• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rope Switch?

arrowchukker

Last year I used Oplux to rappel down with a figure 8 and autoblock.
Every once in a while, despite adding as many wraps as possible to the autoblock, I would still slowly be descending on rappel even while not tending the autoblock.
Would a thicker rope, such as Canyon Elite possibly help? It never really scared me, I was moving down maybe and inch every 10 seconds. But it was frustrating when trying to detach my one stick.
I’m about 240lbs.

I've rappelled on canyon elite quite a bit with figure 8 and Madrock Safeguard with an autoblock and no slippage at all. I weigh 180 but have also had 20 lbs. of gear on me at times. I do lock off with an alpine butterfly if removing platform or steps on descent.

I loved phatkaw’s video. The issue I have is I weigh too much to get the hitch undone once I lock it off. I almost have been stuck up the tree this way. It took a lot to get it unhitched. I loved the technique, and it works for a lot of guys.

I was using the autoblock sold by EWO.

Use just another hitch like the stitch hitch or michoacan with sterling TRC. If you tie it right you won't move until you tend the hitch with your fingers.

I weigh 255. You have to lean the figure 8 a little. It comes right off. When you are straight vertical it is LOCKED, tilt the top of the 8 towards you and it comes right off.

Last edited:
Last year I used Oplux to rappel down with a figure 8 and autoblock.
Every once in a while, despite adding as many wraps as possible to the autoblock, I would still slowly be descending on rappel even while not tending the autoblock.
Would a thicker rope, such as Canyon Elite possibly help? It never really scared me, I was moving down maybe and inch every 10 seconds. But it was frustrating when trying to detach my one stick.
I’m about 240lbs.
I think this is a very under addressed issue with using 8mm rope. I only rappel with 8mm is rescue mode. It’s two wraps that add a perfect amount of friction for me. Also, for 8mm you will likely be better off using cord instead of a hollowblock for your autoblock, With the cord you can tie several other hitches that with the proper sizing will grab and release better than your current autoblock config. You could then add more wraps if it’s slipping under your weight.

Also if you configure the 8 with more friction, you will need less friction on your autoblock. You can play around until you find the best combo

E1EFDC8E-D1CF-4A89-92A0-2FA5B279464A.jpeg

big boy here.
I bout a 32 inch sewn eye cord. What I do is just put my eight right under my hitch and use my hitch to stop. I just tend it with my left hand and use my right for my break hand.

I weigh 255. You have to lean the figure 8 a little. It comes right off. When you are straight vertical it is LOCKED, tilt the top of the 8 towards you and it comes right off.
I will play in the backyard tomorrow and see if this helps. I hope so.

I have a Grivel. The only way I can rappel smoothly with that thing is to hold the tag end of my rope way out to the right (@ 3 o’clock from the eight).
That’s not really possible with your backup attached to your linesman loop...
I won’t even sell my Grivel to anybody else ‘cause I don’t want them to think I’m a poo poo face after they use it...

I have a Grivel. The only way I can rappel smoothly with that thing is to hold the tag end of my rope way out to the right (@ 3 o’clock from the eight).
That’s not really possible with your backup attached to your linesman loop...
I won’t even sell my Grivel to anybody else ‘cause I don’t want them to think I’m a poo poo face after they use it...
With a regular 8, I had to wrap the rappel line once and tended the schwabish hitch with my right hand. With the Grivel, I just had it looped through the big and around the little hole, then I tended the same schwabish hitch with my right hand.
Seems like I need a tad more friction on this Oplux to make it work.

Back