• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle blade or no?

Publiclandowner

SH Member
Nov 20, 2022
Nebraska
The other day I saw a FB post on a saddle page and a guy was asking if guys had a blade attached to their saddle, and I so what knife.
Most of the people responding said yes, but I didn’t see anyone really saying what the were using.

I am curious if any any of you are running a blade attached to your saddle molle? I personally carry my pocket knife and my field dressing knife in my pack, but neither would be really accessible in case of an emergency (such as a fall?).

What is your thought/practice with this? I am leaning toward adding a blade to my saddle. Thanks for the input!

dalton916

SH Member
Sep 27, 2018
I don’t and have never thought of doing. Probably because I always have at least two knifes with me, one in each front pocket. If I’m in a saddle then I’m hunting and the number of knives available increases. But if you feel like you need to then go right ahead and this is the knife I would suggest.

Morakniv Companion Carbon Steel Fixed-Blade Knife with Sheath, 4.1 Inch, Military Green https://a.co/d/4zsuBuB

I have a good number of these knifes. Best, by far, knife for the money I have ever found. I have one (or more, lol) in my pack, 1 in each truck, etc.

raisins

SH Member
Jan 17, 2019
I am not much for having stuff hanging off my saddle (besides sticks or steps only while climbing) and I don't walk in with it because my walks are usually long enough that it doesn't make sense to me (saving 3 minutes after a 30 minute or more walk by making myself less comfortable during that 0.5 to 1 hour walk in).

Having said that, I am a believer in having some rescue supplies on hand and not in a jacket or pack that I might not have on me.

I usually wear bibs with several zippered/button pockets. I carry my primary knife (Spyderco Stretch folder) and back up (Spyderco Delica folder) in my closed bib pockets. There is a small chance I'll get hung up and would benefit from the ability to cut myself free (falling 10 feet is better than dying due to being upside down or trapped in a rope or something). I also have in a closed, secure pocket my cell phone/rescue beacon (beacon if outside cell range), an amsteel daisy chain, a miniwire carabiner (small and climbing rated wire gate), and a rescue whistle.

MattMan81

SH Member
Jan 13, 2020
The Mitten
I try to make sure I have a knife on me some where. I try to make sure it's some what accessable should I be tangled up. Single Bevel broad head on the pull up line is usually accessible as well if needed. So mixed feeling on something "strapped" to my saddle that could cause an issue as well. But I have tried to keep that in mind even climbing in the back yard. I will toss my pocket knife in the saddle pouch if trying something new..

Reactions: Publiclandowner

Weldabeast

SH Member
May 23, 2019
Northeast Florida
For a dedicated "saddle knife" a strap cutter or gut hook maybe makes more sense?

I don't take anything special other than the regular old pocket knife.

I do keep dedicated pouch on my saddle that holds a grapple hook, whistle, and tiny flashlight

Publiclandowner

SH Member
Nov 20, 2022
Nebraska
I don’t and have never thought of doing. Probably because I always have at least two knifes with me, one in each front pocket. If I’m in a saddle then I’m hunting and the number of knives available increases. But if you feel like you need to then go right ahead and this is the knife I would suggest.

Morakniv Companion Carbon Steel Fixed-Blade Knife with Sheath, 4.1 Inch, Military Green https://a.co/d/4zsuBuB

I have a good number of these knifes. Best, by far, knife for the money I have ever found. I have one (or more, lol) in my pack, 1 in each truck, etc.
I agree, I tend to have a knife abundance but they don’t do me any good if they aren’t accessible when needed! Thanks for the share.

dalton916

SH Member
Sep 27, 2018
Seriously, they are GREAT knifes. Easy to get very sharp. Tend to stay sharp. The sheath is hard plastic and made such that it won’t come off the molle loops easily and the sheath is made such that the knife “locks” in place so you won’t be worried about it falling out.

I bone out my deer in the field so I also carry one of their fillet knives in my pack, lol.

raisins

SH Member
Jan 17, 2019
Currently running a blade, a tactical tomahawk, blowgun, backup tomahawk, grappling hook, nunchucks, throwing stars, and a water bottle on my saddle.

I hate to bring it up, but you should really consider some less lethal options (pepper spray, stun gun, taser, and collapsible baton) so that you can escalate as the situation calls for it.

Publiclandowner

SH Member
Nov 20, 2022
Nebraska
Currently running a blade, a tactical tomahawk, blowgun, backup tomahawk, grappling hook, nunchucks, throwing stars, and a water bottle on my saddle.
This is exactly the nugget of gold information I was looking for bahaha. . No nunchucks but that can be remedied!

• Haha
Reactions: bodark

raisins

SH Member
Jan 17, 2019
I have a $12 knife from the auto parts store on a Molle loop so that I always have one close. I keep it super sharp and also pray that I never need to use it.

Makes sense. No reason to spend a lot on a blade that you'll only have to use in an emergency for 1 or 2 quick cuts.

Reactions: MattMan81

TheBlindCat

SH Member
Apr 9, 2022
I have a Leatherman Signal in a magnetic (Miles Tactical) sheath at my 7 o’clock. It has a saw and knife accessible without unfolding the tool. It also has a whistle (not the strongest) and fire starter. I want to be able to cut aiders if for some reason I became entangled.

Exhumis

SH Member
Mar 12, 2019
Northern Virginia
Which blade is that?
Gear Aid Akua

Still Kicking

SH Member
Jul 22, 2020
Central Illinois
I sewed a strap to hold a cheap replaceable razor knife onto the front of my Backwoods Mobile Gear suspenders for easy access in the saddle. I always have a fixed blade and folder on me at all times also.

Reactions: Publiclandowner

shmelton

SH Member
Jan 5, 2020

I own a Morakniv in Carbon Steel, and a stainless. They are definitely the best bang for your buck hunting knife. I keep the carbon steel in my pack for field dressing, and a small Case XX in my pocket. The Case is my EDC, you never know when you need a pocket knife.

It amazes me how many grown men in this world don’t carry a pocket knife every day. I never understood why a man wouldn’t. I bet I use my pocket knife at least twice a day. I mean a string on a shirt always needs to be cut, finger nails cleaned, pencil sharpened, box opened, and the list goes on. Oh, and carrying a full knife is worse than carrying no knife at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exhumis

SH Member
Mar 12, 2019
Northern Virginia
X5 or whatever number we’re up to regarding Morakniv. I use one for processing deer and for camping. Great knives, hold an edge well and easy to sharpen.

Reactions: rhagenw

Iron_llama

Aug 4, 2020
NW MN
I just got a couple of cheap dive knives on Amazon. Not sure if I'll put them on my bino pack or my saddle, but I like the idea of having a line or strap cutter close at hand, and dive knives are probably best-suited for self-rescue for climbers.