• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

ropeman 1

kenn1320

With the popularity of these and lack of availability, I decided to contact the manufacture to see if they were phasing them out with ropeman 2 or what the deal was. Here is the response from customer service.

Thanks for writing. I am showing that we will be getting a shipment of these in the spring so they are still in production. Unfortunately, I do not have access to dealers’ private inventory information but I am seeing that they are not available through our online retailers either. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

Look at the manufacturer's site. They have recently upgraded the Ropeman 1 to be lighter and stronger. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Maustypsu said:
redsquirrel said:

Free 2-Day shipping for orders over $50. So I just bought two of them for $70 and will have them for the weekend. I want to try one on an adjustable bridge and the other for back up. It only cost me like $25 more than buy just one and paying for shipping.

I bought 4 while they are available to outfit multiple saddles so I don't have to swap in between. I ordered on Friday and then arrived yesterday :thumbup:

I got a used one off ebay. Made all the difference in the world. Much much easier to use than a prussic knot

I'm only using one on my lineman belt right now. After the season I'm going to get a 2nd for my Tree tether. They really are great.

I am disappointed with wild country. I saw that backcountry com just got the newer Ropeman 1 with 15 kN strength. I verified it with guy on phone. Ordered a few to replace my recently purchased < 4kN Ropeman 1.

They came in today and nowhere on the instructions was anything about 15kN or 4kN! I checked the wildcountry site and now they do not have anything about 15kN. I thought I did see something on their site about 15 kN, but am not 100% certain.

I have attached a pic with the instructions on old Ropeman, which shows < 4kN and the new instructions, which the rating is conspicuously absent.

And the markings are different, but I cannot tell a difference in the new versus old.

After the weekend I will call backcountry and send an email to wildcountry, but really!

7aa4bb79b242c2e3223270c053295dde.jpg

And I weighed them all, 64 grams. The marketing is that the new ones are lighter, so I apparently do not have the new ones. And the code on the new ones shows manufactured in the first batch of July 2015.

Every piece of climbing gear I've had has the strength ratings clearly stamped into the metal so there's no mistaking. I've only really become aware of these ropemans here but it seems odd that it's hard to nail their ratings down. Not confidence inspiring.

Bowhunter41002 said:
I got a used one off ebay. Made all the difference in the world. Much much easier to use than a prussic knot

Saw a used gray/gunmetal one go on eBay recently for over $50 I think, plus shipping.

Just ordered one from Backcountry for $27 with free shipping since I went over $50 on the order. Supposed to be here tomorrow.

brydan said:
Every piece of climbing gear I've had has the strength ratings clearly stamped into the metal so there's no mistaking. I've only really become aware of these ropemans here but it seems odd that it's hard to nail their ratings down. Not confidence inspiring.

I don't think any of the ascenders I have have the ratings on them. I was reading a thread on a climbing forum about it awhile ago and it is just a weird situation.

redsquirrel said:
I don't think any of the ascenders I have have the ratings on them. I was reading a thread on a climbing forum about it awhile ago and it is just a weird situation.

Most likely the theory is that you are not supposed to endure a "fall" while ascending due to the fact that you should always have your slack tended in doing so. As well you shouldn't be bouncing around on the line while ascending. The reason most arborist use static line for SRT.

Are you guys ordering this thing on the Wildcountry website? I cannot find a place to actually place an order!Any help??

DIYSaddler said:
redsquirrel said:

Most likely the theory is that you are not supposed to endure a "fall" while ascending due to the fact that you should always have your slack tended in doing so. As well you shouldn't be bouncing around on the line while ascending. The reason most arborist use static line for SRT.
Yes, that sounds about right.

huck72412 said:
Are you guys ordering this thing on the Wildcountry website? I cannot find a place to actually place an order!Any help??
I have ordered all of mine from backcountry.com but they don't even have it on the site right now again.

redsquirrel said:
DIYSaddler said:
redsquirrel said:

Yes, that sounds about right.

And that concerns me with using it for a linemans rope. The linemans rope does not always have tension. A stick failure while there is no tension (think moving the linemans rope up higher) and one will bounce around to say the least.

And slack tended, how many times have we seen pics of the Ropeman being used where the end is not figure 8'ed and connected to the biner?

My plan is to use the newer ones only for linemans belts and make sure I make a figure 8 and attach to biner as a backup.

Once I find out that the ones I just bought are actually new, I will sell my two older ones.

Personally, I do not have confidence using that on my mainline while I am hanging for an extended time. But that is just me. Old one is less than 4kN (how much less is a good question). New one has no specs on manufacturers site or documents with product. Some sellers are stating they are rated at 15kN, but nothing OEM.

I will stick to my dynamic prussic cord with 10.4 kN breaking strength with figure 8 as a backup for a main connection.

Maybe my tone sounds grumpy, sorry about that, but I took the day off today to hunt. I have a NJ muzzleloader tag and a PA tag, and it is raining!

Back