• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle bridge

williamson88

What's your bridge look like and where did you buy it

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I just upgraded my SitDrag from 8mm accessory cord with knots to a DIY spliced Amstel.

With an amsteel bridge does it make sense to use an amsteel Whoopi sling for the tree tether?

Does anybody use an adjustable bridge? Thinking about adding a spliced eye to attach the left side of the bridge on my new Kite and eliminate the big knot, and then running the right side through a prussic that attaches directly or through a carabiner to the right attachment point...

Does anybody use an adjustable bridge? Thinking about adding a spliced eye to attach the left side of the bridge on my new Kite and eliminate the big knot, and then running the right side through a prussic that attaches directly or through a carabiner to the right attachment point...
Yes, there are some guys running an adjustable bridge. Some run it with a friction knot, some have a ropeman in there.

I use an adjustable bridge. I use a ropeman1 on it .

I use a adjustable bridge with a schwabish friction hitch 24" E2E armor prus. Works amazing. I used to use a ropeman but I was reading tests on them and with a 4kn fall the ropeman was cutting through the ropes so I stopped using them. The ropeman at one point had a decent following but a lot of guys stopped using them due to safety concerns.

The Ropeman fell from grace with tree climbers following a number of tests conducted by concerned safety authorities, the HSE in England in particular. Ideally a 'rope clamp', like a prussic knot, should slide on the rope when somewhere between 2.5 kN and 6 kN of static force is applied - the Ropeman didn't slip at all and severed the rope sheath completely at 4 kN. Not an encouraging test result for Wild Country!

It's thought the Ropeman's sheath severing ability is due to the aggressive horizontal tooth pattern on the cam and the way the cam utilizes the relatively thin bar of the carabiner as a base for the cam when its under load.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Saddle hunters are not going to fall very far if something happens. There is not alot of slack in are tether or climbing belt. I always back up my ropeman1. How far of a drop did the test say it took to cut the rope? Was the rope the size recommend for use with ropeman1 ? Just curious.

Saddle hunters are not going to fall very far if something happens. There is not alot of slack in are tether or climbing belt. I always back up my ropeman1. How far of a drop did the test say it took to cut the rope? Was the rope the size recommend for use with ropeman1 ? Just curious.
I used to be a big user of ropemans until I read the testing results on them, The risks are not something i'm willing to take. I know quite a few guys who use them on their linemens belt too, I've take a few good falls on a linemens belt and I fell about 9 feet after the rope finally gripped the back of the tree, I was hurting for a few weeks after that thankfully I was using a schwabish hitch and not a ropeman. I don't know the details the test was done by the HSE in England which is like the OSHA of the US. I guess the reasoning the kong duck rope grab has the barrel style teeth instead of the teeth like the ropeman was because of the testing done showing the ropeman tearing through the rope in mild falls! I had a scary incident with a ropeman 1 around 3 years ago, It was wet and very cold and the rope was soaked and began to freeze, I stood up on my stand to relieve some pressure on my hips when I sat back down the ropeman slid all the way down the rope until it hit my stopper knot, needless to say I was underneath my platform almost as I use 12 feet long tethers!

I used to be a big user of ropemans until I read the testing results on them, The risks are not something i'm willing to take. I know quite a few guys who use them on their linemens belt too, I've take a few good falls on a linemens belt and I fell about 9 feet after the rope finally gripped the back of the tree, I was hurting for a few weeks after that thankfully I was using a schwabish hitch and not a ropeman. I don't know the details the test was done by the HSE in England which is like the OSHA of the US. I guess the reasoning the kong duck rope grab has the barrel style teeth instead of the teeth like the ropeman was because of the testing done showing the ropeman tearing through the rope in mild falls! I had a scary incident with a ropeman 1 around 3 years ago, It was wet and very cold and the rope was soaked and began to freeze, I stood up on my stand to relieve some pressure on my hips when I sat back down the ropeman slid all the way down the rope until it hit my stopper knot, needless to say I was underneath my platform almost as I use 12 feet long tethers!
That's why I always use a prusik knot as a backup. I put it above my ropeman.

I
Just read the testing on the wild country ropeman it was very interesting but it also says that it does depend on the style of rope use and other factors. I'm glad you pointed the test out and everyone who use a ropeman should check it out. Then make a decision on whether or not to use them.

Back