• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rookie diy saddle

Powell217

You veteran saddle hunter may think I’m crazy but I had an old bow case laying around I’ve decided to repurpose as my first ever tree saddle. Before I began my project I needed to know if the handles had a chance of withholding my weight so as a test I placed my foot in one and pulled up as hard as I could with both hands on the other and it feels impressively solid. I plan to add some extra stitching just Incase but I think it should work. Lots left to do including adding leg loops but here’s where I’m at

Pics

Attachments

• 3C8BC246-6E5C-4355-970F-FE43057E2613.jpeg
    3C8BC246-6E5C-4355-970F-FE43057E2613.jpeg
    427.1 KB · Views: 315
  • 7711A6F9-3B88-4AC4-808C-630D8033D938.jpeg
    7711A6F9-3B88-4AC4-808C-630D8033D938.jpeg
    637.3 KB · Views: 339
  • D797704B-776B-4889-8FE8-B790100BE8AC.jpeg
    D797704B-776B-4889-8FE8-B790100BE8AC.jpeg
    455.4 KB · Views: 340
  • 7A654059-BE24-4ED1-B876-DC3DB479582D.jpeg
    7A654059-BE24-4ED1-B876-DC3DB479582D.jpeg
    451.6 KB · Views: 349
  • D333018C-D064-4C86-AA60-1940DA4F6E65.jpeg
    D333018C-D064-4C86-AA60-1940DA4F6E65.jpeg
    422.6 KB · Views: 322
I wouldn’t worry about leg loops. Thinking a rch would be better than leg loops. Those bridge loops on commercial saddles are heavy duty and is a continuous loop of webbing. They don’t terminate at the saddle they keep going under you.

Don't do it for anything but true ground level. Those handles you are using for bridge loops will fail, despite your initial self test. If you choose to do it anyway, please stay attached to your tether at all times in a rock climbing harness.

I will do lots of ground level testing and additional harness will be used atleast the first few times but I also have plans to strengthen it. Thanks for the input guys

harness will be used atleast the first few times
So it’s going to get stronger with use. Seriously you can sew 10000 pound webbing loops on each side but if it doesn’t go the full perimeter all the way around and overlap itself where it’s sewn it will only be a strong as the fabric.

Please take these guys word they are only trying to keep you safe! No matter how sure your test results make you feel better to be prepared with a Rock climbing harness and be wrong and alive then to be stubborn, wrong and dead or paralyzed for life! All of these guys just want everyone to be prepared and safe!!!!! And @EricS is saying about the straps going all the way around and overlapping is the truth, look at any commercial saddle and you will see! I know you are anxious and excited about the whole new venture but take your time do your homework and enjoy it for many years to come you will not regret it unless you rush into it and get hurt or worse!!! Please take heed!!!! And stay safe!!

If you want to make diy a saddle, check out some of the many threads on it.

I agree with everyone else that this saddle as is should not be trusted with your life alone.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

What are bow cases designed to support? About 20lbs. This is dangerous. Don't do it without a rock climbing harness. You could probably sew a climbing rated strap around it to strengthen it although sewing could be suspect.

Last edited:
If you want to use that material because of the camo pattern build the solid saddle 'frame' of webbing then use that material for the butt cup.... Think of the mesh on the Mantis

Just get some seatbelt webbing and make a Wraptor or a Wraith(search them up on here) that is a cheap way to get started and like @Weldabeast suggests if you want the camo pattern just sew that to the webbing!!!

Just get some seatbelt webbing and make a Wraptor or a Wraith(search them up on here) that is a cheap way to get started and like @Weldabeast suggests if you want the camo pattern just sew that to the webbing!!!
That is a good suggestion and mesh or fleece will contribute to additional comfort without affecting the adjustment on the Wraptor. These may not be as sexy as the commercial options, but looks can be deceiving.
233c1dad84787abff6bf2bddb78847cd.jpg

Ahhh come on, ease up on him guys. He did the tried and true step on it and pull test. It’ll probably hold. What’s the worst that could happen?

this might be the year...

Thought I might get some constructive criticism here lol. But that’s why I put it I live in a rural area where saddle hunting is almost non existent and your input is much appreciated so what I’m gonna do for added safety( after some speedy stich practice is attach webbing to each side of my waist belt and loop it around the handles. Think it will be safe enough having too seems instead of one in the middle?

Personally, I don't think you should use that off the ground. You could back it up with a rated rock climbing harness, but that would be the only way I would consider it at all.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

If you don't have or don't want to get a RCH then you could add a solid nylon belt with a buckle that will withstand a fall and attach that to your saddle at the loops with carabiners or links. The belt on your saddle doesn't inspire confidence it would withstand an inverted fall. Make sure the belt goes around the narrowest part of your waist as RCH instructions say on their waist belts.

Last edited:
Back