• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle recommendation: Talk me out of my irrational biases

coolhand78

Or to put it another way, talk me out of buying a Cruzr XC :)

I think I'm one of the few who has stuck with a Tethrd Mantis since it came out in 2019. I upgraded it with a Cruzr adjustable bridge, which was a big improvement, but it's now time to get something new. I'm mostly a leaner, I usually spend a lot of time walking while wearing my saddle, yet I've done numerous all day sits in my Mantis. I think I'm leaning towards a Cruzr XC as my #1 option, because it's been popular for years and has a reputation for unmatched comfort. However, I'm willing to consider alternatives, but each seems to have one or two drawbacks (in my own biased opinion, without actually trying each of these saddles). Please, talk me out of my biased opinions and assumptions. Here are other saddles I've considered, along with my reasons why I think I'd prefer the Cruzr.

CGM Cobra. Looks great, closest comparable pleated option, but:
  • Unsure about a rope belt. A metal buckle doesn't bother me, and just the idea of a rope belt seems sketchy (I know, a lot of people love them)
  • Oplux bridge. I think I prefer an amsteel bridge (because it's all I've known, and I love the Cruzr version)
Overwatch Orion. Looks great, and likely a good pleated option, but:
  • Not sure if I'd like the pleat adjusters
  • Sterling 9mm bridge, when I think I prefer the Cruzr amsteel bridge
  • More expensive than the Cruzr
  • Currently sold out?
TX5, has the reputation of being the best, but:
  • Lonestar is expensive. Don't think I can justify it when the Cruzr has such a good reputation
  • How does the Rayder compare to the Cruzr XC? Understand pleated vs. non-pleated is somewhat apples & oranges
  • Floating waist belt. Cool feature, but not necessary for me, and structurally less secure?
  • What is the bridge material?
Wood Saddle, looks nice, but:
  • Newer, less information, doesn't have the popular reputation as Cruzr
Ok, what aspects am I over thinking? Which of my assumptions are stupid? Why should I buy something other than the Cruzr? Or just tell me to buy the damn Cruzr :)

Thank you for your advice !

EDIT: I don't want this to sound like I'm looking for a reason to dislike a Cruzr. On the contrary, it seems to have been the most popular for years, but now it seems like so many guys are trying other saddles - and I'm unsure why.

Last edited:
I hunted out of Cruzr XC for 2 years, and then bought a Woods Deluxe last year and hunted with it last season. I still have both.

The only advantages the Cruzr XC over the Woods is the Cruzr is slightly larger and the mesh panel stretches a little and might be a touch more comfortable.

The Woods Deluxe build quality is significantly better as far as appearance and stitching (not that the Cruzr XC is bad....just that the Woods is close to perfect). The Woods waist belt is thicker and built better and uses a real Cobra buckle. You can also get real Cobras on the legs too. In comparison, the Cruzr XC buckles are likely not rated or from a company you've heard of. 5 minutes on ebay or alibaba and you'll find identical looking buckles for like $5 a pop. The amsteel bridge on the Woods is better (blake's hitch is cleaner and stronger). All the materials on the Woods seem thicker and a little stiffer as a result (doesn't cause discomfort).

Comfort is close enough to be a wash. I'm mostly a leaner also, and I can do an all day sit/lean in either one no problem.

The Cruzr is now my backup/rain saddle. I only wore it last year when it was going to rain one day and then clear up. I would get the Cruzr wet and then hang to dry.

As far as reputation, the Woods is very well liked by folks here. Many of us have one, and the maker is an active member here.

I hunted out of Cruzr XC for 2 years, and then bought a Woods Deluxe last year and hunted with it last season. I still have both.

The only advantages the Cruzr XC over the Woods is the Cruzr is slightly larger and the mesh panel stretches a little and might be a touch more comfortable.

The Woods Deluxe build quality is significantly better as far as appearance and stitching (not that the Cruzr XC is bad....just that the Woods is close to perfect). The Woods waist belt is thicker and built better and uses a real Cobra buckle. You can also get real Cobras on the legs too. In comparison, the Cruzr XC buckles are likely not rated or from a company you've heard of. 5 minutes on ebay or alibaba and you'll find identical looking buckles for like $5 a pop. The amsteel bridge on the Woods is better (blake's hitch is cleaner and stronger). All the materials on the Woods seem thicker and a little stiffer as a result (doesn't cause discomfort).

Comfort is close enough to be a wash. I'm mostly a leaner also, and I can do an all day sit/lean in either one no problem.

The Cruzr is now my backup/rain saddle. I only wore it last year when it was going to rain one day and then clear up. I would get the Cruzr wet and then hang to dry.

Thank you! This is the kind of info I'm after in this discussion. I will definitely have a closer look at the Woods Deluxe.

Thank you! This is the kind of info I'm after in this discussion. I will definitely have a closer look at the Woods Deluxe.

I added one edit to my original post after you'd replied (I'm bad about that). It read.

As far as reputation, the Woods is very well liked by folks here. Many of us have one, and the maker is an active member here.

"talk me out of my irrational biases"... you do know you're on saddlehunter right? im surprised nobody has mentioned the natural solution of buying a few, pretending you'll list the ones you "dont like" on the classifieds, and then putting them in the closet as backups

that said if i buy another saddle ( i hunt out of an original latitude method and have a drey that i haven't given a fair shake yet) it'll be a woods.

I added one edit to my original post after you'd replied (I'm bad about that). It read.

One other question - Does the pleat stay closed while walking and when you don't want it open? This would be my first time with a pleated saddle, but maybe this was only a problem with the Flex.

One other question - Does the pleat stay closed while walking and when you don't want it open? This would be my first time with a pleated saddle, but maybe this was only a problem with the Flex.

i don't know, i never walk with a saddle on.....always put on at the tree

i walked with the cruzr on enough to know i don't like it...the cruzr slid down a bit but probably my fault

I’m going to just say, I have an XC and it’s comfortable. I added a set of first lite suspenders to it last year and that is an absolute necessity for those who walk with a saddle if you ask me. I walk wearing mine without issue. I do however, leave the leg straps disconnected until I’m at the tree I want to climb. So if my saddle pleat does open it just kind of hangs back there and doesn’t bother me at all.

Here is an option to consider: https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/tx5-reaper.52330/

Additionally, do not let an expert level marketing campaign online deter you from a lesser known company like Wood Saddles. This forum is comprised of many people who have tried all the saddles. Literally, ALL the saddles. When I first joined I would read about wood saddles in numerous threads but not know what everyone was referencing….until I figured it out.

For example, in the firearms industry you always have your large companies that most everyone knows. Then you have the small boutique builders that the professionals go to. Same in the knife world. Same in the auto industry. Same in the trad bow world and so on and so on.

The good thing is you can’t go terribly wrong with any of them and the classifieds section is always open to buy or sell or trade saddles that aren’t working for you.

Last edited:
You seem pretty hung up on the amsteel bridge, they are nice. With Wood and CGM you're going to get what you ask for, amsteel or rope, and TX5 I'm sure would work with you, that's part of their thing. I just got a Wood Deluxe myself and I love it.

They're all pretty good choices! I have no experience with TX5 but you can find those in the classifieds. Very very rarely do you see a CGM. I'm not sure I've ever seen a Wood saddle in the classifieds.

I'll go out on a limb and claim, with no proof whatsoever, that other than Mr wood, I have logged more miles on his saddle than anybody else. I wear it from the truck walking thru some pretty yucky terrain and the pleat has always remained "closed". The waist belt may need to be adjusted couple times during the day but considering the amount of bending/stooping/riding a bicycle etc I'd call it a non-issue. IMO u cant go wrong with wood or CGM.

Here’s another review for the Wood saddle. best and most comfortable saddle ive ever hunted out of. I’ve owned (or sat in) most out there. There are some great saddle choices on the market, but the Wood has become my favorite. Roberts knowledge about ropes, stitching, saddle design, and the manufacturing process is second to none (IMO). plus all the testing he conducts. Got four guys i know that sold their other saddles to hunt out of a Wood. There’s a reason you dont see them in the classified ads!!!

I own a Cruzr xc, I’ve sat in TX5 lonestar and reaper, I own the Overwatch orion, I own the Wood Deluxe, and Ive spent quite a bit of time in a CGM cobra and you truly cannot go wrong with any of them. I am a little biased so I won’t say which one(s) are my favorite. I will say this.
All of them are well built, a couple of them have been drop tested and I can promise you if you ever have an issue with any of those saddles, every one of those companies will take care of you quickly. Each have their advantages over the other and all of them will be way better than the saddle you were hunting out of.
PS the rest of you guys have flattered me. Y’all truly have. At some point I hope to have the opportunity to hunt with each of you. It’s cool to hear honest feedback.

CGM Cobra. Looks great, closest comparable pleated option, but:
  • Unsure about a rope belt. A metal buckle doesn't bother me, and just the idea of a rope belt seems sketchy (I know, a lot of people love them)
  • Oplux bridge. I think I prefer an amsteel bridge (because it's all I've known, and I love the Cruzr version)
Rope belt... I was a doubter like you. Now I am a believer. Stinks you can't open it..but put it on, and forget about it.
Bridges are eazy to replace. Could probably order it with something else it if you asked Jerry. Or just spend $30 extra from Cruzer and install it your self.
Jerry at CGM is top notch customer service. No issues there. If you like to walk a long way with it, that thing pulls up out of the way great.

I want to echo what @MattMan81 said about the bridge, it's pretty cheap and easy to change if they won't sell you amsteel up front but all of the options will. I think cruzr is the only one on the list that says this is it, here are add on if you want them. Might be wrong.

If you're unsure about a pleated saddle , or specifically the adjusters, they might be a good thing. You could cinch it up and it'll probably be a lot like a single panel. Also you can set stops if you want in-between open and closed. Gives options when you've been hanging a while. Reach out and talk the saddle builders, they're good dudes! They'll tell you honest answers and try to get you what's right for you!

EDIT: I don't want this to sound like I'm looking for a reason to dislike a Cruzr. On the contrary, it seems to have been the most popular for years, but now it seems like so many guys are trying other saddles - and I'm unsure why.

I don't think anyone is against Cruzr , I almost want to tag a guy or two that loves their XC for balance.

I think as a community, we try things and tinker. Saddles are expensive but not immune from our desire to fix what's not broke lol. So if you like the mantis, maybe just stay with it or get another one.

I also think it's that sense of community that brings us all out to say nice things about our favorite companies. Especially since CGM, Wood and Overwatch have a presence here, maybe not as active as they once were. Still more like a friend or neighbor than a no face corporation.

I'm pretty long winded today, sorry :sweatsmile:

Thanks everyone for your well thought out information and advice. It's funny, because I've been a member here since 2019, but I'm certainly not very active. I just pop in now and then when I have a new idea or question, or a thought to consider. So it was easy for me to be TOTALLY IGNORANT of a great company/product like Wood saddles. All of you have opened my eyes.

Keep in mind the Overwatch can be customized to your specifications and the customer service can’t be beat. Cruzr is also a nice comfortable saddle. Either way, I think you won’t miss the Tethrd saddle. If I were picking from your list I would pick an Overwatch customized to my specs followed by a Cruzr.

Back