• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle care

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
How do you keep your saddle in good shape?

John Eberhart has said to rub paraffin wax into the nylon but I have not had great luck with that. I have trouble getting the nylon to soak up the wax. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Hi guys. Let me start by saying that I am the designer of the Aero Hunter and I am real excited about this site! As far as saddle care goes we keep it as clean as we can and if needed wash in cold water with a mild non-detergent soap and hang to dry in a well ventilated area and out direct sunlight. It should be stored in a clean dry dark place. If stored in your garage you should keep it off the concrete and away from chemicals. That is what we recommend.

redsquirrel

No hard feelings but I have never told anyone to rub wax anywhere on a saddle. Trophyline suggested rubbing wax into the cinch strap so the lead will slide easier, but I have found that not to be the case. Slides much easier when left as is.

John, no hard feelings taken. I had a conversation with you about the same time as I did with someone from trophyline so maybe I mixed up my conversations. I apologize for misquoting you.

No problem and I sure hope this site takes off. The harness style hunting system, so blows away any type of conventional stand and while we don't need the competition of other spiders in trees, it's always gratifying to see hunters move forward and take advantage of items that will make them more successful.

John Eberhart said:
No problem and I sure hope this site takes off. The harness style hunting system, so blows away any type of conventional stand and while we don't need the competition of other spiders in trees, it's always gratifying to see hunters move forward and take advantage of items that will make them more successful.

Thanks John. It is great to have you here to share all of your experience and knowledge with us. That in itself will be a huge boost for the site.

I agree that nothing else compares to hunting out of a saddle. I don't think we have to worry too much about the competition from other "tree spiders" (love that term! :lol: ). For whatever reason it seems like a lot of people are just not very open to the idea. I don't know whether it is because it looks like a big "diaper", because of the learning curve to using it and being comfortable or just because it is so different than what they are used to. Maybe that will change someday, I don't know.

The one thing I do know is that everyone I know who has given it a real shot has never gone back and become addicted to using it. I thought this site would be the perfect place for the "diehards"!

I applaud anyone that uses a harness style system no matter which one it is. I have nor ever have had a horse in this race. Sure I sold a few saddles on my website but that was just to make that type of system more accessible to hunters. I was never paid a dime by Trophyline and have no allegiance to them whatsoever. Just love the harness style system and know how superior it is to conventional stands of any type.

I'm with you John. Finally converted my brother 2 seasons ago and he hasn't looked back. It is the best system period.

John.. I figured out where I learnt about waxing the tree saddle. The Tree Saddle tips & tricks sheet that came with my saddle says "wax the webbing belts on your Tree Saddle at least once a year with a block of parafin wax (Gulf Wax) or candle wax to keep them pliable and quiet." I knew I had found out about that somewhere!

John,
You are the sole reason I use saddles. After reading your (and Chris's) books I became a saddle hunter. I use them about 75% of the time. I do set a couple hangers for my downstate buddies who come up to hunt with me and I set them in great spots so I will go too them now and then. I also hunt from the ground about 25% of the time as well, something I've migrated too the past few years. I never use blinds, just ghilli suits and ponchos. I have 8 or 9 of them now for all seasons, and terrains in my area. But my most serious spots, and rut stands are all saddle stands.

As for care, I can't see anything I can do that would make them last longer, just figuring I'd buy new straps as necessary until TL went out of business. This is why I'm excited about the Aero Hunter, it fills the void. I almost bought a Guido, but talked to you and of course changed my mind.

So for me, I will just use them until they wear out and buy new ones. I don't see too much issue with wearing them out though, with the exception of the ropes and straps and hopefully, the Aero folks will offer these items individually as TL did. That should do it for me.

I agree with you on the tree straps being the main thing that wore down that needed to be replaced. On my saddle the bridge section is starting to get a little fuzzy in spots as well. New tribe has the tree strap and the linemans belt listed to be purchased individually. http://www.newtribe.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=20 The bridge is only rope so I assume it can be replaced if necessary but I haven't had my hands on one yet so I'm not sure.

Just received a 2004 Ambush saddle (medium! Yes I know, the rarity lol)and the webbing is dry. Is there a way to bring the webbing back to life?

redsquirrel said:
BTW that is an impressive find. I had trouble finding my medium ambush saddle while trophyline was still in business!

You're not kidding! I'm trying to snatch one up now, just don't want to pay $400 for one.

WCork said:
redsquirrel said:
BTW that is an impressive find. I had trouble finding my medium ambush saddle while trophyline was still in business!

You're not kidding! I'm trying to snatch one up now, just don't want to pay $400 for one.

Yea, for the price they are going for I would recommend buying an Aero Hunter

Back