• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

ROS or Platform?

BigAl

I'm sure that this subject is very personal preference but some people changed from a ROS to a platform. Then others won't leave an ROS. Could yall let me know the reason to use or why you prefer one over the other. If this has been covered elsewhere please share the thread and look over me. Thanks in advance for the responses!

For me it was a simple matter or pressure per square inch. I am a big guy. 6'6" and right now around 260. All that weight being supported by something an inch or so wide hurt my feet. I could deal with it and hunted that way for one or two seasons but the difference in comfort for me was dramatic when I switched to a platform. That said, one drawback I see is I need to add a step or two to realistically make it 360° around the tree. But I usually have an extra wild edge step with me to put on the other side of the tree to accomplish that.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I just went through the same thing. It was a night and day difference in comfort and ease of usage in favor of the platform. I felt a lot more comfortable and fiddled with it less than I did with the ROS. I can shoot 360 on it too. You just have to try both

I tried both together at the end of this season and liked that best. I attach the platform and then strap on an ROS with three steps, one on either side of the tree and one on the back. The platform makes things a lot more comfortable IMO unless you’re in the sitting position a lot. I like having a step set on either side of the platform to place my feet while sitting which puts your legs in a more natural position and is way more comfortable. For leaning and shots at your 6 o’clock the platform is the way to go. Also being able to fully stand up straight to make any necessary adjustments is really nice with the platform.

Really appreciate all the information! I see the benefits of both better now. Anyone else has input.....please chime in!

I tried both together at the end of this season and liked that best. I attach the platform and then strap on an ROS with three steps, one on either side of the tree and one on the back. The platform makes things a lot more comfortable IMO unless you’re in the sitting position a lot. I like having a step set on either side of the platform to place my feet while sitting which puts your legs in a more natural position and is way more comfortable. For leaning and shots at your 6 o’clock the platform is the way to go. Also being able to fully stand up straight to make any necessary adjustments is really nice with the platform.
So you have your platform and steps on 2 different straps? If so, all on one not good?

So you have your platform and steps on 2 different straps? If so, all on one not good?

Two different straps. I put on my predator platform with its strap and then strap on the steps after and separately. This lets me get the steps at the same level as the platform. If you put the steps on the same strap that holds the platform they are too high on the tree then, plus it’s a PITA to get setup all on one strap.

Two different straps. I put on my predator platform with its strap and then strap on the steps after and separately. This lets me get the steps at the same level as the platform. If you put the steps on the same strap that holds the platform they are too high on the tree then, plus it’s a PITA to get setup all on one strap.
Thanks for the tip. I’ll have to give that a try.

Predator with one step on the Predator strap on my strong side. Weak side is the top step of my climbing step.
It works perfectly for me. No need to mess around with a 2nd strap. 360 shooting is a breeze.

Last edited:
Predator with one step on the Predator strap on my strong side. Weak side is the top step of my climbing step.
It works perfectly for me. No need to mess around with a 2nd strap.360 shooting is a breeze.
I’ll try that too. I’m sure a lot of this is personal preference. Will keep me busy in the summer.

This was my first year saddle hunting, probably 70-80 sits. I started out with an ameristep ROS, the first week of November I picked up a predator platform. Immediately I thought the platform was a complete game changer and every new person needs a predator platform. Fast forward to Christmas time, I ordered some squirrel steps and hunted with them the last few times. Guess what, again I thought these were a game changer, at least as good as a platform and a whole lot less bulky and lighter. Now I can't tell you why, maybe its because I became conditioned to the saddle over the course of the season, I don't know. I do know I am more of a sitter than a leaner and the majority of my weight is in my saddle not my feet.

I think a lot depends on whether you lean or sit, how big you are and the type of boots you wear. I am six feet tall, weigh 175 pounds and have a size ten foot. I site and lean, probably 75/25. With a cushy set of knee pads, nothing is better than a good sit, but that is just me. I also wear boots with very thick and stiff soles. I am super comfortable using my WE Steps and a couple of Ameristeps as a platform. I am sure the platforms are great but I prefer to have my feet at a 45 degree angle when hanging (especially when I lean), so I would be using the edge of the platform all the time.

I am going to try a platform though at our saddle get together in Mass. Too many people rave about it for me to just write it off as a no go.

I’ll try that too. I’m sure a lot of this is personal preference. Will keep me busy in the summer.
There is a train of thought that a step to the side of the platform should be slightly higher than the platform because as you work your way around the tree, the tether, essentially becomes shorter. I also find a higher step make it easier to push back onto the platform.

My impression is that platforms in general, tend to be easier for guys to shoot accurately to the weak side easier than a ROS. That could be more of a trad bow thing IDK. I do know that I shoot my recurve to my weak side much better from a platform compared to a ROS.

Thanks guys. This fall will be my first year using the saddle. Been lone wolf and sticks before that. Hunt mix of private and public. But never leave my stuff out. As good as lone wolfs are. There are still trees they won’t work well in.

The main reason for my asking about this is I have a web and not hunted out of my TL I purchased. I really like the idea for a ROS to be more mobile and easier setup before daylight. Feet pain is my thoughts on what I have to deal with most. Platforms and a web my not be compatible but an ROS will work for both.

The main reason for my asking about this is I have a web and not hunted out of my TL I purchased. I really like the idea for a ROS to be more mobile and easier setup before daylight. Feet pain is my thoughts on what I have to deal with most. Platforms and a web my not be compatible but an ROS will work for both.
I really appreciate the input from everyone so I can know before I "go" and buy. Squirrel steps look very good by the way.

Does anyone have a predator and a JX3 or Guidos web? Is it possible to use the predator with them or is it possible to get your feet positioned to move around as needed? I'm just thinking that it's very hard to do.

This was my first year saddle hunting, probably 70-80 sits. I started out with an ameristep ROS, the first week of November I picked up a predator platform. Immediately I thought the platform was a complete game changer and every new person needs a predator platform. Fast forward to Christmas time, I ordered some squirrel steps and hunted with them the last few times. Guess what, again I thought these were a game changer, at least as good as a platform and a whole lot less bulky and lighter. Now I can't tell you why, maybe its because I became conditioned to the saddle over the course of the season, I don't know. I do know I am more of a sitter than a leaner and the majority of my weight is in my saddle not my feet.
Curious what are the squirrel steps?

Does anyone have a predator and a JX3 or Guidos web? Is it possible to use the predator with them or is it possible to get your feet positioned to move around as needed? I'm just thinking that it's very hard to do.

I used a guidos web with a DIY platform, it's not uncomfortable at all and it's still easy to shoot around the tree it really just sucks carrying a platform as opposed to a ring of steps.. my main reason for doing it was because it's so much easier to put on and take off spurs on a platform.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back