• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rope Mod for Predator?

808sh

Is anyone out there using the rope mod on the predator. If so what size rope are you guys using? I hate using straps and buckles and would like to eliminate all chances of noise.

I just ordered some black 1/4" amsteel and a fid set, I decided to make a whoopie sling instead of a daisy chain. I just hate buckles because I can never seem to keep them from making noise.

I just ordered some black 1/4" amsteel and a fid set, I decided to make a whoopie sling instead of a daisy chain. I just hate buckles because I can never seem to keep them from making noise.

I am thinking about doing this myself. How did the whoopie sling turn out?

I have some 5/16” amsteel lying around I was going to try it with. My concern is the fid length recommendations on the bury. The fid length is 6-3/4”. It recommends a 2.5 fid length bury on the Brummell and 3.5 fid length bury on the whoopie sling part. That is like 4 feet of length right there. Won’t be able to get in small trees with that.

Are those recommended buries required to hold my weight or is that to simply maintain the strength of the rope?

I am thinking about doing this myself. How did the whoopie sling turn out?

I have some 5/16” amsteel lying around I was going to try it with. My concern is the fid length recommendations on the bury. The fid length is 6-3/4”. It recommends a 2.5 fid length bury on the Brummell and 3.5 fid length bury on the whoopie sling part. That is like 4 feet of length right there. Won’t be able to get in small trees with that.

Are those recommended buries required to hold my weight or is that to simply maintain the strength of the rope?
You can do a lot shorter bury, probably like 8". Too long and it'll be a pain to move.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I haven't made mine yet, because my amsteel doesn't arrive until Friday. I'm definitely not going to use those recommended bury lengths. Here's a link to the video that I'm going to use to make mine.

Might try a Prusik before messing with the whoopie sling

Okay... I tried the whoopie sling out. Took a bit of work to get it tight enough to be solid enough to take some moderate side pressure. The platform still moved a bit with a lot of side pressure. Then removing the whoopie sling was a bit of a pain in the ass. I am going to try a Prusik. If that does not hold solid enough I will just throw a yakgrip over the buckle and be done with it.

My cranford rope steps have whoopie, what a pain. Innertube on the buckle still works well for me. I keep the buckle side of strap on the stand and actually hold the stand by the buckle when feeding strap around the tree. On my sticks amsteel and the LW versa button work awesome. 1/4" amsteel

Back