• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle dump pouch

Halfstep

I am new to saddle hunting and looking at some dump pouches from EWO and noticed they have two sizes to choose from. One is 8x6x1.5 and the other is 12x9x1.5. Not sure which size to get. Don't want pouches bigger than necessary hanging from the saddle. Has anyone used the larger sized EWO pouches? I'm just looking to stay light and just carry the bare minimum like ropes, carabiners, descender, linemen and a few other necessities needed to climb/hunt/descend. Any other hunting items can be carried in a small backpack. Any good pouch suggestions would be welcome.

If you’re going to rappel down or you one stick and use your rappel rope as your tether I’d go with the larger one. Otherwise the smaller one should suffice for your LB and a couple of binders. These are good pouches by the way but I’ve now moved everything off my saddle and just daisy chain my LB which is permanently girth hitched to my left side. Depending on which pack I’m using, my tether is in either an outside pack pouch or a dump pouch attached to my pack. On the main pack I use I have a larger pouch that I switch out ropes/tethers/stick attachment ropes etc. depending on the climbing system I’m using.

If you’re going to rappel down or you one stick and use your rappel rope as your tether I’d go with the larger one. Otherwise the smaller one should suffice for your LB and a couple of binders. These are good pouches by the way but I’ve now moved everything off my saddle and just daisy chain my LB which is permanently girth hitched to my left side. Depending on which pack I’m using, my tether is in either an outside pack pouch or a dump pouch attached to my pack. On the main pack I use I have a larger pouch that I switch out ropes/tethers/stick attachment ropes etc. depending on the climbing system I’m using.

Thanks for the reply. I have a transformer saddle and not really sure how well it would handle loaded pouches while walking long walks. I thought about using a backpack to carry in everything. Early season is warm here in southern Missouri so I like to stay open and light. Not sure if pouches are a good early season option or if using a backpack is the better option.

I also thought about using a single pouch on the saddle just as a place to store the 40-foot of tether rope while up in the tree but use the backpack to carry everything in and out.

Thanks for the reply. I have a transformer saddle and not really sure how well it would handle loaded pouches while walking long walks. I thought about using a backpack to carry in everything. Early season is warm here in southern Missouri so I like to stay open and light. Not sure if pouches are a good early season option or if using a backpack is the better option.

I also thought about using a single pouch on the saddle just as a place to store the 40-foot of tether rope while up in the tree but use the backpack to carry everything in and out.
I have a Transformer with 1 dump pouch and 1 water bottle pouch, and I keep all my ropes, biners, rappel line, belay device, etc. on my saddle. Nothing on/in the backpack except maybe a spare tether, and my one stick or ROS. Fwiw, I do tend to hunt later, colder seasons. I’m not using the EWO pouches, just tacticool pouches from Amazon. I will say- and I hope this addresses your question- all that weight on the saddle really adds up for long walks, and I’m going in 1-1.5 mi usually. I usually have to string my LB over my shoulders to use as suspenders to help keep the saddle up. It likes to sag a lot.

Personally, when climbing I prefer to have all my rope system and possible bail-out gear on my person and not in my backpack where it may be harder to access if I’m in a jam hanging high on a tree trunk. But I wouldn’t have to hike that way. You may find it preferable to carry everything in a pack and just choose to spend 5 minutes at the base of your tree pulling out ropes and gear instead of wearing it all in. Doing so does create some more drag and noise on brush, and gets heavy.

Know all about the heat stroke weather of early season and I still prefer a frame pack. Rope, tether, biners etc are all in pockets or water bottle pouch on the waist belt of the pack. The weight management benefit of a serious pack is unquestionably worth it imo. And when I kill, I am not dragging or having to make multiple trips or dealing with carts. I start sweating when I get out of the truck so I have decided to identify as scent free.

I would vote for the larger one just for the ease of entry and it gives you some extra space to carry self rescue loops etc., in the bottom. I actually prefer having my ropes and other immediate access stuff like my gps, water bottle, pull down line, madrock/biner, self rescue loops/utility knife in dump pouches so that they are either immediately available while I’m walking in or immediately available if I find myself hanging upside down from a rope on the side of the tree vice uselessly hanging in a backpack on the side of the tree several feet above my head.

I’ve never had a problem with the weight on my saddle and in fact I like it because it distributes the weight nicely around my body and on my hips, vs. all of it on my back in a backpack, although a good hipbelt solves most of that for a pack. Also don’t like a pack sweating up my back. Many will disagree because they can’t keep their saddle around their waist or they feel it limits their movement in the tree. Never been an issue for me. I walk in over a mile and hang in the tree with them and never even know they are there. So, it really comes down to you and how you like to manage things. There are several different ways to do it, no right or wrong, and only you know what you like. Good Luck!

Whatever pouch you decide to get is up to you-remember, you can make a bigger pouch smaller, but you can't make a smaller one bigger-just like backpacks! ;)

Another thing to consider- if you decide to rappel out of the tree when you're done for the day, look at roll pouches. Beaston (a member on this site) makes an excellent one that'll hold your rope & all necessary doo-dads needed for rappelling.

If you have a concern with a loaded saddle "sinking down" during long treks in, take a look at these:

They attach to any saddle with molle loops, fit under backpack straps with no problem, & are easy to attach/detach. I have one set on my Dryad Drey, & another on my Transformer.

I have two on my Transformer. They are fine with no issues on weight. I went the Amazon route and got 3 dump pouches for $15. Maybe not the nicest but they work.

I will often use one bag on my saddle for my rappel/tether rope and a small shoulder sling pack for all my other things I carry. I like the sling pack because I can move it to the front of me and easily see what I need. I either take it off when on the platform or leave it on my back. I find it difficult to get things out of bags hanging from my saddle. I bought some of the cheap Amazon dump pouches and I think I like them better than some of the name brand saddle pouches. They are stiffer and easier to use. Maybe because I am about as flexible as a 2"x4" . Whatever works for you.

Back