not familiar with the process in your state, is a pocket veto possible or does the governor have to sign or veto? Just curious and making conversation. I'll cross my fingers for you!

In Illinois, the governor can sign, veto or let lay on his desk for 60 days and then it is automatically law.

Ah, I see. I thought/think a "pocket veto" was when they let it lie, it didn't become law, it just stalled there and died. Thanks for letting me know how it works and I hope it passes one way or the other

Are they passing it for straight wall cartridge only?
I quite using a slug gun in Wisconsin for the same reason, prices for sabots went through the roof years ago. Didn't bother me though cause the 30-06 and 450 bushmaster pack a better punch and obviously have better range.
Hope it passes for you guys!

There goes the Illinois studs, those fields aren't big enough for the safety of those studs. Going to be a lot of long distance lead thrown. I would hate to see this passed if I was a resident!

Virginia is going to allow rifles in my county of VA now. Guess those doggers will shoot a few more houses now that there range has increased....

There goes the Illinois studs, those fields aren't big enough for the safety of those studs. Going to be a lot of long distance lead thrown. I would hate to see this passed if I was a resident!

Virginia is going to allow rifles in my county of VA now. Guess those doggers will shoot a few more houses now that there range has increased....
Especially if this applies to non-resident hunters as well.

That really wouldn't be the case. As far as the straight walled cartridges go...the .350 legend's max range would be 200-250 yards. I hunt a lot of open ground in Illinois and the majority of fields are several hundred acres. The .444 and the 45-70 max ranges are well within the 300 yards. As far as the studs getting shot...that's not definite. Neither is shooting holes in houses...I mean it does happen...true. One of my close friends years ago had a sabot round hit his house. It was a.45 sabot that was probably shoot from over the ridge and it went over the ridge and landed and hit his home. That could have been a shotgun sabot or slug. We found the neighbor and the ridge was actually 600 yards away. What he did was shoot at a deer on top of the ridge and clean missed...well he hit Vernon's house...but it is possible for a shotgun to hit a house well past the 300 yards Illinois requires all hunters to hunt from a dwelling.

Especially if this applies to non-resident hunters as well.

I can only assume it would be for non-resident hunters. I mean Illinois wants that money from the non-residents as much (if not more) residents.

That really wouldn't be the case. As far as the straight walled cartridges go...the .350 legend's max range would be 200-250 yards. I hunt a lot of open ground in Illinois and the majority of fields are several hundred acres. The .444 and the 45-70 max ranges are well within the 300 yards. As far as the studs getting shot...that's not definite. Neither is shooting holes in houses...I mean it does happen...true. One of my close friends years ago had a sabot round hit his house. It was a.45 sabot that was probably shoot from over the ridge and it went over the ridge and landed and hit his home. That could have been a shotgun sabot or slug. We found the neighbor and the ridge was actually 600 yards away. What he did was shoot at a deer on top of the ridge and clean missed...well he hit Vernon's house...but it is possible for a shotgun to hit a house well past the 300 yards Illinois requires all hunters to hunt from a dwelling.
Sorry I wasn't aware there was a cartridge limitation. Dog hunters will shoot stuff because they shoot at running deer in neighborhoods often in areas that aren't even familiar with. Already happens every year, now it's just going to be more frequent in my neighborhood.

As a resident of illy what do you think of that. How do you feel about the possibility of a influx of non-residents, we all know that the ability to rifle hunt is going to increase the amount of traffic the land will be seeing.

As a resident of illy what do you think of that. How do you feel about the possibility of a influx of non-residents, we all know that the ability to rifle hunt is going to increase the amount of traffic the land will be seeing.

I don't really care about the influx of non-resident hunters. I have access and lease different plots of land. I think what will keep most hunters out is the price of a buck tag...almost 500.00 for hunters to take a buck...I know I wouldn't pay that much to hunt something I could get in another state for cheaper.

Back