• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rope Access - SRT/DRT do you think your rope color matters? (which one option would you go with?)

spracklin

(Troy McClure voice) Hello, I'm Spracklin, you may remember me from my previous post; Arborist new to saddle hunting

As this is my first season saddle hunting - I'm debating using the gear i've already got, vs buying new purpose specific.

I have a few options for my DRT/SRT lifeline while hunting as I've accumulated an extensive amount of rope over the years.

The three main contenders are in this photo.
20220926_103759.jpg

On the left - we have my Arborist lifeline - Yale Blue moon - while it handles great, I'm discounting it heavily because first its 150' and I dont want to cut it down and two its blue.

In the middle I've got a coil of a 10.5mm dynamic climbing rope, takes knots well, and I have zero issue cutting it to use-specific length so I'm not hauling more than I need with me. I've climbed on it a bunch SRT and DRT without issue - the dynamic aspect of it is a bit annoying but once its loaded its fine. The biggest pain is how knots tend to snug up tighter than with a static rope.

On the right is a 12.7mm static rope (Not this specific length, a less used cut from the same spool - just showing for color/appearance). Much Heavier, harder to tie knots in, doesnt function quite as nicely with my ascending setup.

of the three, I'm leaning towards using the 10.5mm rope in the middle for now, and buying purpose specific rope in future. What are your thoughts? what would you do? Do you think color matters? or am I just overthinking it.

I got 80' of the blue moon. I like it better than the predator i got. Plan to coil it up once at hunting height. So if a roll of blue rope 25-30' up a tree alerts them. I'm pegged anyway. Imo.

Pull it all up and stuff it in your pack. Don’t leave it swinging to either move and spook deer or act as a scent wick. Can also double as your bow/pack pull up rope.

(Troy McClure voice) Hello, I'm Spracklin, you may remember me from my previous post; Arborist new to saddle hunting

As this is my first season saddle hunting - I'm debating using the gear i've already got, vs buying new purpose specific.

I have a few options for my DRT/SRT lifeline while hunting as I've accumulated an extensive amount of rope over the years.

The three main contenders are in this photo.
20220926_103759.jpg

On the left - we have my Arborist lifeline - Yale Blue moon - while it handles great, I'm discounting it heavily because first its 150' and I dont want to cut it down and two its blue.

In the middle I've got a coil of a 10.5mm dynamic climbing rope, takes knots well, and I have zero issue cutting it to use-specific length so I'm not hauling more than I need with me. I've climbed on it a bunch SRT and DRT without issue - the dynamic aspect of it is a bit annoying but once its loaded its fine. The biggest pain is how knots tend to snug up tighter than with a static rope.

On the right is a 12.7mm static rope (Not this specific length, a less used cut from the same spool - just showing for color/appearance). Much Heavier, harder to tie knots in, doesnt function quite as nicely with my ascending setup.

of the three, I'm leaning towards using the 10.5mm rope in the middle for now, and buying purpose specific rope in future. What are your thoughts? what would you do? Do you think color matters? or am I just overthinking it.
I definitely would avoid blue or white for a rope color. Those are the two most noticeable colors for a deer. And i always bring my rope up and stash it in the tree. Draped and ready for rappel. Cuz i could tell u multiple stories of hunts gone bad when i let it dangle back in the day.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

None whatsoever. 99% of camo is meant for hunters, not deer. Focus on scent and movement, not the color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I definitely would avoid blue or white for a rope color. Those are the two most noticeable colors for a deer. And i always bring my rope up and stash it in the tree. Draped and ready for rappel.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts. as an aside, i tied your ascender hitch on the 10.5mm and took it for a spin this aft between rain showers, 4 wraps was perfect. need to see if i can work the length out better to work with the fixed bridge ony petzl saddle. Will probably still just use my grigri cuz its fast and easy to ascend with, but will see how noisy it ends up.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts. as an aside, i tied your ascender hitch on the 10.5mm and took it for a spin this aft between rain showers, 4 wraps was perfect. need to see if i can work the length out better to work with the fixed bridge ony petzl saddle. Will probably still just use my grigri cuz its fast and easy to ascend with, but will see how noisy it ends up.
Cool. I'm not saying that the Rope is necessarily going to be the thing that attracts the deer's attention. But sometimes they spend a lot of time by us and they might catch little scent and they might look around and they might look up. That happens to me, I always make sure I can't see my eyes looking back at them and I try to give them no extra eye candy like a color that doesn't belong. I passed up a buck in exactly the situation on friday. He was by for 20 minutes. But I waited him out and never let him see a face... i was hoping his big brother would be behind him... and because he left on his own terms and was not alert, that spot is still pristine and good. Whenever I get busted in a tree, it seems to go dead. Like they posted about it on their own DEER Facebook!!!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back