• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle for duck hunting?

We hunt a NWR quite a bit that has a lot of oxbow lakes and cypress sloughs. We usually have to hunt out of a boat. While comfortable, it’s hard to hide. We have strung up makeshift blinds with camo netting and I also own and Avery pop up boat blind but find it more cumbersome than it’s worth. It dawned on me that hanging a saddle in a cypress tree might just work out really well. I’ve gotta get some more of my buddies on board with the saddle. I may experiment with this setup during the off-season and try shooting a shotgun from it at some skeet.

Nutterbuster hunts anything that breathes out of a saddle. I had a turkey sit last year in one... beats sitting on the ground, or in duck case a swamp stool

I use a saddle in the flooded timber or on the edges of creek banks and beaver ponds fairly often. It's nice to be able to "sit" after you've set your spread and are waiting for the morning flight.

Do you take the whole climbing setup or do you use it just above ground level? To that end, would you hang it so your butt is just off the ground and your legs are stretched out or do you hang it so you are sitting like in a chair with your feet in the ground?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you take the whole climbing setup or do you use it just above ground level? To that end, would you hang it so your butt is just off the ground and your legs are stretched out or do you hang it so you are sitting like in a chair with your feet in the ground?

Hunting ducks from an elevated blind is illegal in Alabama. Shame, because sometimes them dang ole woodies like to fly just over the tops of some big old trees. That's all I got to say about that. :)

The best way I've found to use a saddle for ducks on the ground or in the water is to tether off low and lean back with a very long tether. Kinda like leaning against a bar usually. I want to be far enough from the tree that I can swing a barrel wherever the feet are coming in.

Hunting ducks from an elevated blind is illegal in Alabama. Shame, because sometimes them dang ole woodies like to fly just over the tops of some big old trees. That's all I got to say about that. :)

The best way I've found to use a saddle for ducks on the ground or in the water is to tether off low and lean back with a very long tether. Kinda like leaning against a bar usually. I want to be far enough from the tree that I can swing a barrel wherever the feet are coming in.

What about for turkey?

This convo reminds me of why I like hammock camping. I can set up anywhere there are 2 trees. Side of a hill or a swamp for example.

(Also if there are no trees I set it up on the ground like a tent with a pole and ropes at each end)

I am determined to catch a giant Northern out of my saddle. Wait - that seems like a major pain in the ass.

You can hunt them from an elevated position with a bow.

I’m not aware of any laws in Ontario about where you have to position yourself like this but I will check the regs to be sure. Thanks!

I've used a saddle platform for many, many duck hunts. Never thought about using a saddle. Doesn't seem very practical. My brother just sent me this pic the other day.

8b3bb906a423b0cd6d6c6ec2e180069d.jpg

Nick, next time I come thru LA we are gonna have a , leaning like leaning against a bar is clear as a bell to me, Waayyyy too much practice before I got old

Nick, next time I come thru LA we are gonna have a , leaning like leaning against a bar is clear as a bell to me, Waayyyy too much practice before I got old
That's right. ;)

It works for me. I'm not good for much, but I can wipe the smug little grin right off a woody's face with some 1,450fps #4 steel.

I’m not aware of any laws in Ontario about where you have to position yourself like this but I will check the regs to be sure. Thanks!

No law that I have heard about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I use a saddle in the flooded timber or on the edges of creek banks and beaver ponds fairly often. It's nice to be able to "sit" after you've set your spread and are waiting for the morning flight.

If Alabama has flooded timber, why does every other truck at every public boat ramp in Arkansas this time of year have Alabama tags???

If Alabama has flooded timber, why does every other truck at every public boat ramp in Arkansas this time of year have Alabama tags???
Because we're just off the Atlantic and Mississippi flyways, and if you don't like shooting woodies, you're **** outta luck.

Plenty of woodies though, and we get patches of other birds in some areas. Lucky me, I prefer hunting woodies over any other bird. They're beautiful, tasty, and absolutely enchanting. I get to see then almost every day here on the river. Listening to them settle in to their roost across the river from me is, I imagine, what it's like to be a mother and watch your kid sleep.

Because we're just off the Atlantic and Mississippi flyways, and if you don't like shooting woodies, you're **** outta luck.

Plenty of woodies though, and we get patches of other birds in some areas. Lucky me, I prefer hunting woodies over any other bird. They're beautiful, tasty, and absolutely enchanting. I get to see then almost every day here on the river. Listening to them settle in to their roost across the river from me is, I imagine, what it's like to be a mother and watch your kid sleep.

Seems as though woodies are about the only thing we have here the last couple of years. It wasn’t that long ago that we wouldn’t waste a shell on a woody. I hunted 4 days last year and only 1 so far this year. I used to hunt 3-4 days a week. It blows my mind that these guys drive from SC, GA, AL, etc. every weekend to hunt here with the poor success rates we’ve seen lately. Not to mention what some of them are paying for a flooded field that’s a bona fide gar hole. The farmers around here grin from ear to ear when the oosers come calling about leasing a field.

Seems as though woodies are about the only thing we have here the last couple of years. It wasn’t that long ago that we wouldn’t waste a shell on a woody. I hunted 4 days last year and only 1 so far this year. I used to hunt 3-4 days a week. It blows my mind that these guys drive from SC, GA, AL, etc. every weekend to hunt here with the poor success rates we’ve seen lately. Not to mention what some of them are paying for a flooded field that’s a bona fide gar hole. The farmers around here grin from ear to ear when the oosers come calling about leasing a field.
I got no complaints here on my end. I limit out on my 3 birds practically every time I go out. If i don't it's my fault and not the sky-God's.

I have a run off pond right behind my place and it is FULL of ducks and geese all day. 50-100 at a time.

It’s also within town limits and we have a no-discharge bylaw that even includes bows. There’s also a major road on the other side of it so in several ways it’s not huntable.

There’s never any waterfowl on the nearest ponds that are huntable. :-(

I have a run off pond right behind my place and it is FULL of ducks and geese all day. 50-100 at a time.

It’s also within town limits and we have a no-discharge bylaw that even includes bows. There’s also a major road on the other side of it so in several ways it’s not huntable.

There’s never any waterfowl on the nearest ponds that are huntable. :-(

Sounds like you need a slingshot and some half ounce steely balls. Cant use lead you know ;)

Back