• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ropeman question

shoot2thrill25

Do you guys use a ropeman on your tether and lineman, one or the other? Any reasons why you are set up the way you are? I didn’t find anything doing a search on it and was curious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Search "ropeman site:saddlehunter.com" on Google or other. (Duckduckgo.com)

Don't feel bad, for some reason the search feature sucks for me on this site also.

There should be a lot on it in here. I just do linesman only. I posted before one time about it and my reason was that I view it like a gun safety- it can fail. So don’t want my full weight on something like that full time. I’ve never heard of them actually breaking before and I know a lot of guys use them without issue on their tether and that’s fine. I just don’t want to be that one statistic.

Also, the couple times I have tried my full weight on it, I didn’t like how hard it was to pull apart on the rope after it’s been under my body weight.

Don't feel bad, for some reason the search feature sucks for me on this site also.
The search feature works ok but if you’re more comfortable with google you can type saddlehunter.com and ropeman1 and get a few weeks worth of content to read.

I used a Ropeman 1 in the past but went back to a Prusik on my tether. On my lineman's rope, I use a Tibloc.

I found that i like my ropeman on my bridge better than on tether. Went back to a prusik on my tether but it has a longish section to grab w my hand which speeds it up.

I took it off my tether and replaced it with a distel hitch because I one stick climb which can result in some intermittent tether slack and I didn't want to take a chance of shock loading it. I still use one on my lineman's/hunting bridge. It's unlikely I will ever have more than an inch or so of slack in those applications so for me the adjustability outweighs any risk there.

I will say I tend to hunt similar diameter trees and I did notice a roughed up spot, not necessarily damage, but certainly wear on my tether where the ropeman often sat when I was using it on my tether.

Both. I do not use my lineman’s belt often because I climb SRT. So I have my Ropeman under my Petzl ascension. When I get to the top, I throw my tether around the tree and use my second Ropeman to tie in there. I could do with just one and save a little weight, but I’m already under 15 pounds including my backpack (no other hunting gear included) and I like spares. I have extra prusiks, carabiners and rope, because a few extra pounds gives me peace of mind. If I goof up and drop a ropeman, prusik or carabiner I have backups.

I misspoke earlier. When I am climbing on my bolts and have a short tether I use the ropeman on my tether and linesman. When I am one sticking and plan on repelling, I am still using a ropeman on the linesman, but I am using a safeguard on my repelling rope.

Neither. I feel better about a distel hitch on my tether. I find I don’t move the tether much so I am not missing out on the convenience of an ascender. On the linesman’s I also use a distel because I prefer the action of pulling on the hitch to lengthen, versus opening a cam. With a tender, and the hitch doesn’t bind as much on the linesman’s I don’t feel any loss of convenience.

Back