• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

***Safety Warning*** - Ropeman 1 and Lineman's Belt w/ Tree Sleeve

7x57_Mauser

Had a scary moment and small fall today, but luckily all the gear held up and did what it was supposed to. This is in NO WAY a problem with any individual components from either company (I'm completely satisfied with respect to the individual components), but more of a safety warning of sorts for anyone who is using an ascender such as the Ropeman 1 or 2 AND the a lineman's belt that has a protective "sleeve" (tree condom) such as the Aero Hunter Lineman's belt (Lineman's Belt).

I was climbing a large diameter tree today via WE steps and I had loosened my lineman's belt to be able to get it over scar where a branch had broken off. Once I was above the scar, I cinched my lineman's belt down with one hand and didn't look at it. Well, all hell broke loose, literally, at that point. Inadvertently the protective sleeve had feed itself into the Ropeman, effectively defeating it. Luckily, Aerohunter tied a stopper knot at the end of the rope, and I had tied an additional one further upstream of the tag end. The stopper knot held, and I swung down crashing into the tree. I'd say the total vertical height that I fell was bout 3 feet. It was a REALLY bad feeling when I leaned back, expecting to feel the lineman's belt under tension, but didn't. Falling backwards out of a tree is a bad feeling.

Anyways, I'm counting my blessings. Just a few scratches from the bark, but I wanted to make everyone aware of this "failure mechanism." I was a Naval Aviator in the Marines in my former life, and when something happened that could effect the fleet, a "red stripe" letter was sent out. Same here. Everyone should be aware that if something shims the pawls in a rope man, it obviously won't bite down.

I'll try to get some pictures of what I'm talking about if it doesn't make sense.

Thanks for the heads up. That's scary. I'm glad you're alright. Really...thanks for the info buddy.

Last edited:
Glad you're ok sir! This just made the extra $25 I spent on my lineman's and tether (to get a tight eye at each tag end) seem like pennies. Thanks for your service also!!

Attachments

• IMG_20190127_173909738.jpg
    IMG_20190127_173909738.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 205
Great heads up, Thanks for posting. These are the things we all need to be aware of. I like the "Red Stripe" analogy. Sharing these close calls is what will help keep us all aware and better informed, aka SAFE.

Glad your ok. Can't take anything for granted when we leave the ground. I know exactly what your talking about. Good advice may help someone from a good scare or worse.

Man, scary stuff. Glad you are ok. And there is absolutely no need for those protective sleeves. There just honestly isn’t in our application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something I never even considered but obviously a very serious concern. Thanks for the heads up. Glad your Ok.

Holy crap. Thanks for the heads up. Glad you are ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im not sure I understand what we are referring to. Protective sleeve? I use two ropeman 1's in my setup are you talking about the layeron the outside of the rope? Thanks

There's a protective cover over the rope that can be slid along the rope to protect the rope from wear on the tree. That's what got caught in the ropeman.

Good post- I have a small cover that camouflages my ropeman 1 on my tether . I notice that sometimes it gets tangled up and prevents the rope man from doing it s job. Same kind of issue

Thanks for the clarification. Has anyone ever had or heard of a ropeman 1 failure?

Back