• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle Design and Comfort.

seuss79

I've made several DIY saddles. The Kestrel Clone, Kestrel Clone 2" taller and longer bridge loops, and a wraptor.

The Kestrel that I made larger was more comfortable for me than the original I made following the sizing in the original thread. I just felt the bridge loops were way too long.

I'm about to embark on another build. Before I do, I am hoping to get some opinions. Bridge loops! Where should they stop when you are wearing it for max comfort in the tree? Assuming you are standing and wearing your saddle, pulling the loops around your body to the center of you. I am curious if those that say they are comfortable in saddles with minimal hip pinch have similar locations where the loops end on their body. I'd also like to see similarities of those who are uncomfortable.

Using the measuring technique you mentioned, I like my bridge loops to come about 4-6” short of touching each other in front of me. This allows me to shorten my bridge nice and tight for the walk in and is comfortable for me while in the tree.

Once the two pieces of webbing making up the frame of the saddle clear your hips, the rest doesn’t matter from a comfort perspective. Saddle and bridge form a continuous loop. Too short and the bridge loops being folded over and coming together will create pressure on your hips. Too long amd you’ll only be able to use a short bridge. But everything in between doesn’t matter from a comfort perspective.

I’d make the saddle as short as possible end to end, that allows for the webbing frame to lay flat anywhere it touches my body.

Once the two pieces of webbing making up the frame of the saddle clear your hips, the rest doesn’t matter from a comfort perspective. Saddle and bridge form a continuous loop. Too short and the bridge loops being folded over and coming together will create pressure on your hips. Too long amd you’ll only be able to use a short bridge. But everything in between doesn’t matter from a comfort perspective.

I’d make the saddle as short as possible end to end, that allows for the webbing frame to lay flat anywhere it touches my body.

This is what I was thinking.

The one I built with longer loops made the bridge extremely short. I am guessing that the extra height I made the 2nd Kestrel aided in my comfort.

Here is my Yellow Jacket (tm) saddle building experience. I don't like the bridge loops too long since I cannot then have a very short bridge. I added a wooden plywood insert which eliminated all hip pinch.

I've seen your build. It definitely solves the hip pinch. I know I'm not going to eliminate it with a soft saddle. I was rather looking for similarities of the bridge loops length and comfort.

Kyler1945 said what I was kind of thinking about loop length. More of a confirmation instead of building too many more with varying lengths without improved results.

Back