• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle build

ThePennsylvanian

I am really falling in love with the idea of saddle hunting. However, I am not happy with the market for saddles and lightweight/convenient gear. I would like to build up a custom saddle setup for two reasons, the first being that I can have a finished product that is built to me, the second being that I can build purpose built saddles(i.e. early season breathable one, and a fleece late season/cold weather one) at a fraction the cost of buying two. I have a few questions that more then likely have been addressed in other posts, but I thought id post them together.

1.) Have any of you built a saddle using a non industrial sewing machine, like one that would be typical for at home use? I have access to a descent machine but its not industrial. My concern is the strength of the machine when layering materials.
2.) Where are y'all getting your material from? online, local stores etc? I have some ideas of material that I would like to use but I wonder if it would be strong enough for a saddle, i.e. old marpat uniforms.
3.) I have seen a bunch of designs that have built on here that are close to the tethrd and aero hunter saddles, but I was hoping to try to incorporate a climbing harness style connection, utilizing a single point, vs using a bridge style tie in. This may not be an issue but I like the idea of using a single connection directly to the saddle vs using a bridge from the saddle to the tether.
4.) For a tether, how long are yours? Do any of you use a full length rope?

Lastly, these aren't related to the build but more the hunt.
For those who use step rings for the "platform", have y'all had any problems getting spotted because you had to move into shooting position? I'm only curios because w/o a platform in the videos ive seen it appears to be quite a bit of moving to make the weak side shots, Just curious.
Are there any draw backs of using a saddle in late season? how does the extra layer effect the comfort and functionality of the saddle?

I don't know that much about building your own saddle, but what I do know is a single point connection will be a lot less comfortable. The 2 points of connection and the length of the bridge have everything to do with getting rid of hip pinch. That said it might work for you. Good luck.

Read this top to bottom. It will give you a ton of insight on the gear needed to build your own saddle.

https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/sewing-resources-and-information.6100/

Then just search the DIY forum for saddle build threads. There are plenty to get you pointed in the right direction. Here's mine.

https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/diy-kestrel-clone.5757/

Building your own saddle is a very personal thing, as are most things in the saddle hunting world. Enjoy the process! As far as the rest of your questions, check out the Climbing Methods and Platforms section.

I think you should spend some time in a manufactured saddle and see why they are built the way they are and then think about what you could make better. It would be tough to make a saddle tailored for you if you have no experience in one to know what you want different. If you want a single point connection for a backup that’s great but you don’t want that to be your only hookup point. I would buy a rock harness that you could incorporate linesmans loops into. Then diy all you want while backing it up with the rock harness. Once you figure out the shape and size you want to use then you can incorporate the harness into the seat. Some of the old sewing machines are strong enough. Especially the really old singers.

I am really falling in love with the idea of saddle hunting. However, I am not happy with the market for saddles and lightweight/convenient gear. I would like to build up a custom saddle setup for two reasons, the first being that I can have a finished product that is built to me, the second being that I can build purpose built saddles(i.e. early season breathable one, and a fleece late season/cold weather one) at a fraction the cost of buying two. I have a few questions that more then likely have been addressed in other posts, but I thought id post them together.

1.) Have any of you built a saddle using a non industrial sewing machine, like one that would be typical for at home use? I have access to a descent machine but its not industrial. My concern is the strength of the machine when layering materials.
2.) Where are y'all getting your material from? online, local stores etc? I have some ideas of material that I would like to use but I wonder if it would be strong enough for a saddle, i.e. old marpat uniforms.
3.) I have seen a bunch of designs that have built on here that are close to the tethrd and aero hunter saddles, but I was hoping to try to incorporate a climbing harness style connection, utilizing a single point, vs using a bridge style tie in. This may not be an issue but I like the idea of using a single connection directly to the saddle vs using a bridge from the saddle to the tether.
4.) For a tether, how long are yours? Do any of you use a full length rope?

Lastly, these aren't related to the build but more the hunt.
For those who use step rings for the "platform", have y'all had any problems getting spotted because you had to move into shooting position? I'm only curios because w/o a platform in the videos ive seen it appears to be quite a bit of moving to make the weak side shots, Just curious.
Are there any draw backs of using a saddle in late season? how does the extra layer effect the comfort and functionality of the saddle?

- How do you know you are not happy with what is available commercially? You've never purchased a saddle, and therefore cannot comment on the value offered, with any sort of credibility.

- You will not come close to spending less money on building your own saddle versus buying one commercially available. I come to this conclusion because: You don't own a sewing machine. You don't know how to sew. You don't understand what materials are used, where to get them, and how strong they are/need to be. You don't understand why a bridge is used, versus a single point tie in. I fully expect based on your level of experience with sewing and with saddles, that you'll end up with a huge pile of wasted threads before you land on something useful.

- Having covered those two points, I encourage you to start practicing sewing! There are tons of projects that you can do successfully to build up some experience. Making your own gear is fun. The only time it starts to make financial sense to do so, is when you're good enough at it that you don't waste time/material, and the gear you make fits your needs so well, the value increases TO YOU. I don't think people understand just how hard it is to make more complicated pieces of gear efficiently. Get the creative juices flowing on simpler stuff, and practice!

- You can probably get a lot closer on your first go around by visiting the threads that @ckossuth pointed out. There is some really good information here. Spending a few evenings reading is your best bet. Tons of videos on youtube as well - I self taught myself how to use a machine from videos I found there.

- Let's pay some respect to the effort and creativity that went into developing the saddles we have available. The really well made DIY saddles you've seen here are made by folks who have some experience with sewing and saddles under their belt. I don't discourage you from DIY'ing, I only want to see you manage your expectations and come out on the other side happy!

Welcome to the forum - now go make a fleece saddle!

I'm new to this as well, but there's valuable advice above from @kyler1945, @EricS, and @ckossuth. It's a personal journey, and one filled with a ton of options. I had a lot of ideas and opinions before going down to Saddlepalooza in GA, where I tried out numerous saddles and methods, and got some great insight from guys on this forum. DIY is appealing and lots of guys do it well, but it's certainly more complicated and expensive than the idea sounds at the outset. Good luck, and welcome to the site!

I'm new to this as well, but there's valuable advice above from @kyler1945, @EricS, and @ckossuth. It's a personal journey, and one filled with a ton of options. I had a lot of ideas and opinions before going down to Saddlepalooza in GA, where I tried out numerous saddles and methods, and got some great insight from guys on this forum. DIY is appealing and lots of guys do it well, but it's certainly more complicated and expensive than the idea sounds at the outset. Good luck, and welcome to the site!
Kelvin is spot on about the money. You can pair a gathered end fleece saddle with a rock harness for cheap. Actually building something like the kestrel or mantis tailored for your body shape will likely take several tries and much more money than just buying one. Now if you want to diy something because you think you can make something better or just find satisfaction from making stuff go for it.

Welcome, from another newbie! I hunted with a sit drag this past year and was very pleased with it. My only change going into the coming year was to sew up a new harness which I posted on DIY. While learning to use your machine you may want to try some other available options. That being said, I too enjoy making gear, I use an old Singer 15/91. The people on this forum will go out their way to help and I've learned a bunch from them.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Kelvin is spot on about the money. You can pair a gathered end fleece saddle with a rock harness for cheap. Actually building something like the kestrel or mantis tailored for your body shape will likely take several tries and much more money than just buying one. Now if you want to diy something because you think you can make something better or just find satisfaction from making stuff go for it.
Tagging onto this one... the key is getting some time in with various saddles and combos by meeting up with guys on the site and getting a feel for them. Having last season under my belt in 3 homemade configs let me know the feel I wanted. When I went to Saddlepalooza, I already knew what I wanted to feel, just needed to find the commercial model that did that best. The other advice, DO try a fleece with rch. The final advice is DON'T try a fleece with rch - nothing else will be as comfortable and you will be ruined! Seriously, try as many as many as you can, then get several!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ok to clearify, I meant no disrespect to the commercially available saddles. I am not saying that they aren't great systems. I was merely stating that I have an idea of what I want in a saddle setup. IMO i don't think that is so bad. I had the opportunity to use a tethrd mantis this past fall and late season. i looked into the kite and it didn't look all that different than the mantis system. I was contemplating building one from scratch but I may utilize a climbing harness and a sitdrag for the majority of the season then use a gathered end fleece saddle for the late season. Thanks for the input all, I did not mean to come off as disrespectful or a know it all.... All I do know is it didn't take much to convince me that this style of hunting is unbelievable, and it really changed my world, also kinda disappoints me that I just now found this!

Ok to clearify, I meant no disrespect to the commercially available saddles. I am not saying that they aren't great systems. I was merely stating that I have an idea of what I want in a saddle setup. IMO i don't think that is so bad. I had the opportunity to use a tethrd mantis this past fall and late season. i looked into the kite and it didn't look all that different than the mantis system. I was contemplating building one from scratch but I may utilize a climbing harness and a sitdrag for the majority of the season then use a gathered end fleece saddle for the late season. Thanks for the input all, I did not mean to come off as disrespectful or a know it all.... All I do know is it didn't take much to convince me that this style of hunting is unbelievable, and it really changed my world, also kinda disappoints me that I just now found this!
No one took it as disrespectful to any manufacturer. With you being a new member and opening with falling in love with the idea of saddle hunting it sounded as if you had zero experience in a saddle but wanted to make a perfect one for yourself. The reason I mentioned a commercial saddle was so you would know what worked and what didn’t do you would know a little more about what you wanted. Since you spent most of the season in a mantis you obviously have something in mind on where you want to start. I would still put my rear in a kite and kestrel and get a feel for them. Maybe take what you like from each and a few personal ideas of your own and voila you have a custom saddle built to fit you. For the record the kite and mantis look very similar but are two very different saddles built for different styles of saddle hunting. There are things I like and dislike about both systems. I haven’t sat in the perfect one yet but my collection is growing every year as are my ideas of what would make a perfect saddle. The point trying to be made above is you can go cheap by pairing a rock climbing harness with just about anything. A fleece saddle may be the most comfortable thing ever. It really doesn’t matter what you pair with a good harness as long as you are hooked into the harness at all times. If you want to make something like the mantis or kite with the harness built in I still stand behind my earlier comment but try to at least sit in every commercial saddle you can get your hands on as research for building your very own perfectly built for you saddle. This site is very diy friendly. Just trying to steer you in the right direction.

Completely understand where you are coming from. I had the opportunity to borrow a mantis to try but when the temps dropped and the layers added up, I couldn't get comfortable that's more the reason why I was asking about a purpose built saddle as in a fleece type for when the temps drop. As far as my experience goes I wouldn't say zero but I also wouldnt that it's a whole lot more than zero. I just know that I want to incorporate this into my hunts asap, I cannot say enough how blown away I was by a saddle vs always using my summit open shot, which I will probably still incorporate until I can get a solid system down! But it's gonna be hard to take it in the woods again. . . .

You are really better off with an under quilt for the saddle than an actual saddle made from fleece. The kestrel is considerably warmer to me than the mantis when it’s hot out because of breathability but there’s not that much of a difference when it’s really cold. Same thing if you built a fleece saddle it wouldn’t be as warm as a mesh saddle with a fleece under quilt with a wind barrier on the outside of it. Now if you want to build one or several saddles just for the fun of it please do and post your builds/results.

Just a thought, or 2.

If it hasn’t been mentioned, you should try other hunters Saddles before you decide a DIY version is needed. I did read several posts, but not all of them.

DIY Options can cost a lot! I am working on one that I have about $120 in Materials/Hardware. (I admit, I added that up in my head really fast just now so I might be off) I bought and used a Terthrd Mantis all season. My DIY is simply to take away the CONs that my Mantis has. Not that it is a bad Saddle, I just had small issues with it and decided to Make something.

A place to buy Fabric is Ripstopbytheroll.com and Webbing at strapworks.com. I also buy webbing and Amsteel from dutchwaregear.com

Good luck, post pictures of your build if you do make one. I’ll be sure to post mine.

I just bought a juki DDL-8700H for $700 lol. I could have bought 3 saddles for that price. So it is nowhere near financially intelligent to buy a machine to make your own saddle. Even if you find a good deal on an old singer like I have multiple of it still isnt really any cheaper to make your own saddle once you factor in time and materials. I make the knaiders and swaiders in the classifieds and pretty much anything else someone messages me to make for them that I can make cheaper or better than them buying commercially so it makes sense for me to have an industrial machine. But also I just wanted it because I wanted it. I have made saddles on my old singer machines. My 1951 singer 201 does this the best, but it is still kind of a struggle and you have to get creative when putting it together or you will run into spots that are too thick to sew. Also you will burn through a lot of materials making your first saddle or anything else for that matter. The advice you are getting is spot on. Get a machine and learn to use it so you can make your own gear the way you want it but dont be fooled into thinking you are going to save money on it. You will honestly probably spend more. To provide an example I cant make a simple molle dump pouch any cheaper than I can buy one on amazon but I can make one exactly the way I want to make one to fit my needs.

- How do you know you are not happy with what is available commercially? You've never purchased a saddle, and therefore cannot comment on the value offered, with any sort of credibility.

- You will not come close to spending less money on building your own saddle versus buying one commercially available. I come to this conclusion because: You don't own a sewing machine. You don't know how to sew. You don't understand what materials are used, where to get them, and how strong they are/need to be. You don't understand why a bridge is used, versus a single point tie in. I fully expect based on your level of experience with sewing and with saddles, that you'll end up with a huge pile of wasted threads before you land on something useful.

- Having covered those two points, I encourage you to start practicing sewing! There are tons of projects that you can do successfully to build up some experience. Making your own gear is fun. The only time it starts to make financial sense to do so, is when you're good enough at it that you don't waste time/material, and the gear you make fits your needs so well, the value increases TO YOU. I don't think people understand just how hard it is to make more complicated pieces of gear efficiently. Get the creative juices flowing on simpler stuff, and practice!

- You can probably get a lot closer on your first go around by visiting the threads that @ckossuth pointed out. There is some really good information here. Spending a few evenings reading is your best bet. Tons of videos on youtube as well - I self taught myself how to use a machine from videos I found there.

- Let's pay some respect to the effort and creativity that went into developing the saddles we have available. The really well made DIY saddles you've seen here are made by folks who have some experience with sewing and saddles under their belt. I don't discourage you from DIY'ing, I only want to see you manage your expectations and come out on the other side happy!

Welcome to the forum - now go make a fleece saddle!
Trusting the folks who have been hunting out of saddle for a while, i trusted your advice and pulled the trigger on a kite. I also scored an old school singer for free, but needs a new motor. I have been practicing sewing by using a lot of uniforms to make dump pouches and junk like that..... i am eager to see what i learn this year about using a saddle as my sole tree hunting method! Thanks for the help and honest feedback!

You can always hand stitch it, but it takes a little longer to complete! It is a lot cheaper than buying a machine!!!

Back