• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle purchase?

Swamp

Will be getting a saddle before deer season next year should I get a used trophy line, mantis, or aero? Waist is a 38/40 have sticks, platform, and linemen belt. Will need tree tether and saddle.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

It completely depends on you.
I think the trophyline is the most comfortable. Comfortable comes with weight cost.
Mantis is the most minimalist and weighs nothing
The aero ? Evolution , Kestrel or Kite. 3 different animals if you ask me. Imho the Evo is most comfortable not minimalist and heaviest of the 3. The kestrel is middle ground of weight and comfort. I haven’t had the kite but I hear it’s fits a lot like the kestrel but most from what I read don’t like the buckles.
It may depend on where you hunt also. Down south a Mantis may be right up your alley where if you hunt in extreme cold you might want a trophyline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good talking points from @ImThere . One thing I will add is I have used the Mantis with and without the SBW Heater in super cold weather and it really does help quite a bit. Good luck deciding. The decisions don't seem to get any easier. I'm trying to decide which one I want to get next.

Oh and don’t forget about the JX3 hybrid from all accounts it’s fantastic!
Not quite a traditional saddle not a traditional stand. Can carry stuff in it like a backpack.

That’s another option. Who are you close to Swamp? Look at the saddle hunter map.

It completely depends on you.
I think the trophyline is the most comfortable. Comfortable comes with weight cost.
Mantis is the most minimalist and weighs nothing
The aero ? Evolution , Kestrel or Kite. 3 different animals if you ask me. Imho the Evo is most comfortable not minimalist and heaviest of the 3. The kestrel is middle ground of weight and comfort. I haven’t had the kite but I hear it’s fits a lot like the kestrel but most from what I read don’t like the buckles.
It may depend on where you hunt also. Down south a Mantis may be right up your alley where if you hunt in extreme cold you might want a trophyline.

Wow!! Thanks a lot plethora of information right here. Aero kestrel is what I had my eyes on. I like the trophy line you have for sale now. Decisions! Does the trophy line have a buckle waist?

Wow!! Thanks a lot plethora of information right here. Aero kestrel is what I had my eyes on. I like the trophy line you have for sale now. Decisions! Does the trophy line have a buckle waist?

No, you have to step in to it. It has suspenders on it to hold it up.

If your in Georgia look at the map there a bunch of guys from Georgia on the map.

Will be getting a saddle before deer season next year should I get a used trophy line, mantis, or aero? Waist is a 38/40 have sticks, platform, and linemen belt. Will need tree tether and saddle.

I love my Kestrel and as it turns out we are about the same size. I`m mostly a leaner and find the Kestrel and the modified sit drag were best for me. If you are going to be a sitter you may find out otherwise. The forum is a great place for those interested in buying and selling gear they tried and didn't like or maybe they don't need anymore. The stuff goes pretty quick but there's lots of good info,great deals, and friendly helpful folks to guide you through the process. Check often and get paypal if you don't have it already . Good luck.

I had a kestrel & sold it when I got my kite. Not much difference there, it’s a bit lighter not a big difference. I like the leg buckles on the kite better, but the stock waist buckle got replaced right away. I do prefer the fabric of the kestrel over the kite. I also have a jx3, super comfortable but a bit more weight (although it does carry really well so that’s not much of factor) I would say the jx3 is a compliment to a saddle hunter but would not be my only saddle. I love it , just wouldn’t want that to be your starting point. I would go with a whole kit though, you can start tinkering w/ rope preferences down the road. Btw I think the back band makes all the difference on long sits.

I started with a Mantis and then got a Kestrel to compare. Kestrel seems to fit me better and is more comfortable. Seems pretty indestructible as well. I find it comfortable wether sitting or leaning. Should last a long time. Wanted to try the Kite, but actually liked the cordura fabric and structure better. In Illinois, hottest temps would be early October 70-80 degrees. Very happy with it!

Last edited:
I am new to the whole saddle hunting thing. I bought a Mantis and used it all season. Once I figured out how to get it adjusted it’s pretty comfortable. I do want to try a Kestrel...

I ended up going with a TrophyLine and love it. I use the leather version. It’s very comfy but as others have said, it’s heavier than the other saddles. I haven’t had to sit all day in it but I’ve done 4-5 hour hunts and it’s been great. I had a Mantis and sold it too quick, now I wish I would’ve gotten a backband for it and tried it some more before selling it but oh well live and learn.

The main question are you trying to go minimalist or willing to carry something a little heavier?

I ended up going with a TrophyLine and love it. I use the leather version. It’s very comfy but as others have said, it’s heavier than the other saddles. I haven’t had to sit all day in it but I’ve done 4-5 hour hunts and it’s been great. I had a Mantis and sold it too quick, now I wish I would’ve gotten a backband for it and tried it some more before selling it but oh well live and learn.

The main question are you trying to go minimalist or willing to carry something a little heavier?

Agreed, then there’s saddle heavy & treestand heavy..... super light (sit drag, mantis, diy fleece) mid weight ( kestrel, kite, TL) heavyweights (guidos & jx3) just depends on what you’re looking for. I don’t really notice a lot of the weight (wear mine in). All that said I’d still lean towards something newer & still available, you can rabbit hole beyond that....

I love the Mantis. It's super comfortable for all day sits. I live in MA and I didn't find my butt got cold at all. I put it on at home and I don't even know it's there when I'm walking or riding my bike. I put my tether at nose height and have never experienced hip pinch. Everything is stock on my saddle. The only thing I did was to hook on the lower leg loops( the adjuster loops) that made it super comfy. Don't overlook the Mantis.

Agreed, then there’s saddle heavy & treestand heavy..... super light (sit drag, mantis, diy fleece) mid weight ( kestrel, kite, TL) heavyweights (guidos & jx3) just depends on what you’re looking for. I don’t really notice a lot of the weight (wear mine in). All that said I’d still lean towards something newer & still available, you can rabbit hole beyond that....
Thanks!

I have a lonewolf assault, xop sticks and lone wolf wide flip top climber. Any of the weights of the saddle will be lighter than those lol!

I love my Kestrel and as it turns out we are about the same size. I`m mostly a leaner and find the Kestrel and the modified sit drag were best for me. If you are going to be a sitter you may find out otherwise. The forum is a great place for those interested in buying and selling gear they tried and didn't like or maybe they don't need anymore. The stuff goes pretty quick but there's lots of good info,great deals, and friendly helpful folks to guide you through the process. Check often and get paypal if you don't have it already . Good luck.

Thanks!

Back