• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle Snacks

HuntNorthEast

So I've been on hibernation dad diet it seems lately. I've been bringing snacks in on the cold days and finding that I stay warmer when I munch down something to keep the calories up.

Day 1 of snacking it was a loaded brownie, thing must have weighed a pound or better and was fudgey with chocolate chips in it. Dense, filling, and made my sit to be honest.

After day 1 I thought to myself, that was only a 3 hour sit...what in the world have I been missing out on...

Day 2, cornbread biscuits, 3 of em to be exact... Fired a snapchat over to my buddy with a big smile on my face stuffing one down my grocery hole. Couldn't have been more excited about something so minuscule.

As you mobile hunters know, even crushing a good meal prior to going in, there's a fine line between eating too much and being sluggish/tired, or not eating enough and getting the hungry grumbles in the tree. Mobile hunting usually brings a crazy walk in/out of the woods trying to get to the hard to reach places and burns a ton of calories.

So it lead me to this, lets hear everyone's favorite saddle snacks! We need variety here, this is business!
HuntNorthEast1.png

Trail mix us my go-to. Good blend of protein, carbs, fat, and sugar. Doesn't go bad, need to be heated, or make too much mess. I usually just stash handfuls in my pockets.

I've survived plenty of overnight and weekend hunts off of just trail mix. A big ole bag of it, a case of water, and a sleeping bag in the back of the buggy and I can be off to the races.

Jerky, cheese, and Cliff Bars. If I’m going to be out longer than 5 hours I’ll pack a sandwich and some crackers as a “meal”.

Snickers bars. I don't have a sweet tooth and eat zero candy the rest of the year but some reason all day rut sits I can't be without them. Various other granola bars. I like the banana chocolate Lara bars a lot also.

Apples for sure. Good local honeycrisps and winesaps, at least 2 for an all day sit.

Homemade deer baloney, tasty stuff, downside is I try to avoid salty stuff because then I need more water, and water is heavier than anything else I pack in.

Bacon too, always go for some bacon.

Hunt hungry is good to a point... minimal breakfast and coffee only to sustain me. By 8pmbinhad a bad headache...

Fine line to keep energy up and bathroom interruptions down is a big thing.

I try to eat sweet baked goods for the full feeling and sugar boost. I see a lot of you move towards the protein packs, I'll give that a shot!

I try to stick with stuff that a deer would eat. I used to carry apples in by the sack full and just leave them on the ground until I wanted one.
I actually carried them in my pack. Peanut butter and honey sandwiches was another non perishable favorite.
Then came keto. So now I only carry a snack for an all day sit. 4 tbsp peanut butter in a Tupperware bowl, add two tbsp your favorite stevia sweetener. If your trying to lose weight add a tbsp if cocoa and microwave it just long enough to soften peanut butter enough to mix up. If you’re not trying to lose weight Leave the cocoa out and heat to soften then mix and add two scoops of your favorite chocolate flavor protein shake mix and just enough water to get the powder to blend well with the pb. If it’s cold out or your going to eat it soon it’s better with heavy whipping cream instead of water. I just don’t trust it to keep on our delightful 80-90 degree days afield. I’ll get a spoonful every now and then Or I can stop and eat it In just a few minutes But it’s enough to keep me going all day. As with any concentrated energy type meal replacer try before you use it in the woods. It may or may not settle well on your stomach.

Also, a subway sammich with all the veggies, whole wheat, and no dressing is awesome. Add your own when you get ready to eat so the bread doesn't get soggy. Half for lunch and half for dinner is a great meal if you're on the go.
Been there, done that. Hits the spot. Had half before going in and then this half later in the day in the tree.
1A27FE69-F74F-4D65-914E-4CEF323E1E19.jpeg

I love apples, but how do you eat them quietly? I always feel like anything within 100 yards can hear me, especially that 1st bite. :)
I usually stick with trail mix, pb sandwiches, etc.

i like those peanut butter cracker packs for a snack in the woods, throw them into a ziplock and good to go

I love apples, but how do you eat them quietly? I always feel like anything within 100 yards can hear me, especially that 1st bite. :)
I usually stick with trail mix, pb sandwiches, etc.
It does feel loud, but I think it's because it is "in your head" and so close to your ears. Maybe we should get our wife or buddy to eat an apple while we stand at varying distances to check the sound level. Maybe it could be an audio attractant like the "acorn kruncher" :tearsofjoy:

Also, other animals are making eating noises and it doesn't seem to bother them.

Back