• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle in a hangon

Did it that way for most of this season. Placed the tether low (about waist height) when I was standing and using it like a regular hang on tree stand. Placed the tether at normal “tether height” when using it as a saddle. (Chin to forehead height). No weak side shot concerns. Better than shoulder harness. Easier to take off upper layers and put them back on again. Won’t be going back to a shoulder harness. Saddle and ROS, platform, or treestand from this point forward.

Second season doing this! For me I don’t change much on my tether or bridge. My biggest reason is I always use a backband. If I drop my tether down too much it makes my backband fall to easy, just an annoyance. I honestly haven’t even tried playing around with it, probably should this summer. I will say I’m not super picky on either placement. Usually the tree picks for me.

Tether goes just above seat height and I sit in the hangon mostly. I make my bridge as short as possible and leave enough slack in the tether to rotate some. If I need to stand I’ll just loosen the tether a bit and stand up. Can lean a little if you want but most of the weight will be on feet. I’m mostly setting the stands so that looking away from the tree is where I want to be so don’t lean a lot but have done it some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only have 2 climbs with my mission so far this season. The rest have been on a pre-hung stand or on my Lone Walker. A few hangs with it the stand was et like a stand on front side of the tree. The rest have been with hung like a platform on the back side. Makes for a really versatile and comfortable setup.

After scrapping my first 3 saddle setups before 4th time a charm I thought about hang on for this year. A hang on is BY FAR my least favorite method but my climber is not an option on my property. The hang on used normally lasted about 30 minutes after sunrise on opening morning.

If I was to prehang and leave something out in the woods it would be my hang on but I by far prefer my normal platform and I couldn't be in a hang on without my saddle.

If I was to use a hang on with a saddle it's better than a hang on normal but I've found I prefer a smaller platform that bites like crazy for side pressure and I prefer facing the tree and putting my knees in a cushion. The seat and seat post got in my way for a cushion and I found my self sitting on the hang on seat at times and the ropes got on my nerves that way.

I tried it and I might have to do it again in certain situations if I prehang or leave it hung for a bit but it is not my preference nor would it be something I do for comfort.

Tether goes just above seat height and I sit in the hangon mostly. I make my bridge as short as possible and leave enough slack in the tether to rotate some. If I need to stand I’ll just loosen the tether a bit and stand up. Can lean a little if you want but most of the weight will be on feet. I’m mostly setting the stands so that looking away from the tree is where I want to be so don’t lean a lot but have done it some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here, but I have the tether run under my arm as I'm sitting.

i bought a .5 this summer and love using it and saddle for long or all day hunts. used the .5 like a big platform. my crappy home-made platform is just about as heavy. i cant stand to put knees into the tree so i sit while straddling the tree until i'm ready to stand again. i agree with the poster above that its much easier to set a real platform than the lock on.

i bought a .5 this summer and love using it and saddle for long or all day hunts. used the .5 like a big platform. my crappy home-made platform is just about as heavy. i cant stand to put knees into the tree so i sit while straddling the tree until i'm ready to stand again. i agree with the poster above that its much easier to set a real platform than the lock on.
Not sure what the difference is between a 'real platform' and a lock-on?

Not sure what the difference is between a 'real platform' and a lock-on?
Not my earlier comment obviously, but I think he means a dedicated made-for-saddles platform such as a Predator, Mission, etc. vs a hang-on which has a platform, but is not only a platform and is certainly not designed primarily for saddle use.

I just did it for a week. I like to stand mostly but it’s nice to sit and take a break in all day sits. I set up normal and then lengthen the tether to sit. It the same as turning around with the your back to the tree.
X2. I run my tether over my left shoulder.

Back