• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ring of Steps……. Preferred step?

Buckhorn70

SH Member
What Step do you guys prefer for use on Ring of Steps? What is the number of steps you use on a set up?

You’ll get all kinds of opinions on this for sure!! I’ve used the original Bullman Silent Approach steps for the past 2 seasons both to climb and as ROS. I used all OCB straps from DanO to secure them as the original ones left a lot of wiggle room. Main thing I liked was they were a little wider than most steps and they handled side press really well. I am 200 pounds and couldn’t get them to fold over on the OCB no matter how hard I tried. Also I used 5-6 steps usually and that could pretty much allow me to walk around all of most trees.
13737DD0-F563-4796-9259-9F792FEAD291.png

I also use the Bullman Steps, I have 10 on a ratchet strap as I don't like OCB's. I take off what I don't need and put in the backpack. I have gone down to 3 on a tree all the way up to all 10, but I am usually in the 5 to 6 range for max comfort and maneuverability.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

5 - 1” squirrel steps coated by OOAL.

I have the bullman and squirrel steps and like the bullmen steps better. Main reason is they are way more comfortable but also quiet and pretty cheap.

I’ve been eyeing the tree hopper steps. Anyone have experience with those relative to the others?

I do, what’s the plan on threading the strap through the step?

Milling a "slot" thru the 1.5" step with an 1/8" or smaller end mill is difficult and will more than likely break the end mill so I actually grooved the face out and welded a 1/16" plate over the groove. You could bolt this plate too if you could get it flush on the back. It only holds the strap in place so not load bearing.

Milling a "slot" thru the 1.5" step with an 1/8" or smaller end mill is difficult and will more than likely break the end mill so I actually grooved the face out and welded a 1/16" plate over the groove. You could bolt this plate too if you could get it flush on the back. It only holds the strap in place so not load bearing.
Thats a great idea I may have to barrow ur design

I’ve been eyeing the tree hopper steps. Anyone have experience with those relative to the others?
I am using the tree hopper steps and like them a lot. They slot inside each other nicely for the walk in, and don't move once on the tree. I am running 5 but may pick up a couple more this season.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Back