• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ropeman 1's Tough to Find

WannaBMonkey

To any Saddle brothers and sisters wanting to get Ropeman 1's: Amazon didn't have them any more (only Ropeman 2). Looked a couple other places, no dice. eBay, I found an older one for a great price but coming from UK, shipping made it as expensive as a new one. REI was out of orange ones but had " limited quantity" of blue ones. I don't care about color so I ordered two. Now, just to show how scarce they are right now, one's coming from Anchorage and the other from Portland. So if you want one, I'd say, DON'T WAIT!

Interesting. I just saw that Tethrd now has a limit one per customer on them also. When I ordered in May I ordered 2 and got them.

Interesting. I just saw that Tethrd now has a limit one per customer on them also. When I ordered in May I ordered 2 and got them.
Yeah, but they haven’t put a backorder warning on it yet, so at least there’s a place to get one if you want. I don’t use them, but if I did I would only use it on my LB anyway, so one is all I’d need. I just spent $6 on @DanO prusik tenders instead, and have them on all 3 ropes and there was no supply shortage lol.

Yup, I got one from REI online two weeks ago and could choose Blue or Orange. Stopped by the local REI store (NYC) a couple days ago and they had 15-20 on the wall

I just took off my last ropeman 1 (blue) and put on split tail prussik's. Use the Schwabish friction hitch for my LB, tether and even DRT.
You're not the first person I have seen to say they're going away from the Ropeman. Can I ask why?

Yup, I got one from REI online two weeks ago and could choose Blue or Orange. Stopped by the local REI store (NYC) a couple days ago and they had 15-20 on the wall
Maybe it's just a marketing tactic to scare people into buying quicker! If so, I am a sucker! Cause it worked on me!

You're not the first person I have seen to say they're going away from the Ropeman. Can I ask why?

When I saw the video of the RM1 failing at 4kN that concerned me. I’ve fallen out of a tree while setting up my deer cleaning station (my gambrel was 12 feet up) and while climbing the ladder it spun on me and I split my head to the skull...had arterial bleeding and a severe concussion. When it comes to my safety I do not take chances. 4kN is 900 lbs of Force. I weigh 200lbs. How much Force is a 200 lb person generating when he falls 2-4 feet? 18” to 2 feet. The Prussia’s are 12-15kN. 2700-3300 breaking strength is much better than 900. Much more peace of mind for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The scenarios you are referring to sound more like fall arresting. From what I've read, Ropeman is not intended for arresting falls. They are for fall prevention by having a steady load on them. Fall prevention is for taking the sudden load of a fall. So, you are absolutely correct about a prussik being better in that application. But for the steady load that your lineman's rope or tether are used for if used properly, the forces are not magnified as in your examples. I'm no expert, by any means, just going by what the real experts have said.

The scenarios you are referring to sound more like fall arresting. From what I've read, Ropeman is not intended for arresting falls. They are for fall prevention by having a steady load on them. Fall prevention is for taking the sudden load of a fall. So, you are absolutely correct about a prussik being better in that application. But for the steady load that your lineman's rope or tether are used for if used properly, the forces are not magnified as in your examples. I'm no expert, by any means, just going by what the real experts have said.

I'm not an expert either...I just know when I do the one stick method and as I climb up to move my stick...if I fall or the stick kicks out (accidents happen--even to the most careful of us) and fall then I do not want to run the risk of hitting the ground. I find the Schwabish friction hitch to be better in moving than any prussic or friction hitch.

I may have to try the Schwabish. I saw that in a knot and hitch instructional, and it said pretty much exactly what you just said. There are so many different ways to do things. It's obviously gonna take a while to figure out what works best for each one of us. The main thing is that we all stay safe and find what works best for our own variations of this saddle hunting method.

I have yet to hunt from my saddle. I have noticed that my prussik knot cinches down tightly on the rope( as it should). Has anyone found it difficult to function the knot once hands go numb or wet and slippery?

I haven't hunted outa mine yet either, but have noticed how it tightens up in practicing. It becomes a two hand operation to loosen. That's why lots of folks have gone to Ropeman 1. Mine are on the way.

I have 5 ropeman 1 . I use them on my Kestrel and Flex but I ordered them years ago before they became so popular.

Last edited:
Prusiks are safer.
Probably for the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back