• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ropeman

Publicpounder

So I keep seeing this device mentioned on the site. I did a search and once again I confirmed it's a term used a lot, what does the thing actually do though?

It appears it's used to replace a prusic knot for the tether? Is there a benefit to it as far as strength or ease of use etc?

I use a homemade tether with climbing rope and a prusic made with smaller climbing rope and haven't had issues, but I'm always up for improving things if need be.

Prussics typically take two hand to operate. The ropeman allows adjustment using only one hand.

Yes, it replaces a prusik knot. Climbers use them to ascend rope. They are easy to use and allow one handed adjustment. They are actually more helpful for a lineman's belt than tether, but most of us use them on both.
4d6416c3a263fc00d247e02130bf5022.jpg

I have three of them now....

Read the Ropeman Safety thread so you understand it. It is VERY STRONG AND DOESN"T SLIP. But on a very hard fall (starting at 4kn) it can damage the rope sheath (because it doesn't slip). Used as an ascender or tether, you can't generate that kind of force. You'd have to free climb up above your tether attachment and then fall back down.

Yes, it replaces a prusik knot. Climbers use them to ascend rope. They are easy to use and allow one handed adjustment. They are actually more helpful for a lineman's belt than tether, but most of us use them on both.

Red ... this is a pic of a ropeman doing absolutely nothing lmao. However I love the ropeman, I use 2, tether and linemans belt. I find it useful on the tether, just pull up on the slack line and it tightens you up nicely. But it is awesome on LB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red ... this is a pic of a ropeman doing absolutely nothing lmao. However I love the ropeman, I use 2, tether and linemans belt. I find it useful on the tether, just pull up on the slack line and it tightens you up nicely. But it is awesome on LB

Lol. I did a google search for ropeman on saddlehunter and came up with that picture that I had previously taken. I must have had the ropeman and duck out for comparison. I think it works. I use a duck on my tether anyways, same idea though.

Ropeman is one of the best things I have bought in regards to saddle hunting. So much easier to adjust. Once you go that route you will never go back to the prussik knot.

I actually have a prusik above my ropeman on a long loop. I doubt the ropeman would (or could) fail, but I feel better with it having both on the tether.
It never gets 'loaded', a loaded prusik can be a bear to loosen when hanging from it. That fact alone is why I bought one.
I should have bought one years ago - the story of my dadgum life...

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Ropeman is one of the best things I have bought in regards to saddle hunting. So much easier to adjust. Once you go that route you will never go back to the prussik knot.

What he said!!!!

Roger,

Does the carabiner squeak on the ropeman? Metal on metal typically squeaks.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I order my first one from Amazon couple months ago and paid 34.00 . Just ordered a second one from Treesuff and paid 45.00 . I use one on my tether and one on my bridge.

I have a few ropemans, but I'm not familiar with the bottom device in your picture that has the carabiner separated from the rope. What is that?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Back