• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle Hunting Pack Post - What defines "the best" Saddle Hunting Pack?

BurntReynolds

I am a noob when it comes to saddle hunting, but I have a lengthy background spanning about 35 years in western big game hunting, backpacking, ice climbing and gear tinkering, and am trying to wade through a lot of great info on this forum as well as others about what constitutes "the best" saddle hunting pack. My plans are for next fall, when I can spend time dialing in the saddle, sticks, etc. and then complete the system with a pack.

I realize there is a separate thread dedicated to packs, but what I am more curious about is what specific FEATURES need to be part of a great saddle hunting pack?
Namely:
  • What is the maximum and minimum size? What is too small/too big?
  • How important is quiet fabric compared to durability/longevity of the pack/textile? (Fuzzy or quiet fabrics are just not as durable as woven textiles.)
  • Platform/stick carry options - what works well in most/all conditions?
  • Pockets - a few or tons everywhere?
  • Load Shelf for packing deer or larger gear/equipment - nice to have?
  • Camo? Solids? Does it matter? Which patterns really standout or are popular?
  • Price? (good quality saddles, platforms, etc. are not exactly cheap, so why cheap out on a pack? More of a question for the group.)
Any feedback, expertise, preferences, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

I'll offer what i can...I dont like anything too bulky since its hanging on the tree with me and im trying to hide from the deer. never really paid too much attention to material and never been too concerned as im not digging in it excessively. As for carrying sticks and pockets, this is where ive gone through several packs trying to find ''the one''. For me, has to have horizontal straps across the front of the pack, carrying sticks on sides of packs was never my favorite. I also need pockets, not just one general compartment. doesnt need to be camo but i would still prefer a solid neutral color like tan or brown if i went that route...price wise for me...not gonna spend more than 150-200 on one....i understand the western guys might need more pack for their hunts than i do in S La so im sure they can justify those 300-500$ on up frame packs

So much of that is personal preference and what suits the way you want to hunt. As was said, straps/ methods to secure sticks is a big consideration.I like bedroll straps for that, but across the front is vital for extras in my book. I'm in SC Pa, so generally never see temps colder than mid 20's. 2000 cubic inches carries all the gear I would need, anything bigger is just more in the tree. As for pockets, a place for everything you want, where you can keep it accessible. Molle somewhere that you can add or strap if needed is cool. I use one pack all season, so ideally weight empty is not too crazy.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk

Largely depends on personal preference and hunting style, mostly the type of climbing method and type of deer removal from the field you will employ. Depending on those two main factors and your body type and budget the list narrows. Season/weather and your desire to pack what you want vs minimalist further narrows the list. There's a reason why the pack thread is very very long, however has a few main front runners. Decide how much you care about your third, fifth, and seventh bullet point, the others are secondary.

@thedutchtouch covered it pretty well, my thoughts:
    • Depends, how do you hunt? If you’re a walk 1/4 mile in from parking lot guy prolly don’t need a 3 day pack. If you’re a big woods/mountain quarter and pack out guy prolly need something large.
  • How important is quiet fabric compared to durability/longevity of the pack/textile? (Fuzzy or quiet fabrics are just not as durable as woven textiles.)
    • Again depends how you hunt. If I’m far back in the woods I want something that’s rugged and going to last. If I’m hunting my normal parcel in which I’m hanging 1/4 mile from my truck I’d prefer stealth.
    • Generally a pack that has molle or multiple tie down and securing points/options will be your best bet-your style may change over time as will your load out (weather, season, etc)
    • I like my pockets inboard so I can keep my kit organized. I don’t like pockets and crap hanging off my pack as stuff is easier to lose that way, gets caught on stuff and is noisier.
    • I’ve run packs with and without, I’d say if you’re packing out it might be nice to have the extra option but if not then it isn’t necessary.
    • Personal preference. I’d say quality of brand matters more than camo pattern or color.
  • Price? (good quality saddles, platforms, etc. are not exactly cheap, so why cheap out on a pack? More of a question for the group.)
    • This is where you’ll probably get the most variation in answers, but I’ll stick with the old saying you get what you pay for. I guarantee a quality but more costly saddle from CGM is absolutely worth it over a cheap Chinese saddle from Amazon. And that goes for pretty much any piece of gear that your life may depend on - ropes, buckles, biners, links, etc. You can save a buck on clothes, a pack, socks, etc but an actual saddle and associated gear I will never go cheap. And by cheap I mean cheaply made, not inexpensive because there is inexpensive kit that gets the job done.

Just depends on your style, mostly private (shorter walks to presets could use a much smaller pack) but for the public or long hike conversation then how are you getting the deer out should steer your selection & go from there. Next climbing method/platform…. If you have these worked out then that checks boxes & narrows the field. There is no one solution pack for all because of these variables.

@BurntReynolds You are asking the right questions however the only person who can really answer them is you based on your experience. I didn't find the right pack until I had some experience saddle hunting and had my climbing system settled. I did find the right pack for me the summer after my second season saddle hunting. I first I tried a few pack I had, then I bought a couple and finally found the right mix for my style of hunting. The Official backpack thread is a beast however there is a lot of good info in there. Start from the latest posts and look for people who are using similar climbing method's with similar saddles in a similar landscape and are a similar build to you.

Good luck

As stated: it's all based off of personal preference and individual needs and/or wants. I float between a lumbar belt style that I "built" and an EXO K4 2200. I want the minimum space requirements to handle what I need to do, based off the specific hunt and the environment/weather. I will personally always choose a frame pack over a non-frame pack (even though it may be heavier it won't feel like it) unless I'm using my lumbar setup for UL instances.

Personal preference as said.

But for me, it's not really an available pack per se, it's a great suspension built on a small treestand. Make it pull double-duty as a pack frame.

The LW .5 or Beast stand, or similar. Great stands, but nobody commercially has really come close to nailing that suspension aspect yet. All the offerings I'm aware of are very okayish at best. Severely lacking in padding, poor fit/contours, not great adjustability. Cheap junk, not quality components.

DIY is an option to that end, I think the best option presently is the Kiui suspension. It doesn't take too much finangling to get that to work, and the components are available. I know there is a youtube or three showing how to do that. I harvested parts of an old Kelty pack I had laying around to accomplish effectively the same thing, and I absolutely love mine.

From there I just pack modular with a load sling, or even just bungee cords work just as well depending what I am rolling with (amount of crap correlates directly with temps). I have a few different fanny packs. Those integrate well with my climbing system (one-sticking).

I'm a big woods hunter and pack all my cold-weather gear in and that works great for me. I could probably pack a deer out with it, but I've always just gone back to the truck to get my dedicated meat hauler. Early season that prospect is certainly easier. Packing out all that cold weather stuff and a deer, that would take more pack than I am willing to carry under my cicumstances.

ROS guys certainly can get away with a level of compactness and minimalism us platform guys can't. That opens up a lot of options to go very ultralight. I just can't ROS. Just doesn't work for me. Kinda wish it did, but alas.

I used to have a MR popup and a saddle platform, until I came to this realization. Us platform guys, by the time you add the weight of a saddle platform plus a frame pack, why not just do what I do and go to a small treestand. And the weakside shooting is so much simpler with more footroom. Win-wins to that degree are rare in life.

This is my setup. I defintiely should get a more breathable backpad, but other than that it has worked great for I think 4 seasons now.

1700241658734.png

Last edited:
@thedutchtouch covered it pretty well, my thoughts:
    • Depends, how do you hunt? If you’re a walk 1/4 mile in from parking lot guy prolly don’t need a 3 day pack. If you’re a big woods/mountain quarter and pack out guy prolly need something large.
    • Again depends how you hunt. If I’m far back in the woods I want something that’s rugged and going to last. If I’m hunting my normal parcel in which I’m hanging 1/4 mile from my truck I’d prefer stealth.
    • Generally a pack that has molle or multiple tie down and securing points/options will be your best bet-your style may change over time as will your load out (weather, season, etc)
    • I like my pockets inboard so I can keep my kit organized. I don’t like pockets and crap hanging off my pack as stuff is easier to lose that way, gets caught on stuff and is noisier.
    • I’ve run packs with and without, I’d say if you’re packing out it might be nice to have the extra option but if not then it isn’t necessary.
    • Personal preference. I’d say quality of brand matters more than camo pattern or color.
    • This is where you’ll probably get the most variation in answers, but I’ll stick with the old saying you get what you pay for. I guarantee a quality but more costly saddle from CGM is absolutely worth it over a cheap Chinese saddle from Amazon. And that goes for pretty much any piece of gear that your life may depend on - ropes, buckles, biners, links, etc. You can save a buck on clothes, a pack, socks, etc but an actual saddle and associated gear I will never go cheap. And by cheap I mean cheaply made, not inexpensive because there is inexpensive kit that gets the job done.
Awesome feedback and perspective. Much appreciated!

@BurntReynolds
I have purchased so many packs over the years saddle hunting. I have an old picture posted with about 20 different hunting packs on the wall. I have found through the years that I would rather have more space and not need it than need more space and not have it. I currently run the badlands 2200 and I have enough space to put a hydration bladder in it and my saddle in the pack after a hunt when I am packing out. It has 3 wing straps, I put the center strap around my custom saddle hoodie on the outside of the pack and use the top and bottom straps to hold my one stick. When I am ready to go hunting I grab my pack and my bow and I have everything I need. Makes it so much simpler for me personally. Weight is so close to smaller packs that it is negligible. I hang it on the tree just fine. I have a doyles hoist in my pack with a grommet and I climb with it on my back.

Okay, I know this is a different approach but I'll throw it out there as an option. I run a turkey vest as my saddle hunting pack The front pouches separate and store the things I need to access in the tree. The pouch carries the larger items: rappel rope, one stick, platform and outer layers. I attached a dump pouch for my tether and lineman's rope.

While hunting I hang the vest directly in front of me wrapped around the tree. There the back padding in it serves as my kneepad and I can still access all the pockets with minimal movement almost as if I was wearing it.

Picture of it packed
1700275317883.png
Picture of it on the tree.
1700275531717.png

You probably need to build out your climbing system first. It will be much easier to find a specific pack once you know how you will be saddle hunting. You also need to decide if your gonna wear your saddle in or pack it in. I believe once you answer those questions, the answer will become a lot clearer on your pack needs.

Back