• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Safeguard Rappelling Question

parkconner

SH Member
Was doing some SRT practice the other day and I had no problem getting up the tree but rappelling was alittle bit of a pain. I had a heck of a time working the lever on my safeguard to release rope slowly and rappel down. It’s a new safeguard so I don’t think it’s faulty. I don’t have near the trouble working it at ground level and having tension on the line. Anyone else have this issue? Is it just a learning curve thing?

What size rope are you using? This is with 8.5mm rope. Stay tuned, I'll add my other video with 11.4mm rope.
Here it is with 11.4mm rope; Bluwater Assault line. Very stiff.
If you held the tag end of your line VERY FIRMLY you may be able to control your descent with that arm and just pull the Safeguard handle back all the way. I should try it.

Last edited:
Was doing some SRT practice the other day and I had no problem getting up the tree but rappelling was alittle bit of a pain. I had a heck of a time working the lever on my safeguard to release rope slowly and rappel down. It’s a new safeguard so I don’t think it’s faulty. I don’t have near the trouble working it at ground level and having tension on the line. Anyone else have this issue? Is it just a learning curve thing?

I think it’s more of a learning curve. It was like that for me at first too and I swore I’d always back it up with an autoblock. Now that I have practiced more with the safegaurd you start to get the feel of how much pressure to pull to control the speed a little better.

Was using 9mm HTP. Just glad to hear I wasn’t doing anything wrong with the safeguard, sounds like I just need more practice with it.

Was using 9mm HTP. Just glad to hear I wasn’t doing anything wrong with the safeguard, sounds like I just need more practice with it.
I have 9mm HTP as well and it is as smooth on the descent as my 8.5mm. I don't know about anything I have not tried. I think I will put the 11.4mm rope up the tree in my backyard and try the full open Safeguard with the tag end of the rope firmly anchored to my hip. I mean my hand held to my hip with the rope in it.

Back